Splitting a line, i need the truth

Status
Please reply by conversation.

McVey

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
Allright i have the swm8 setup. In my basement i want to have 2 tvs each with seperate h20 boxes so i can watch 2 different games at one time. I have one home run going down there and there is no way of running another one. I need to split the line to feed the 2nd box. I know in the past this couldnt be done only with cable. Ive been told there is a way to do it with the swm setup I just need the correct splitter and ive also been told there is no way to do it that i have to run another home run. Well please tell me it can be done. Like I said i allready have the swm8 setup.

you can use this to split a line how do i know if I have a swm8 setup.

I have a slimeline 3lnb for 99/101/103--110--119 with a zinwell multiswitch.

will this work with my setup

you just use the one that comes with the SWM8 and thats it

Im confused, Currently I have one line coming from my dish on my roof to my cable box and its split there with the swm 8way splitter feeding all the home runs in my house. I want to split the home run in the basement again so thats why i was saying i would need another power inserter.

Im confused, Currently I have one line coming from my dish on my roof to my cable box and its split there with the swm 8way splitter feeding all the home runs in my house. I want to split the home run in the basement again so thats why i was saying i would need another power inserter.

are you sure you have a swm8 then? because if you did you would have 4 lines off the dish into the swm8 switch and then 1 wire to the swm switch, and you can split off lines anywhere after the initial swm switch.

If you have a swm lnb with one line, where does that run? into the room with the receiver you are talking about or into the basement, you can still split the line in the basement, but the pi may or may not need to be moved, could you explain your setup a little more detailed?

then you don't have a SWM8 you just have SWM you can split one of the lines that feeds two rooms like you explained before with that same splitter (it's rated to pass the frequencies) as long as your entire system does not have more than 8 tuners total (regular box = 1, dvr or any kind = 2) you are fine
a SWM8 as referred to on here is this DIRECTV SWM-8 Single Wire Multi-Switch With Power Supply (8 Channel) (SWM-8) | SWM-8 [DIRECTV] this is used to change a regular Ka/Ku LNB into a SWM setup, requires 4 lines from dish. You probably have this DIRECTV SWS-8 Satellite 8-Way Wide Band (2 -2150 MHz) Splitter (SWS-8) | SWS-8 [DIRECTV] which really all it is, is a 2-2150Mhz rated 8 way cable splitter with two power passing ports

are you sure you have a swm8 then? because if you did you would have 4 lines off the dish into the swm8 switch and then 1 wire to the swm switch, and you can split off lines anywhere after the initial swm switch.

If you have a swm lnb with one line, where does that run? into the room with the receiver you are talking about or into the basement, you can still split the line in the basement, but the pi may or may not need to be moved, could you explain your setup a little more detailed?

Thanks for the help. Ya I have the swm lnb with one line coming off it going to the cable box outside where it then goes to the 8way splitter that feed my home runs. The power inserter is in a upstairs bedroom. Again thanks for the help just kind of a noob to the swm thing. Like I said need to split that line in the basement just trying to figure a way to do it

Thanks for the help. Ya I have the swm lnb with one line coming off it going to the cable box outside where it then goes to the 8way splitter that feed my home runs. The power inserter is in a upstairs bedroom. Again thanks for the help just kind of a noob to the swm thing. Like I said need to split that line in the basement just trying to figure a way to do it

You can split it in the basement just like it was cable TV. The only limitation is you can only have 8 tuners in the whole house, and you do NOT need another power inserter.

You can split it in the basement just like it was cable TV. The only limitation is you can only have 8 tuners in the whole house, and you do NOT need another power inserter.

Great news, what splitter?

Awsome thanks guys i ordered it. So no 2nd power inserter is needed? Cause i see it has the dc pass throughs

it has DC passthrough in cases where you would need a PI, but you only need one PI per system. If you already have one in a different room than the basement, then you don't even have to think about a PI

Hooked it up and it works to perfection. Thanks guys for the help. Not being able to split a satellite line has always been a knock compared to cable but now with swm its not a issue....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)