Splitting Antenna signals

squirrelguy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
Ok. Here's A question thats probably been asked a million times, but here goes. Currently have winegaurd roof-top antenna with motorola pre-amp on pole, and 100 foot run to T.V. Everything is great with this set up. Would like to run about a 25 foot run of cable from antenna to another room and was wondering first of all, exactly what type of slitter would I need, Should it be placed indoors, and will I need to boost the signal for the total footage of the 2 cable runs? This should be the extent of any splitting that I will ever do with this antenna.

A 1:2 split cuts signal strength in half (3dB). If your incoming signal is strong enough off the motorola pre-amp you'll be OK. Most good pre-amps give you a signal boost in the 20dB's. You'll loose about 3dB in the 100' cable and 3dB in the splitter.

Gottcha,............. Follow up question. Does the the loss of signal strength occur simply because of adding the splitter and additional cable run, or does it only come into play (signal loss) if both televisions are accually on and being used at the same time. Hope I put that so it makes sence. If it pulls down signal strenth regardless, then would an A.B. switch close to the splitter help cut down on the loss, since you would only be sending the signal down ONE length of cable at a time? I know that sounds like a pain in the but way of doing it, but the second T.V. is in a bed room, and simply would not be used at same time as living room T.V.

There are also losses and reflections associated with an A/B switch - I'd avoid it and just use the passive splitter. If you're splitting to multiple locations and the signal degradation seems excessive, you could replace the passive splitter(s) with a distribution amp which is designed only to overcome the splitting losses and add a bit more for the cable loss (2-3 dB per tap) and not really to amplify the incomng signal. That should avoid any possible overload like arxaw mentioned. I have a mast-mounted pre-amp installed with my OTA antenna, then the output from that amp feeds the input of a 4-way distribution amp. Works OK for me, YMMV...

Last edited:
I have picked up a distribution amp for this exact purppose.

I've got my OTA antenna coming in, which is diplexed into (and then back out of)the satellite signal to each of my two 622's. Each 622 has a dedicated cable running between one and two modulated channels back down to my cable distribution area where they are combined back into the household antenna system for viewing on any television (6-7 in all counting TV tuner cards in two PCs) not directly connected to a satellite receiver.

I have found this:
http://www.channelplus.com/product_detail.php?productId=60

The Channel Plus product has two inputs for "modulated" signals (from each of the two 622's) and a single input for the OTA feed. It combines these three signals and distributes them (with +3db amplification) to eight outputs.

Channel Plus also manufactures other models with bi-directional throughput for those with broadband internet connection feeds running on their household cable system.

Has anyone had any experience with the product? If not, my new distribution amplifier should be on my porch when I get home this evening and I'll let you know how it works.

Regards,
Spence

Last edited:
IF you are passing voltage from a power inserter to a preamp on the antenna, you need to either have the splitter before the power suppy (tv side) or use a spliter, as specified, with DC Pass built into one port. There is usually a line with the words "DC Pass" on the splitter that runs from the input to one of the outputs. This allows the splitter to be anywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts