Splitting Cable Internet

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I definitely need an amplifier in the attic. However there is no noticeable difference whether I use the in in post 16 or the one i mentioned using earlier as long as the correct port is used for output to the room involved.

I did experiment with another amplifier in the room but it had no positive effect. Interestingly the issue with splitting the cable modem in the room was "solved" for now by using an ancient 3 way splitter I had. It has no makings indicating that it is two way etc but it is working for now and has been for about the last 18 hours. this surprises me because a DCC from Crutchfield led to occasional problems as did every other splitter I used in the room regardless of how they were rated..

Obviously I will continue to monitor this. I really am surprised that this splitter is working so i expect some incredulity from this crowd.

Ironically this may be less important than I thought. I am a satellite sub and was frustrated with OTA reception of one channel that has improved dramatically. That coupled with the fact that Cox has moved several local channels means I may be using OTA as my backup for the TV---although it is nice to have cable on the DVD recorder for the few channels that Cox allows me that satellite does not.

to those who want me to arrange for a service call, As I have explained I have been on the phone with Cox several times. It has been a comedy of errors as have most service experience with them over the years. The customer service there is the main reason i switched to satellite for TV years ago. If it fails completely obviously I will call them (or Verizon for DSL or FIOS) but I really don't se the point in dealing with them any further than i already have.

i know people have better things to worry about than this but i will report back if anything changes and i appreciate the advice.

What makes you think you need the amplifier in the attic? Is there something other then cable tv on those lines?

the thing that makes me thinlk I need it is the lower PQ I get without it. I also can't do the 3 way spit downstream without it. at this point though I have good recepton everywhere and solid broadband in the room where the splitting is occuring. I am not sure what I would gain by removing the amp and in all my tests I lose the ability to split the signal in that room.

Last edited:
Yes but the amplifier seems to be acting like a bandaid to the real problem. Perhaps a bad drop? or connectors or even a problem at the tap it self.

An amplifier while increased the Signal to noise (getting rid of the grainy picture) adds to the distortions, thus making digital signals worse (IE: internet or digital tv). An amplifier in the home is a very rare thing to be needed. Unless you have a very large home with long runs then its really just taking up space and adding distortions that are not needed. It is also hiding a real problem in with the cable wiring.

Something I have not seen mentioned in this thread is cable type. If it has been working "for years" there is at least a chance that RG59 is being used in the house. That, combined with fluctuations in power or changes in frequencies by the cable company could explain a lot of the issues and likely won't be fixed by different amplifiers.

I also agree with the others that higher frequency splitters are mandatory for a reliable digital signal. Cable companies play with frequencies all the time so what works today may not work tomorrow or vice versa. Personally I don't have anything higher than 2.4ghz splitters but there is nothing wrong with using higher frequency splitters or amps. I can guarantee from personal experience that you need higher than 900mhz splitters on digital Comcast (at least around here).

Something I have not seen mentioned in this thread is cable type. If it has been working "for years" there is at least a chance that RG59 is being used in the house. That, combined with fluctuations in power or changes in frequencies by the cable company could explain a lot of the issues and likely won't be fixed by different amplifiers.

I also agree with the others that higher frequency splitters are mandatory for a reliable digital signal. Cable companies play with frequencies all the time so what works today may not work tomorrow or vice versa. Personally I don't have anything higher than 2.4ghz splitters but there is nothing wrong with using higher frequency splitters or amps. I can guarantee from personal experience that you need higher than 900mhz splitters on digital Comcast (at least around here).

The problem is solved. No RG 59 was involved at any time. I realize that some of you don't like that but well it is solved and given the poor customer service I got from my cable company I just want to enjoy my internet and TV.

Hey chief, long time no talk. Sounds like you're all set and I'm a firm believer if you're satisfied - leave well enough alone but if it does act up again you might want to consider a new line (Cat6 if cost is no object but 5E is probably fine) directly from the outside cable box to your modem. No amp, no splits. Use the original coax for everything else. I'm no guru by any means but that worked for me and even though I pay for 18meg bandwidth, I usually test well into the 20s. We stream HD from multiple sources and on any given day our house might have a Roku, a couple PS3s, a TiVo, a Wii, my office computer on ethernet Gigibit, 4 desktops & a laptop on WiFi, as well as smartphones and I-touches - all running fine........as long as Charter's feed is working, which can be real "iffy" up here in rural Vt. ;-)

Thanks for the avie walt. good to hear from you. I was not too far from your neck of the woods just this past week.

MY problem has been solved for some time but I want to report that another Cox subscriber told me that he had used of all things a Radio Shack product that helped him considerably. this is the product.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=28451556

He reports somewhat better anlog reception, a boost in digital TV signal strength and improved readings from his modem. It has beena long time since I heard of anyone pleased by an RS product so I thought I would share the report.

Interesting device, but was this Cox subscriber splitting the TV signal or the Internet signal. I don't see any indication that the RS device does anything but pass on the composite signal. That's ok if his TVs filter out the Internet frequency, or the Internet modem filters out the TV frequency, but I see a potential for self-induced interference with that device.

//greg//

They are splitting the cable which contains both signals and using it to feed the modem and the TV.

Why would this be any different than taking the input cable and plugging it into either the TV or modem?

If what he is telling me is true it improved TV reception and gave him somewhat better readings on the modem than he would have seen from a simple splitter.

Why would this be any different than taking the input cable and plugging it into either the TV or modem?
No reason to doubt the man, if that's what's actually happening. This cable service you're describing carries a minimum of three signals; TV video, TV audio, modem. In many cases the cable company provides the filter box to split the signals for routing to the appropriate device; Cable in/TV out/Modem out. Some TVs and modems themselves have the appropriate rejection filters at the front end. The TV will reject the modem signal and only allow the audio and video to pass. The modem will reject the TV signals. But one cannot count on all TVs and all modems to be cable of this rejection process. In those cases, the TV signals may interfere with the modem process, and/or the modem signal may interfere with TV video and/or audio.

//greg//

There is no such beastie as "TV audio".

A DOCSIS 3.0 modem can be slotted anywhere in the TV channel frequencies so it is pretty much impossible to filter it out.

The concern with cable is making sure that MoCA networking doesn't reach the TVs and modem.

I suspect that you're probably thinking of fiber where the incoming line is split to telephone, TV and Internet.

it is digital i did not think this thread would wind up with this level ofdetail. i really just wanted to point out a possible solution to others in the same situation.

Well my solution has worked for four years plus but now COX is going all digital and requiring a rented box (or cable card etc.) I will likely switch over to a single drop to the modem at that time. If nothing else I will save a small amount on electricity.

Well my solution has worked for four years plus but now COX is going all digital and requiring a rented box (or cable card etc.).
All good things must come to an end.

The key is to read and comprehend the writing on the wall and strive not to be bitter about it.

Heck I am still bitter about Media general Cable. Maybe I will work my way up to bitterness over Cox but right now I do not care much.

Reactions: TheKrell
I didn't read the entire thread, but what worked for me was splitting the drop. One cable went directly to the modem. The other cable was split 15 ways from sunday for all the other TVs and devices in the house.

I appreciate the advice Tony. In this case though that was not adequate. In any event the situation has changed and there is no longer a need to split the drop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts