SportsNet New York, Now Available!

dishcomm said:
It sez you live on OR....Just get the MLB pack....That's what I will do...The absence of SNY will not affect the MLB Package..Since you are outside the NY market the games will be available on MLB Extra Innings..
No thats not correct!! E* has to carry the rsn in order to show the games on MLB extra Innings. E* does not carry the RSN in those markets

Thats just a list of all the television providers in the SNY terrority (see map on the page). They are telling you to call to find out if your carrier is carrying SNY.

Come on, Dish even though I think SNY is probably charging too much, I'll be forced to go elsewhere if you don't carry them by Opening day

JerseyGuy said:
map_affiliates.gif

This is the area that SNY would be blacked out for MLB EI
That's just mind boggling..I emailed the MLB offices to get an answer as to how they determine which areas are in which teams markets..

I live near Charlotte, NC and I am in the the markets of ATL,CIN, BAL and DC.....None of these teams is located within a reasonable driving distance....ATL is closest about 3.5 hrs away...
I guess the temas think if I can't see it on tv I will just jump in the car and drive 7 hrs to DC to catch a night gaem and be back the same day..they have rocks in their heads..Which begs the question, what are the teams and the MLB protecting?....
Of course I got silence as reply form MLB.....Pricks....I love the game of baseball..Hell I 'll go to a nearbly high schooll just to catch a few innings..But this situation just blows....Basically when the Mets play the Nats the games are blacked out here on the EI..All Brvaes games are available here. So that's not an issue..
Here's my take on this..If a team claims my area as parrt of it's territory then there should be a local OTA ,Sat or cable outlet..If that is not the case then that team shoud not be able to claim that territiory.....Of course that is logic..And in the tv business logic has never applied......
I figure it this way. If I am willing to pay for it, I should be able to get it....Tv operates with a 1950's mentality...I look forward to the day when all this terriotoriall restriction and blackout sh*t is done for....
Look guys, I don't want a pound of flesh. I just want to crack open a cold beer and watch the friggin game..

SNT said:
What about out of the NY market?

-SNT
Outside the NY Mets territory, you should be able to get Mets games on the EI.......Except when they play any other team that claims your area as part of it's territory

I just got an email from Mets.com

Watch the Mets tonight on SportsNet New York

SportsNet New York, the home of the Mets, kicks off its New York sports coverage today at 5 p.m. ET. Tune in for their first Mets broadcast at 7:10 p.m. as the Mets take on the Braves in Port St. Lucie, Florida.

I so wanted to hit reply (but it was a don't reply email address), and write "I'd love to but you guys HAD to form your own SportsNetwork so you could make $$$"

It's kind of sad that Dish probably won't carry this channel, leaving NY baseball enthusiasts out in the dust. I see them potentially losing a lot of business from current subscribers as well as potential ones. It's really the only reason why I'm not with them. Its either both YES and SNY or no business from me, simple as that.

Local Comcast is carrying it on ch.77 and I heard that Directv will more than likely have a deal by Opening Day April 3, so once again Dish is screwing themselves and any customers they might have in the NY DMA.

I think Dish gets a lot more money from the international subscribers rather than the sports subscribers. In my community, we have a lot of Asian residents who subscribe to Dish, just for the international programming. None of them care about YES and SNY.
I think the only way that you will see SNY on Dish network is a la carte, unless they get a very good deal.

Here's a response to my email to ceo@echostar.com....

Mr. Murdoch,
Thank you for your email. We are negotiating with SportNet New York and hope that a mutually beneficial arrangement can be achieved that delivers the Mets games at a fair price to all DISH Network subscribers in the territory. We are also working on MASN for the Nationals and SportTime Ohio for the Indians.

Sincerely,
David Laslo
Executive Office of DISH Network
CEO Escalations

-----Original Message-----
Sent:
Thursday, March 16, 2006 12:58 PM
To: CEO
Subject: SportsNet NY-david

I’m a Mets fan living in Central NJ who subscribes to the Extra Innings package. Although we are supposed to get every out of market baseball game, plus our home team games, we are currently blacked out from all Yankee and Met games as you don’t carry YES or SportsNet New York (SNY). Also, all Phillies, Nationals. Indians, and Padres games will not have their home feeds available as I’m told that you don’t carry their networks as well.

Unfortunately, I just extended my commitment when I upgraded to a 622, so my options are limited, but I HIGHLY suggest and formally request that you add at least SportsNet NY. FoxSports NY and MSG are now useless to me as I could care less about Hockey or Basketball.

PLEASE don’t cede any more New York/New Jersey/Connecticut area baseball fans to cable or DirecTV. As I currently pay about $200 a month in programming fees, I don’t care about an extra $1.60 a month if you have to raise our rates. Please find a way to get this deal done as soon as possible, but definitely by opening day.

Robert Murdoch,

note: I deleted phone numbers and email addresses.....

It just dawned on me, most likely Dish wont reach an agreement with SNY (unless its a great price) until DirecTV or Cablevision do. WHY? Because with the exception of people in Time Warner and Comcast areas (Cablevision is the #1 cable company in the region), Where are you going to go? DirecTV, nope they don't have it. Cablevision, nope they don't have it either.

So until Cablevision or DirecTV start reach an agreement with SNY. Forget about Dish.

Also, E*'s MO tends to be that they wait until AFTER launch to raise pressure on the providers (witness what they did to Lifetime). They didn't get the NFL channel until after the preseason and a few games were already in the can.

I'm getting nervous. If they don't have a deal in place yet, then it may be months or years until they do get one.

juan said:
Me thinks OLN (comcrap) may be the sticking point..Comcrap owns part of sny

If that is the case (and we will never know), I would be FURIOUS at Dish Network. OLN has NOTHING to do with SNY. I wouldn't care if Comcast owns 100% of both of them.

juan said:
No thats not correct!! E* has to carry the rsn in order to show the games on MLB extra Innings. E* does not carry the RSN in those markets
Sorry..Check your info.....The various sports packs are not run by the satellite/cable providers.....They are run by the leagues themselves..
I explained how this works in a previous post..
Again, this only applies to out of market broadcasts....
I'll cvlue you in....again..Let's say for instance the mets are playing the Nats...If the Nats aren't televising that game and the Mets are, the MLB EI would pick up the feed from SNY......All subs who have the EI pack would get the game provided they reside OUTSIDE the Territory of the Mets market
Do not get the two issues confused..The fact that Dish is not carrying SNY to their NY market customers has nothing to do with the EI package...
Only Mets territory subs would be effected...

I wish you were correct. I am a Yankee fan living in Boston now, and a Dish Network subscriber. I have had MLB EI for the last two seasons and I can tell you that Dish NEVER carries a YES broadcast -- every Yankee game they provide on MLB EI is the opponents feed, and if the opponents are not televising, then we're out of luck, they do not include that game.
I have complained to Dish and the MLB commissioners office about this, because I have to pay the same price for MLB EI as a DirecTV subscriber, but I get fewer games. Dish should either be forced to offer MLB EI at a discount for the missing games or be required to sign agreements with all RSNs.

dishcomm said:
Sorry..Check your info.....The various sports packs are not run by the satellite/cable providers.....They are run by the leagues themselves..
I'll cvlue you in....again..Let's say for instance the mets are playing the Nats...If the Nats aren't televising that game and the Mets are, the MLB EI would pick up the feed from SNY......All subs who have the EI pack would get the game provided they reside OUTSIDE the Territory of the Mets market
Do not get the two issues confused..The fact that Dish is not carrying SNY to their NY market customers has nothing to do with the EI package...

dishcomm said:

You're missing an important point, ... Yankee games will be carried, but ONLY if they have an agreement with the RSN supplying the other team's feed. So, unless a deal is made, you will not see a Yankees-Indians game this year. Ditto, for Mets/Padres, Mets/Nationals, etc....... If they carry one of the feeds you can get it (provided you aren't blacked out in the home market), but if they don't, you won't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)