Sportscaster Gib Shanley dies at 76

MacDawg

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
R.I.P. Gib!
Sportscaster Gib Shanley dies at 76 - Cleveland Sports News – The Latest Breaking News, Game Recaps and Scores from The Plain Dealer

gib-shanley-duane-kuiper.jpg

Shanley was a great sportscaster and all around personality to this great city of Cleveland for many years. RIP Shanley!

Unfortunately, many will remember Shanley not by his profession, but instead for a stunt he pulled while a Sports Anchor at Channel 5 News....

Shanley was merely a successful Cleveland sportscaster until Nov. 8, 1979. That night be burned a flag of Iran on television and became a folk hero.

The incident took place while Iran was holding a group of Americans hostage in Tehran.

Near the end of his broadcast on WEWS Channel 5, Shanley said, "I know this isn't sports, but I'm going to do it anyway."

He held out a 10-by-20-inch flag of Iran and set it on fire, then threw it on the floor. He said that if his gesture offended any watching Iranians, they should leave the country.

The next day the Cleveland Press reported that the TV station received 500 phone calls, almost all of them supporting Shanley's action.

In a front page story, Shanley said, "It was a spur of the moment thing, but I'd do it again. Somebody has to protest what's happening."

Two hundred people marched through Public Square that day, protesting Iranian policies. One person held up a sign, "GIB'S GOT GUTS."

He will be missed by the fans of Cleveland for sure. I personally have never heard of him, but it's tough to lose a broadcaster of your favorite team. Joe Nuxhall passed recently too and he is the announcer I grew up listening to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)