Splitter for install?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scotsmanron

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Florida
I'm having my OTA install done tomorrow. When I talked to the CSR he suggested that I go buy a better splitter than the one that they were going to supply. HUH???

Why?

And if I do need to, what am I looking for? I'm having the OTA put to two rooms.

They may be talking about some splitter/amplifier for the OTA line. I was told when I had my OTA installed that it could only be sent to one receiver because you would lose too much signal if you split it. I suppose it depends on what type of antenna and how far you are from the broadcast.

dragon,I have a similar situation.We already have the OTA up and run into the living room.We have 2 H20 receivers.What would be the best option for running a 2nd OTA line to the bedroom?

steve615 said:
dragon,I have a similar situation.We already have the OTA up and run into the living room.We have 2 H20 receivers.What would be the best option for running a 2nd OTA line to the bedroom?

My understanding is that with the AT9/new satellites, you can no longer diplex the OTA signal as they are using the same frequencies. (When they actually start broadcasting that is). You need a separate line for the OTA. Whether you can split your OTA depends on your particular antenna/situation I believe.

Thanks for the reply cal87.I think I will try the amp option first.If that doesn't work,it will be another run from the OTA to the bedroom.

Doesn't matter if you split it in the house or at the antenna, you'll still get loss across the splitter. If you are getting a pretty strong signal now, a 2 way splitter might not cause reception problems, if it's borderline then a distribution amplifier would help prevent the loss in splitting the signal.

cal87 said:
They may be talking about some splitter/amplifier for the OTA line. I was told when I had my OTA installed that it could only be sent to one receiver because you would lose too much signal if you split it. I suppose it depends on what type of antenna and how far you are from the broadcast.

if your cables and connectors are installed correctly the signal loss should not be significant, although depending on the antenna you use you may need an amplifier

Well here is what happened. I ordered the HD DVR and the OTA install. When the installer got here he called his supervisor and they wouldn't let him split the OTA signal. They wanted to put in two antennas!!!! I said no, lets see what the one will do to one TV and then if that works then we can do the second. The house was going to look like a CIA listening post!!! Well, I can't get any OTA HDs. I called D* and they are going to do the install and wiring free when I get an upgraded antenna. This was a free install to begin with, so I can't complain to much, but they will have to move the one that the did today, there is no way that the new antenna, as big as they are would fit there.

I've just got to see if I can find a local dealer for OTAs now, besides Radio Shack.

One thing...my SD pictures are a little worse with the 10-250 compared to the HD20. What's up with that?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts