Splitters, diplexers, backfeeds, HELP!!!

Dissonance

Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
I've done a fair amount of lurking over the years and a bunch of searching recently. Mostly, I just end up more confused.

Here's my setup:

Dish RG6 comes into the basement on one end of the house and runs directly to the Man Cave. Local cable comes into the basement on the other end and splits off to various locations.

I have a single 510 in the basement (Man Cave room) that feeds an SDTV (right next to the receiver) via S-vid and an HDTV on the main level via coax. There is local cable line that feeds into the 510.

There is only one cable (coax) going to the HDTV. This cable from the 510 supplies my D programming and my local cable including several ClearQAM HD channels.

On Friday the tech is coming to upgrade me to a 622 (TurboHD Bronze only). As I don't have super long HDMI or componant cables, I plan on putting the 622 on the upstairs level next to the HDTV. My wife would prefer that I don't run more lines through the floor.

The question:

1. Can I get my local cable and the Dish HD signals to the receiver on one line.

2. If I decide to use the receiver in 2-TV mode can I send the signal back out the same RG6?

3. What happens (cable-wise) when I decide to add an antenna to get OTA HD?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense. I get dizzy everytime I try to piece it together.

The answer to #1 is yes, probably. You can use a set of diplexers to run the cable and sat signal together as long as the cable signal is at a low enough frequency. Sometimes cable signals are at a frequency that interferes with the satellite signal when diplexed. Try it and see what happens.

#2 is yes. Use a splitter to combine the cable and TV out signal before the diplexer and use a channel that isn't used by the cable company.

#3 would probably need an additional cable unless all of the OTA channel slots were not used by the cable company.

I've done a fair amount of lurking over the years and a bunch of searching recently. Mostly, I just end up more confused.

Here's my setup:

Dish RG6 comes into the basement on one end of the house and runs directly to the Man Cave. Local cable comes into the basement on the other end and splits off to various locations.

I have a single 510 in the basement (Man Cave room) that feeds an SDTV (right next to the receiver) via S-vid and an HDTV on the main level via coax. There is local cable line that feeds into the 510.

There is only one cable (coax) going to the HDTV. This cable from the 510 supplies my D programming and my local cable including several ClearQAM HD channels.

On Friday the tech is coming to upgrade me to a 622 (TurboHD Bronze only). As I don't have super long HDMI or componant cables, I plan on putting the 622 on the upstairs level next to the HDTV. My wife would prefer that I don't run more lines through the floor.

The question:

1. Can I get my local cable and the Dish HD signals to the receiver on one line.

2. If I decide to use the receiver in 2-TV mode can I send the signal back out the same RG6?

3. What happens (cable-wise) when I decide to add an antenna to get OTA HD?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense. I get dizzy everytime I try to piece it together.
One thing that to the best of my knowledge that cannot be doen is inserting a diplexer and then re diplexing that same line. So, if you ar eplanning on running basic cable and sat to your new HD reciver upstairs and then adding an OTA later, you'll have to install a new line form your antenna to the location of the receiver.
I gather you are going to run the backfeed to the man cave. Do you want cable there as well?
BTW if you are planning on asking the install tech to do all of this for you, plan on paying at that time. And uograde does not include rewiring.

One thing that to the best of my knowledge that cannot be doen is inserting a diplexer and then re diplexing that same line. So, if you ar eplanning on running basic cable and sat to your new HD reciver upstairs and then adding an OTA later, you'll have to install a new line form your antenna to the location of the receiver.
I gather you are going to run the backfeed to the man cave. Do you want cable there as well?
BTW if you are planning on asking the install tech to do all of this for you, plan on paying at that time. And uograde does not include rewiring.

I already have a separate cable feed into the man cave, so that isn't an issue. There are a few more OTA channels then ClearQAM, but not many so I can add that antenna later. I don't have a problem running the cables myself (my wife is a little more calm about that this evening). I was just getting confused as to what needed to be done. I'd like to have as much done before the tech gets here so he doesn't feel that he has to do more then a simple upgrade.

I've done all my own work previously. I just want it to be that all the installer needs to do is put up the new dish.

The only thing I won't do is get on the roof. :eek:

Oh, the installing company called yesterday and asked if I had received a receiver from Dish yet (I haven't). My upgrade is this Friday. If I don't get something tomorrow should I call Dish and/or the installer?

Thanks for all the help!

I already have a separate cable feed into the man cave, so that isn't an issue. There are a few more OTA channels then ClearQAM, but not many so I can add that antenna later. I don't have a problem running the cables myself (my wife is a little more calm about that this evening). I was just getting confused as to what needed to be done. I'd like to have as much done before the tech gets here so he doesn't feel that he has to do more then a simple upgrade.

I've done all my own work previously. I just want it to be that all the installer needs to do is put up the new dish.

The only thing I won't do is get on the roof. :eek:

Oh, the installing company called yesterday and asked if I had received a receiver from Dish yet (I haven't). My upgrade is this Friday. If I don't get something tomorrow should I call Dish and/or the installer?

Thanks for all the help!
Ok sounds good
Yes if you have not recived your equipemnt one dayt before the date of the work, by all means call DISH!!. See if you can obtain the phoine number of the install company that is assigned the job. If so, call them and ask them to please bring a receiver with them. If your receiver arrives shipped, no harm done. Have the tech use that one.
The roof. Where is your current dish located on that roof? How is the pitch? Steep?
Can the tech work form the ladder? Or is there a suitable way to get to the dish in a non hazardous manner?
If you believe the tech may need special safety equipment to get to the dish or an extra tall ladder, call DIsh and let them know . They will put the notes on the account so the install company can be prepared. Also, have Dish put the following on the work order: MUST PRECALL CUSTOMER PRIOR TO GOING TO JOB!!!!!

Ok sounds good
Yes if you have not recived your equipemnt one dayt before the date of the work, by all means call DISH!!. See if you can obtain the phoine number of the install company that is assigned the job. If so, call them and ask them to please bring a receiver with them. If your receiver arrives shipped, no harm done. Have the tech use that one.
The roof. Where is your current dish located on that roof? How is the pitch? Steep?
Can the tech work form the ladder? Or is there a suitable way to get to the dish in a non hazardous manner?
If you believe the tech may need special safety equipment to get to the dish or an extra tall ladder, call DIsh and let them know . They will put the notes on the account so the install company can be prepared. Also, have Dish put the following on the work order: MUST PRECALL CUSTOMER PRIOR TO GOING TO JOB!!!!!

One step ahead of ya. I called both companies and the installer is bringing the receiver. The dispatcher had no idea why someone called thinking that Dish was sending it.

The current dish is on a pole in the back yard. I was just saying that I will do just about any diy work around the house unless it involves heights...like the roof. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts