Spike TV Star Wars Marathon!!!

reuben432

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2004
So I was watching Married With Children this morning and couldn't help but notice a commercial for the Star Wars Marathon this weekend starting Friday. Will these infact be in HD??? I wonder how the PQ will compare to my DVD boxset I currently own. Until Lucas releases these in Bluray, this may be the closest to HD we get :D

I prefer the 16:9 that Spike broadcasts. Yes, get your pitchforks, you cinema purists, but I paid for 512 square inches of display, and I want to use it. I grew up watching Star Wars on VHS and broadcast, "reformatted to fit your screen." When I was a teenager, I saw them in the theaters. I also recently rented e4/5/6 on widescreen (2.35:1) DVD for my 9 year old to experience for the first time.

You know what I got from the cinematic aspect ratio? Nothing. Not a darned thing was missed. The black bars at the top and bottom of the screen are far more distracting than the extra 33% of STAR FIELDS and TAPESTRIES on the ends of the screen are worth. Same thing for Dances with Wolves, Blade Runner, Miami Vice, and friggin' TRON.

I like the way USA, Spike, and others "mutilate the [fat-headed] director's vision" so that I get the important stuff, and don't waste power drawing black bars with my LCD. I pray for a time when the Sony Superbit DVD comes back; 720*576 anamorphic frame size @24FPS, using the full 9Mb/s on 8.5GB dual-layer DVDs. Screw this $200-300 BD player that requires an ethernet connection; my $100 DVD recorder upconverts just fine, thank you.

These are HD but not OAR, Spike has been running the Star Wars Movies for awhile...Good PQ...
I am a huge Star Wars fan, but Spike has done is sooo much and I still have them saved on my DVR (as well as on DVD), that seeing this again is not that big of a deal.

Original Aspect Ratio 2.35:1 is typical Panavision, 16:9 (~1.77-1.85) is HD, 4:3 (1.33:1) is what you grew up with. There are actually lots of aspect ratios, but these are most common.

Note: Snow White was 4:3, Jungle Book was 16:9, and Cars is 2.35:1.

Would you believe I've never seen the Star Wars movies? Actually, I watched Episode II one time but it didn't make any sense since I hadn't seen the others. I think I will DVR these this weekend though.

Would you believe I've never seen the Star Wars movies? Actually, I watched Episode II one time but it didn't make any sense since I hadn't seen the others. I think I will DVR these this weekend though.

Better to start with Episode 4, 5, and 6 and then do the new 3. Otherwise there's some serious spoilers :D

I prefer the 16:9 that Spike broadcasts. Yes, get your pitchforks, you cinema purists, but I paid for 512 square inches of display, and I want to use it. I grew up watching Star Wars on VHS and broadcast, "reformatted to fit your screen." When I was a teenager, I saw them in the theaters. I also recently rented e4/5/6 on widescreen (2.35:1) DVD for my 9 year old to experience for the first time.

You know what I got from the cinematic aspect ratio? Nothing. Not a darned thing was missed. The black bars at the top and bottom of the screen are far more distracting than the extra 33% of STAR FIELDS and TAPESTRIES on the ends of the screen are worth. Same thing for Dances with Wolves, Blade Runner, Miami Vice, and friggin' TRON.

I like the way USA, Spike, and others "mutilate the [fat-headed] director's vision" so that I get the important stuff, and don't waste power drawing black bars with my LCD. I pray for a time when the Sony Superbit DVD comes back; 720*576 anamorphic frame size @24FPS, using the full 9Mb/s on 8.5GB dual-layer DVDs. Screw this $200-300 BD player that requires an ethernet connection; my $100 DVD recorder upconverts just fine, thank you.

Wow

Better to start with Episode 4, 5, and 6 and then do the new 3. Otherwise there's some serious spoilers :D

If you don't know THEE spoiler from ESB, congratulations on leaving your bomb shelter. As you can see, we are not radioactive zombies, as there was no nuclear war.

But by all means, the original trilogy, then the new trilogy. Actually, if you can, skip the Lucas E1 and pick up "the Phantom Edit" instead. And fast foward through the romantic dialog in E2.

Yes. The second trilogy (1,2,3) make a good 3.5 hour movie after all the crap is removed, including "Yippy! I'm going to be a jedi!". the line that made me lose total interest in Ep 1.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)