Sports Territory Map

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FavreJL04

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
Does anybody know if there is a website that shows maps of team terrirtories? For example, say I want to see which areas are not blacked out for the Red Wings, or which markets are primary and secondary for the Packers. I know there are sites where you put in your zip and teams are returned which are in the clear for that zip. I am looking for the opposite where you select a team or league and a map is returned with territories for that team or teams.

I had tried to get similar info from ESPN and MLB earlier this year due to an issue with blackouts. Much of this info has become "propietary" and is not available to the public anymore. The above post is a nice "guide" but there have been many changes in the past few years.

I do like the layout of that guide. It would be nice if there was a corresponding map to go with. I guess if it's not really public knowledge that is why there doesn't seem to be one. Thanks stone for digging that up.

or which markets are primary and secondary for the Packers.

The rule with secondary markets of a team simple

These are the markets that:
a) come within 75 miles of the stadium and thus would be blacked out if the game doesn't sell out
b) must air ALL road games of the teams

So the only secondary markets of GB would be Milwaukee and maybe Wausau.

In MN the only secondary market is Rochester, MN. Mankato is too but they only have a CBS in the market so if the Vikes played an AFC team at home and didnt sell out, KEYC in Mankato would have to black it out. They can't show any Vikes road games since Fox has those games :)

I wish they would accomadate the info on this map.
IF so, according to this, the Detroit market is also my Toledo market, but not so according to D*, I have to pay extra for the Detroit programming and STILL cannot get the HD feed, SD feed is fine.

434-436 Pistons Red Wings Reds Indians Tigers

According to this, I should be able to receive all of these where I live.

FSN Detroit is looking into this as I type, just waiting to hear back from them. It's the HD issue for me.

Jimbo

note it was listed as somewhat out of date and subject to changes and/or errors; not that it is for sure, just be prepared.

i know when i moved to nowhereville iowa i was able to get all midwest sports teams, this was like 8-10 months ago but i since moved back to my market

Here in central CT we have the most number of teams, along with Las Vegas and Hawaii. It's the only thing we have in common with those places!

The rule with secondary markets of a team simple

These are the markets that:
a) come within 75 miles of the stadium and thus would be blacked out if the game doesn't sell out
b) must air ALL road games of the teams

So the only secondary markets of GB would be Milwaukee and maybe Wausau.

In MN the only secondary market is Rochester, MN. Mankato is too but they only have a CBS in the market so if the Vikes played an AFC team at home and didnt sell out, KEYC in Mankato would have to black it out. They can't show any Vikes road games since Fox has those games :)
Are you refering only to NFL market rules?...
MLB s a totally diffdernt animal .....Here's why..In my area we have four, count 'em FOUR MLB teams that claim this area as part of their respective markets....Atlanta, Cincy, Baltimore and DC......The MLB EI blacks aout all games inwhich those teams play....
The rules are idiotic....Atlanta is the closest team to this locale..4 hrs away....the others are 7 or 8 hrs drive...Like I am going to go to DC just because the game is blacked out...Who are the folks at MLB kidding....

Are you refering only to NFL market rules?...
yes
MLB s a totally diffdernt animal .....Here's why..In my area we have four, count 'em FOUR MLB teams that claim this area as part of their respective markets....Atlanta, Cincy, Baltimore and DC......The MLB EI blacks aout all games inwhich those teams play....
The rules are idiotic....Atlanta is the closest team to this locale..4 hrs away....the others are 7 or 8 hrs drive...Like I am going to go to DC just because the game is blacked out...Who are the folks at MLB kidding....

MLB rules are screwed up. They claim every inch of the US. Some markets have one team, some have 6

YES, ALL the sports have screwed up regulations.

I wish to pass a Man Law,

IF you PAY EXTRA for the sport, ALL games should be available :eureka

Man Law :up

Jimbo

And those NLF maps posted above will change week to week and every season, so they are not (re)usable; its not like anyone will/can move every week to change areas based on the maps as they are released.

yes

MLB rules are screwed up. They claim every inch of the US. Some markets have one team, some have 6
it sure is a mess.....I wrote the MLB offices on several occasions in the hope of getting some type of explanation on how the territoires are set..Not a peep from them..
My final shot at therm was to explainng to them how MLB is losing revenue because I am not buying the EI package when half the games I want to see will be blacked out....
The way I see it, if the games are blacked out on the EI package then the games shouyd be available locally....But MLB wants it both ways..And because of MLB's anti trust exemption, thye can do whatever they wish with impunity

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts