Splitting Signal to separate receivers-Genie System

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mrd208

Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Columbus, OH
My apologies if this has been addressed previously, but I did some searching and didn't come across it.

In the past, I've been able to split a cable to run a 2nd (or sometimes 3rd) TV/receiver during football season. When I've had DirecTV in the past, I was able to split the signal with an SWM splitter, but was not sure if that's still possible with the Genie system.

The main cable from the dish gets split outside, and then there are cables running into the house.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Well, it depends. How many receivers do you have now and what kind?
You probably have a SWM 8, which has 8 channels available. Every tuner on a receiver takes one channel.
The Genie has 5 tuners, so its using 5 channels.
A DVR takes 2 channels and a regular receiver takes 1.
So, yeah, you can still run a SWM Splitter.. the question is how many channels do you have available.

Well, it depends. How many receivers do you have now and what kind?
You probably have a SWM 8, which has 8 channels available. Every tuner on a receiver takes one channel.
The Genie has 5 tuners, so its using 5 channels.
A DVR takes 2 channels and a regular receiver takes 1.
So, yeah, you can still run a SWM Splitter.. the question is how many channels do you have available.

I have the 4 total receivers. 1 is the HR44-700 and the other 3 are the C41-700. So, by my count, I have 3 channels available, if it's an SWM8, right?

Actually the C41 do NOT count to the total number of channels used, as they themselves do not have any satellite tuners in them. The C31 and C41 boxes are client boxes, and NOT actual receivers that connect to the HR44 and use it as a server, they take command of one tuner each in the HR44. So if in fact you do have a HR44 with the C41 clients and have a SWM8 LNBF then you can add one two tuner DVR as well as a single tuner Non DVR Receiver.

John

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)