Speed Up MBP?

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
My wife's MacBook is running like a dog and I have no idea why. Is there a way to diagnose issues on a MAC? How do you cleanup temporary files?

My wife's MacBook is running like a dog and I have no idea why. Is there a way to diagnose issues on a MAC? How do you cleanup temporary files?

Couple of ideas. Is Time Machine running? That thing is a hog?

Go to Spotlight, and check to see if it is indexing. Once a month it slows my machine down. Very annoying.

Consider an app like mini-usage. WIll show you everything that is running in memory and by thread. I use it all the time. My mbp usually runs with 4 - 9% of processor

rockymtnhigh said:
Couple of ideas. Is Time Machine running? That thing is a hog?

Go to Spotlight, and check to see if it is indexing. Once a month it slows my machine down. Very annoying.

Consider an app like mini-usage. WIll show you everything that is running in memory and by thread. I use it all the time. My mbp usually runs with 4 - 9% of processor

It was Time Machine. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Get Time Machine Editor. It allows you to set TM to run on your schedule. These days I have no need for the constant backups it wants to do, so I have mine set to run once a day in the middle of the night.

It is a great app if you do that.

But frankly I never actually noticed a slowdown when it was running in default mode. Maybe because I use a Time Capsule for it?

lparsons21 said:
Get Time Machine Editor. It allows you to set TM to run on your schedule. These days I have no need for the constant backups it wants to do, so I have mine set to run once a day in the middle of the night.

It is a great app if you do that.

But frankly I never actually noticed a slowdown when it was running in default mode. Maybe because I use a Time Capsule for it?

I have TM Editor. It is helpful. But with a laptop I don't leave mine on overnight. It s usually in sleep mode. I have tried using TM with a FireWire drive connected directly, and a hard drive attached to an airport extreme. Both are very slow, but it usually doesn't bring the machine down to a crawl, although it does chew up CPU resources.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)