Sports Programming Blackout Question?

attygrober

Original poster
Nov 28, 2004
Oklahoma
I subscribe to the FOX Sports Package and the ESPN Full Court Package. I live in Oklahoma so FOX Sports Southwest is my "home" fox network. Why would the Texas - Baylor basketball game be blacked out in my area??? 300 miles from the site of the event and when the event is not being shown on any Tulsa Oklahoma stations?? The game is not on the ESPN package either. FOX never responds to emails.....can you tell me why the game is blacked out?

Some college leagues are only allowed to be aired in certain states, that's most likely it...

The Big-12 will be able to tell you, but usually the closer you are the more chance of a full blackout to force ticket sales. If a game sell X% of tickets by a time limit then the blackout might be lifted. There is also a good chance the game was not carried. Look at the TV schedule for the home team for those details.

This info is on the Kansas State sports website:

Due to Big 12 Conference restrictions, third tier men's basketball telecasts are restricted to the home states of the competing teams as well as border cities.
I expect that Texas is living under the same rules ... so unless you live in Texas or a "border city", you are blacked out of Longhorn games on FSSW. This is a new set of blackouts this year, thanks to the Big XII / ESPN / FSN. :(

Note: the only sport that gets blacked out (now) becuase of ticket sales are the NFL. College blackouts result from agreement between the teams/conferences and broadcasters such as ABC, CBS, ESPN, and FSN. [speculation ON] I could guess that ESPN was pissed that they couldn't get these games for FullCourt (because FSN wouldn't let them have them) and then insisted that the Big XII black the games out. Or perhaps ESPN insisted on blackouts to reduce the number of games available to DBS subs and the new Fox College Sports channels and get more people to buy FullCourt. But we'll never really know for sure. [speculation OFF]

Dish Network's db of regional zips for sports blackouts is not accurate. For example, I live in ZIP 18643; for NBA, my home teams are 76ers and Knicks. Which means that they should be blacked out on NBA League Pass and NBA-TV. However, I get 76ers in the clear, which is fine, because I'm a Sixers fan. But the Nets are not considered to be my home team according to several internet db's including Fox and DirecTV, but yet they are blacked out on Dish Network. Dish Network does not agree with me, but don't explain why.

sports blackout cont'd

well all i can say is this pretty much sucks. ESPN Full Court isn't half as good as it was last year and with all of the blackouts they sure didn't lower the price. I have written emails to the Big 12, ESPN and FOX and no replies. Screw the consumer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)