Splitting 5LNB into SWM8 & 6x8

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ProWire

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Tennessee
Ive got a 6 unit apt building i'm wiring up for a single dish. We've got two apts hooked up on DTV already which maxed out the SWM lnb, and we've just sold to a third apt so it's time to expand.

1. Can I split a standard 5LNB with 4 dual power passing HF splitters into two SWM8's (or 1 SWM8 and 1 6x8) without a polarity locker?

2. Each port on the SWM8s will feed 1 apt (4 ports ea). The new tentants will have cable internet. Can I diplex in the cable after the SWM8 or do cable internet and SWM signals conflict? I've never tried it with SWM.

Thanks

Last edited:
1. Can I split a standard 5LNB with 4 dual power passing HF splitters into two SWM8's (or 1 SWM8 and 1 6x8) without a polarity locker?

Yes

2. Each port on the SWM8s will feed 1 apt (4 ports ea). The new tentants will have cable internet. Can I diplex in the cable after the SWM8 or do cable internet and SWM signals conflict? I've never tried it with SWM.

I would repeat the "official" answer of no, that diplexing into SWM lines is not recommended by D*. However, that doesn't mean it's not possible.

How many times can you split the signal without locking/amping it? If all the tenants sign up, I'll need 3 SWM8's total.

I think you can feed more than two, but there is a balance question. The side with 2 SWMs will be half as strong as the side with one. I'm not sure what effect that would have. Somebody check me on that more than 2 SWMs is OK.

I think you can feed more than two, but there is a balance question. The side with 2 SWMs will be half as strong as the side with one. I'm not sure what effect that would have. Somebody check me on that more than 2 SWMs is OK.
I'd use 4 1x3 splitters so that all SWM8s would get the same signal.

im thinking your figuring a possibility of 4 dvrs per apt, totaling 8 channels, per apt, thus your 3 swm8s, if u are trying to have a total of 24 tuners for the 1 dish, what I would try (no idea if this will work, is running the 4 lines of the ka/ku into a 6x16, then run 4 lines from that into 3 swm8s, and cap the other 4 with terminators. I would start there. but again, im not saying it will work, but its the first thing i would try, since dtv is going to tell you you need a mdu install. and remember to put a term cap on every cable outlet that will not have a receiver. and tell your tenants and there children DO NOT TOUCH. lol

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts