Split one DVR connection into 2?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jazzcat

Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I so hope you can and will help me! We are splitting our daughters' rom into 2 smaller roms so hey can have privacy now that the older is a teen,,, Anyway, they already have a DVR in there for Tivoing things to wathch when they are allowed to watch TV etc. Is thee some way I cab just split the double cable that is already going in there into another DVR? If necessary, I don't care if she cannot watch and record at the same time.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
Ivy

You can run 2 TV's out of one DVR via the video outputs but whatever is on in room A will also be on in room B; they will not be able to tune individually.

You cant just split the incoming RG6 lines from the current DVR into another one.

Depending on what setup you have now you could add a multi-switch to add an additional fully functioning receiver.

What setup to you have now?

Dish?

Switch?

Number of & types receivers?

Using a multiswitch can create addional lines for another DVR. However, those DVRs will only be able to receive channels from the 101 sat. Anothr solution is to just use two DVRs in single tuner mode, one for each daughter.

Because the OP mentioned that there are only two lines running to that room. You need four to connect to a 4x switch to see all sats.

Right; connect it BEFORE all the units like I mentioned. He should have access to this point and should have no issues achieving this; its minimal work to achieve the most desired result (aka doing it right).. It shouldn't be rocket science and he could always call a tech inclined buddy or an installer.

The OP didn't mention where all lines from the dish were located. He also didn't answer the questions about what dish etc he has. You also implied that the switch be connected before the receivers. I took that as just the ones in the room.

Oh I cannot believe I received such kowledgeably answers so quickly! THnak you. 1 - I have no idea what all the numbers and such mean. I have Direct Tv. Hughes receivers and one Hughes DVR non HD. This is how it is connected now. There are two lines in from teh satellite to a connector/router(?). From that extend 4 more cables. One to the Master Bedroom, one to the girls' room and the last to what is now the family room about to be split to become the older girl's room. This last room where the DVR is located and we want to split this into 2 DVRs. Does this help? Why can I not split the 2 cables already running there and then have 4? Wouldn't that work? As I said, if she can not record and watch at the same time that is just fine with us.

Thnank you.

are you wanting to add an additonal DVR? If not, then there is no need to do any "splitting" or switching.

ebay "Zinwell 3x4 switch" Thats all you need. It will make your current two (DVR) lines into 4 usable lines.

OK, I have gotten this info from the box. It is a Perfect Vision, 3 x 4 multi switch, 40 - 2150 MHZ, RX 1,2,3,4. RX 1 & 2 are used for the DVR. The satellite is plugged into an 18v and a 13v. DOes this help at all?

OK, I have gotten this info from the box. It is a Perfect Vision, 3 x 4 multi switch, 40 - 2150 MHZ, RX 1,2,3,4. RX 1 & 2 are used for the DVR. The satellite is plugged into an 18v and a 13v. DOes this help at all?

Yes, I want to add a DVR. Thank you.

OK, Thank you. I did find a couple on ebay. so, will it come with directions as to its use? I assume I place the 2 cables currently dedicated to the DVR into the smll end and then how do I know of he 4 new ones, wich to send where? Sorry to be such a dunce. Have too start somewhere, right? Could I just get one at Fry's?

THANK YOU!!!

You need another one of these. Whether its perfect vision, zinwell, ect ..., it doesn't matter much. Just replicate what you currently have setup now.

Find a switch (ebay, flag a DTV van down .. and no, you can't pick them up in a store), take your two current leads into the DVR and connect them into the 13V/18V part of the switch. It doesn't matter which. Terminate/cap the OTA (not important if you dont')

As for the four outputs (RX 1, 2, 3, 4), it doesn't matter what order they go into the dvr's...just run 2 cables from two of the out puts into one DVR and the other two into the new DVR.

That simple :)

Wow! I love thi site! You are my new best friends. Spaceghost - THANK YOU!! I will order it from ebay today. Who knew it could be so simple?

SIncerely, Jazzcat

Jazzczf don't hide the new multiswitch in the wall when you do connect it leave access to it for future problems.

Find a switch (ebay, flag a DTV van down .. and no, you can't pick them up in a store), take your two current leads into the DVR and connect them into the 13V/18V part of the switch. It doesn't matter which. Terminate/cap the OTA (not important if you dont')

When I originally installed Directv a few years back, I bought a 3x4 multiswitch at Best Buy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)