Splitting DirecTV signal?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JUCJ85

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
NY
Hi, Im new here and just wanted to say this is a great place, been viewing and decided to sign up a few days ago.

Anyway, I posted on HighDefForum.com about this, but am confused.

I wanna take the coaxial cable coming in from the dish and split it to two different receivers, 1 HD and 1 SD for football season.

I bought an extra SD Receiver off ebay, that was owned, still waiting on it getting here, (If I bought it owned, do i pay a leased receiver fee?)

Anyway, I have a Slimline Dish, with what looks like 5 lnb, i think, since theres is 2 normal and a 3 way one.

Im just totally confused, and before I go ahead and try anything I thought i would ask here, and also is it against DTV rules to split a signal.

Anyway, Thanks for any answers, i appreciate it.

Oh, I have 4 rooms hooked up if that matters.

I'm sure someone can answer the splitting questions better than me but I can clear a couple of things off the list for you. It's not against the rules to split lines but D* won't troubleshoot split lines generally. As for the SD receiver, if it TRULY is owned then you won't see the lease fee on your statement but you will see an additional receiver fee. Same cost just different line items ($5).

You can't just split a slimline signal, won't work.

The question is do you have a multiswitch setup or a SWM setup?
To answer this - do you have a black box (about 3"x1") connected to the satellite input on the back of your receiver? This is called a BBC.

If you have one or two of those on your HD receiver, you will need to run a new line from the LNB (end of the satellite dish where the eyes are).

If not you have a SWM setup and then you CAN use a splitter, provided it is rated up to 2300mhz or so (not a 900mhz cheap cable splitter).

Odds are with one receiver the installed the first setup I described meaning you need to run a wire.

We need to know what you have in your system. If you have a SWM system it is possible to "SPLIT" with the right SWM splitter. What you have to know is that the receiver you got is SWM compatible.

If you don't have a SWM system then you will have to run cables from the dish or the switch depending on what you have now.

We need more info on what you have.

That dish can support up to 4 tuners without the need for any multiswitch. You need to run four lines from the dish and use them as needed.

sorry guys, just noticed there were responses.

I really have no clue if its is SWM, I dont know what to look for.

All I know it is a SLIMLINE, with 5 LNB.

Not sure what blackbox would look like.

Thanks for any answers. And sorry for the delay.

sorry guys, just noticed there were responses.

I really have no clue if its is SWM, I dont know what to look for.

All I know it is a SLIMLINE, with 5 LNB.

Not sure what blackbox would look like.

Thanks for any answers. And sorry for the delay.

How many cables come from the dish into your house? If there is one, you have a Slimline SWM, but if there are more, you have the standard Slimline.

How many cables come from the dish into your house? If there is one, you have a Slimline SWM, but if there are more, you have the standard Slimline.

Ok, I think i get it, I have 4 lines coming in, they were all hooked up before when I had Directv installed the 1st time, had them come out in 2006, had it from 06 of august to 09 of Dec. And then installed back in Feb/Mar of this year.

Is there anything else I could do, or am im SOL?

Ok, I think i get it, I have 4 lines coming in, they were all hooked up before when I had Directv installed the 1st time, had them come out in 2006, had it from 06 of august to 09 of Dec. And then installed back in Feb/Mar of this year.

Is there anything else I could do, or am im SOL?

I was in the same situation as you. I needed to 2 tvs hooked up with seperate receivers for sunday ticket in my basement but had 2 split the line cause there was no way of running another one. Bought a swm lnb a couple swm splitters a power inserter and boom you cant split lines just like cable tv. Very easy to do. Or you could needle Directv to do it for free. Just talk to the retentions department

I was in the same situation as you. I needed to 2 tvs hooked up with seperate receivers for sunday ticket in my basement but had 2 split the line cause there was no way of running another one. Bought a swm lnb a couple swm splitters a power inserter and boom you cant split lines just like cable tv. Very easy to do. Or you could needle Directv to do it for free. Just talk to the retentions department

cool, ill give retentions dept a shot later this week.

You have to have SWM compatible equipment. If you have anything older than a D-12 for std's, older than 6-16 & R-22 for DVR's, older than H-21 for HD and older than HR21 for HDDVR's, SWM will not work.

If you have two H23 and one D12, you are only using 3 of the 4 lines coming into your home from the dish.

You can use the fourth wire for the SD receiver you want to add.

If you want to go past 4 (or switch any to DVR), you would need to add a multiswitch or get a SWM upgrade.

If you have two H23 and one D12, you are only using 3 of the 4 lines coming into your home from the dish.

You can use the fourth wire for the SD receiver you want to add.

If you want to go past 4 (or switch any to DVR), you would need to add a multiswitch or get a SWM upgrade.

how would a multiswitch work, i feel clueless, lol.

What are steps or order needed to do this, Im somewhat tech savy, not great but decent.

Ive worked with computers in college, and have attended ITT Tech, so i dont think it would be that hard but could be wrong.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)