Split a signal from a single RG6

Status
Please reply by conversation.

alex9

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Oct 18, 2009
USA
I've got an old HD dish with the funny shape and 3 LNBs. The previous owner had some trouble with HD channels but SD was just fine. I'm only interested in SD. I took out the LNBs to look at the outputs and there are 4 of them as shown in the pictures below. The big one in the center say 'Integrated Ka/Ku LNBs (for use with WNC's ka/ku dish antenna only' and the model number, FW9. The other 2 smaller ones say, '110/119 LNBs (for use with WNC's Integrated ka/ku LNBs only) and model FW2. So there are 4 outputs on the FW9 with 2 cables coming out and 2 unused (previous owner's setup) and I'm trying to figure out how I can run a single cable from 1 of the outputs into my house and then split the signal into 2 seperate cables with this splitter and run them into the 2 inputs on my DVR.
The reason for all this is simply the money. I'm not sure exactly where I'm going to be able to setup the dish because my house is mostly surrounded with trees. I have my Internet Dish 100 ft from the house on a pole. I might have to do something similar with this one. 1 cable + the splitter, rg6 ends and crimper ends up being cheaper then getting 2 cables + rg6 ends & crimper.

My two questions are: Can I run a single cable from one of the outputs and split it into two signals with the above mentioned splitter and into the two dvr inputs, and which LNB output do I connect it to?

I hope all that makes sense and any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0936.jpg
    IMG_0936.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0939.jpg
    IMG_0939.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0940.jpg
    IMG_0940.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 170
You can't split the sat line. You have to run two cables from that dish to the DVR.

The alternative is much more expensive than getting some RG6 and crimper and connections.

Or update that old LNB and get the SWM3 or SWM5 LNB which only sends a single coax into the house.. then u can split it up to 8 with the proper splitter.

you can use any of the outputs on the LNB it makes no difference.....and no you can not split it, you must use 2 lines

Or update that old LNB and get the SWM3 or SWM5 LNB which only sends a single coax into the house.. then u can split it up to 8 with the proper splitter.
Which is one of the expensive alternatives. :)

And we don't know if his receivers are SWM capable.

No but seeing he is interested in SD only that leaves th D12 and R16/R22 as SD receivers that are SWM compatible.

He may have an R10 or older receivers.

We need the OP to tell us.

I agree that if he has all SWM capable receivers the SWM3 is the way to go.

I was thinking of the SWM8 to connect to the current dish.

So I can't split the signal because of the type of LNB I'm using. Correct?
SAMSUNG SIR-S4080R is the DVR I'll be using.
Someone told me I should setup the dish as an 18" and connect to 101W only for SD channels so do I use the same 2 outputs that were previously used? And should/can I disconnect the 2 attached LNBs?

Only the SWM LNB output can be split.
Your dish is the older AT9 5 LNB dish also known as the sidecar.
Each of the four outputs are capable of delivering signals from all five satellites. So with your receiver you need to use any two of the four outputs. Don't disconnect any of the LNBs as that would screw up the built in multiswitch operation. If that receiver can setup for the Phase III triple LNB, use that, otherwise the 18" single LNB is fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)