Spiderman 3 a bust.

is spiderman3 on blu ray full screen just got it with a ps3 todayand have black bars on top and bottom

One of the nice things about BD and HD-DVD discs is that they maintain the movies orginal aspect ratio. While most HDTVs are 16x9 which equates roughly to 1.85 to 1 alot of movies are shot in differant ratios. Spiderman3 was shot 2.40 to 1 so on a HDTV you will see black bars above and below the picture.

When you viewed DVDs there were mostly resized to the HDTV ratio. This at times lost some content and most purist would prefer the correct aspect ratio to having the screen on their HDTV completely filled. You can always expand your picture (some HDTVs allow this) to cover the complete screen but you will lose some picture.

Only way to really avoid this with BDs and HD-DVDs is to use a HD projector onto a screen. Then you will not notice the narrower picture. If you have the right size HDTV for your viewing distance and it is adjusted properly you will enjoy the picture and not even notice the black bars after a short period of time.

Or are you pulling them out of your hat like you usually do?
Talking about numbers and where they are pulled from:
While most HDTVs are 16x9 which equates roughly to 1.85 to 1...
Really?
Last time I checked it's roughly 1.78...
Have you ever used a calculator? Do you know what it actually is?

Repeat after me: Don't use numbers! Don't use numbers!
It makes you look even more <...snip...> than you are in reality!

Diogen.

Thanks Joesp for the response I figured it out after I posted and enjoyed the movie experience

Talking about numbers and where they are pulled from:
Really?
Last time I checked it's roughly 1.78...
Have you ever used a calculator? Do you know what it actually is?

Repeat after me: Don't use numbers! Don't use numbers!
It makes you look even more <...snip...> than you are in reality!

Diogen.

You are right -- I did a quick goole to try and get the numbers correct and the site I used was wrong - they stated a cinema ratio and not the standard HDTV ratio (even though not all HDTVs are exactly 16x9- but we won't go there okay?). Ever made a mistake you owed up to? So, did I goof anything else up or are you okay with the rest of the post. I sure don't want to have ya breathing down my neck as you only show up if I make a mistake. I guess that is all you have to offer to the gentleman who asked why his tv has black bars -- that I goofed the numbers? Thanks for your input.

Thanks for your input.
You are welcome.
With most television sets there is no difference in how 1.85 and 1.78 material is seen because of the inherent overscan (5% if you are lucky).

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts