Sports Conspiracy Theories You Believed In

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
As sport fans, I am sure we have all believed in conspiracy theories at one point or another.

There was a lot of talk about an NBA conspiracy theory about the NBA Finals (The controversial ending of that Lakers/Spurs game).

Can you recall ever believing in any possible sports-related conspiracy theories?

Here's mine:

During the 2006 Stanley Cup Playoffs, there was a string of ticky-tacky goal calls involving the Edmonton Oilers that I thought could have (and should have) gone the other way.

The Oilers somehow made it to the Stanley Cup Finals as an eighth seed, became the most overhyped and ridiculously overpraised Cinderella I can recall in sports history.

I thought the NHL was conspiring to:

A. Get the Cup back to Canada

B. Give the NHL their version of the 1969 Mets (an all-time miracle team)

The best one ever was how the NBA constantly fixes the NBA draft lottery to give teams they want to succeed to get the top pick. 1985 draft lottery is a good case in point!

I tend to believe that Michael Jordan's first retirement was reallya susension for his association with gamblers. I have no evidence to support thsi BTW I just think it is true.

I thought that with the Love fest the NHL has with Crosby that they were doing thier best to help the Pens against the Wings, what they had like 4-5 Goalie obstructions/ goals disallowed due to a skate/stick/ butt in the paint.
NHL really needs to address this in the off season.
If they call it for one team, they need to call it for the other team as well.

Fortunatly the better team prevailed.

Jimbo

Ryan Smyth's winning goal in Game 3 of the 2006 Cup Finals.

That should NOT have counted- the NHL gave Edmonton a tainted win.

Really, that is one of your basis for consiacy theory, a goal that neither CBC or NBC announce crews strongly spoke out againt as being no goal. I mean we aren't talking Dallas Stars, Brett Hull foot in the crease here.

You realize that Mick "McGoo" waived off an Oilers goal in that series saying that Cam Ward had it between his pads, when all replays show that he didn't.

Conspiracy theory? Oilers get called for a penalty in OT in a must win Game 5 in Carolina? Fortunately they scored a shortie to win it.

Heading into the Cup finals Oilers had 12 wins, their opponents had 5 wins. 12-5 and you say conspiracy theory to get them there?

Oilers get called for a penalty in OT in a must win Game 5 in Carolina? Fortunately they scored a shortie to win it.

Don't remind me of Fernando Bleeping Pisani.

My second-worst sports-related moment of all-time.

(As for #1- I'll give you a hint- it was a baseball moment)

BTW, are you from Edmonton, or Canada?

Steve Javie hates the Lakers. Calls against them have happened for 20 years. David Stern should really look into this matter.

I agree on Jordan. I think it was a "keep quiet" suspension for gambling.

The entire NBA is suspect. Smoke and mirrors.

I tend to believe that Michael Jordan's first retirement was reallya susension for his association with gamblers. I have no evidence to support thsi BTW I just think it is true.

That one clicks with me also. The NBA had too much to lose if Jordan was exposed. Some creative thinking done there by the NBA.

I think the NHL in '93 didn't want a Toronto/Montreal final. I think the officials may have helped the Kings get there so that a U.S. big market team would be there. I don't have any proof, but it wouldn't surprise me.

How about Super Bowl XL? What a joke! I knew by the middle of the first quarter that the game was fixed. Seattle won that game!

The only conspiracy theory I thought could possibly be true was when the Knicks were able to draft Patrick Ewing...because my dad said so. I was way too young to notice at the time.

The Jordan thing is interesting and I suppose possible, but to me that falls in a different category.

The rest of them are too easy. Anyone anywhere can see a questionable call and decide league X wanted team Y to win because of theory Z. The truth is, there are simply a lot of questionable calls.

Where is the conspiracty theory to get the Cubs into the World Series? This could be the year (AGAIN!), but this would be a theory the league is unable to capitalize on.

How about the Yankees/Indians? Where was the conspiracy to get the bugs off of Joba? You know the league and the networks would have loved another Yankee/Red Sox playoff series. If bugs would have attacked CC Sabathia instead, people would have blamed Bud Selig.

What happened to the conspiracy theory to get Brett Favre to perhaps his last Super Bowl?

To get a Manning/Manning Super Bowl matchup?

To get the Spurs, an NBA ratings-killer, out of the finals all these years?

To get the Rangers into the playoffs in the seven straight years they didn't make it?

To get a national championship game that doesn't involve Ohio State embarassing itself on National TV? This year they go for the hat trick.

To get Duke back to the final four?

The leagues are missing out on some juicy conspiracies here...

Sandra

Yes I believe in Sport's Conspiracies. You should look no further than Cleveland Sports as evidence. ;) Clearly the sports God's don't want us to experience glory ever again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts