SportsNet New York, Now Available!

Anthony2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Play ball for the Mets on SNY, the Yankees on YES.

Could Dish subscribers in the New York area be in a situation where they get no local coverage of their beloved MLB teams :eek:

Are there alternatives to Dish :rolleyes:

Never mind :)

Last edited:
Looks like Dish customers are out of luck on SNY. From today's NY Post :

SNY STEPS UP TO PLATE
By PHIL MUSHNICK

SPORTSNET New York, the new Mets network, will debut Thursday with a spring training game and a fabulous opportunity.

Among the three local sports networks that are at least partially owned by the owners of the teams they televise, SNY could establish itself as the go-to channel, the one New York fans rely upon because they know they won't be treated like dopes.

After all, the two pre-existing proprietary channels, MSG and YES, exist primarily to serve both the wallets and sensitivities of their owners.

MSG Network, under the likes of Bob Gutkowski and Mike McCarthy, once was the envy of every regional sports network. Paradise lost. Under the Dolan/Cablevision yoke, MSG has become the kind of propaganda mill that reflects the Dolans' low regard for subscribers, sports fans and obvious truths.

Consider that MSG recently took the biggest Knicks story of the year - the lawsuit against Isiah Thomas - and ordered it totally ignored. MSG viewers are supposed to be too stupid to know any better. Trouble is, they're too familiar with Dolan/Cablevision to expect any better.

Consider that Jim Dolan's idea of a bad team broadcaster is Marv Albert. His idea of a good one is Fran Healy.

Consider that the YES Network blew its chance to replace MSG as the new ol' reliable, because programming either must meet with George Steinbrenner's approval or keep him from registering his disapproval.

From Day 1, YES had Steinbrenner/Yankee shill and clownish self-promoter John Sterling forced upon it (and us) as the voice of YES.

Consider that last spring, although the Yanks were in Fenway and YES owned the New York rights to the game, YES, on behalf of Steinbrenner's sensitivities, ignored the Red Sox World Series ring ceremony - an event known to occur once every 86 years.

The sorriest thing we can write about many people at MSG and YES is that we feel sorry for them, sorry they must pay a professional price because their network's owners simply don't get it. The owners don't understand that treating a viewer with respect for his/her intelligence is a good reflection on that viewer - but an even better one on themselves.

And so it's all there for the taking. SNY has the opportunity to become known as the one local sports network in three that treats folks right, as if they know good from bad and a knockout from a dive.

Jon Litner, SNY's president, and Curt Gowdy, Jr., the ABC Sports vet who is SNY's executive producer, insist the Mets, Comcast and Time-Warner - SNY's ownership - have not only granted them permission to present unfettered, do-the-right-thing TV, but prefer that to transparent cheerleading and burying word of Yankees winning streaks.

Litner and Gowdy say they recognize on what, other than Met games, SNY can build its reputation. They say that everyone who counts is of a like mind. They also know that unless they can back it up, starting Thursday, such talk is cheap.

SNY remains very close to a finished deal with Cablevision and several smaller systems. SNY claims it fully expects to be cleared on all of them, at the latest by Opening Day. As for satellite, DirecTV is a lot closer to a done deal than Dish.

I'm guessing the chances of Dish picking up Sportstime Ohio is not very good considering they not picking up the Mets.

Looks like it's back to cable.

Sny

Been with Dish from almost the beginning, October 1996. Have a beautiful new 62” Mits DLP. Been ready to upgrade for a month, but one things for sure, NO METS - NO DISH. And I’m not going to wait much longer. Chuck, don’t make me go back to Cablevision.

As for me, NO METS = NO DISH - NO CABLEVISON
FIOS TV will be offered in the Town of Hempstead (largest township in the country) in approximately five months. While most of the baseball season will have passed, my anger toward Dish will remain. I will be forced to "go to bat" for FIOS TV. Pretty sad when you think about it.

Last edited:
The link is broken now. After you fill out the form and submit it, it refuses to go through.

C'mon Charlie my Mets are finally worth watching after a decade or two and now you are keeping them from me.

You can Email Charles all you want, it isn't going to do any good you should just be happy with what you got left. Crimecast is trying to rule over all sports, and when it comes to commie cast and dishnetwork they are not very good friends, sorta like the Hatfield's and the McCoy's. The Cable, Dish and now the phone TV business has to come to a head on local sports. I really hate to bring the Boobs in from Washington but some kind of legal rights to the veiwing public should be considered. When teams are owned buy cable companies like here in Filthadelphia the only people who suffer are the ones that don't have cable. Its' all money, I have come to the mine set that screw the local teams all playoff games are on national TV, just jump on the band wagon it's allot easier and you will be allot richer in the long run. You just get tired of all the BS, I hate them all,it's nice to live in the USA.

I think Dish is making a huge mistake giving up the whole baseball market in the NY area. Baseball is huge in NY. Unlike most of the country (where football is the # 1 sport), baseball is # 1 in NY. I think Dish is really misreading the NY/NJ/CT market. If they have no baseball on in this area they will be giving up all customers who are baseball fans to DirecTV or cable. It is bad enough they do not carry YES, but not carry SNY either is a big mistake. They will lose lots of business.

I can tell you they could care less about sports fans in NY. They make plenty of cash by all the people in the boonies out west that have no cable option. I was told by a local Dish installer last year the Yes was on the way. Nope.....not:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Stanleee said:
I can tell you they could care less about sports fans in NY. They make plenty of cash by all the people in the boonies out west that have no cable option. I was told by a local Dish installer last year the Yes was on the way. Nope.....not:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well, I think that is dumb business. The NY market is the largest market in the country. They are giving up lots of current and future customers by shutting themselves out of NY baseball. They can make money on people out west, and tap into the NY baseball market, too. Just a dumb business decision. I bet some Dish customers that are NY baseball fans will switch to DirecTV or cable, and people looking to satellite in the future will choose DirecTV over Dish because of no baseball. Just a dumb business decision. It is bad enough they do not have YES, but to not have SNY also is plain stupid.

uroberto said:
Aren't YES and SNY asking for a lot $$$ per subscriber? These sports channels would raise everyone's rates and you know how people complain about that.

I am really starting to get sick of Dish using this as an excuse to not get these RSN"s. All I know is every local cable company and DirecTV is about to get on board and have YES and SNY. How come Dish is the only one to say they have to raise everyone's rates so they won't carry them ? I think it is a bunch of nonsense. Every other provider sees fit to carry these channels and Dish should, too.

Also, how about all the extra customers they will bring in and existing customers they will not lose by carrying these channels. If each customer spends about $ 60 a month that is a lot of revenue these channels will bring.

Take it from someone who has lived in NY all their life. If they have no NY baseball teams on their system they will lose tons of business. Between the Mets and Yankees this season they will draw about 7 million people to their ballparks. Baseball is huge in NY. You cannot have no NY baseball on your service. I am sure they already have lost lots of Yankee fans. Now they will lose out on the Met fans, too.

Last edited:
Someone needs to explain to me why, over the last few years, my rates have not gone down! I have now lost NY Nets, NY Yankees & soon NY Mets programming. If this product is so expensive, we certainly should have gotten a break when it was taken away right?

ccash said:
Someone needs to explain to me why, over the last few years, my rates have not gone down! I have now lost NY Nets, NY Yankees & soon NY Mets programming. If this product is so expensive, we certainly should have gotten a break when it was taken away right?

That's a great point. Everyone talks about how Dish has to keep their rates down, and not get these RSN's because they would have to raise rates. Well, last I looked Dish has basically the same rates as every other provider give a take a little and they do not have all the RSN's. The other cable/satellite companies have basically same rates as Dish yet they carry all the RSN's. Someone please explain that to me ?

ccash said:
Been with Dish from almost the beginning, October 1996. Have a beautiful new 62” Mits DLP. Been ready to upgrade for a month, but one things for sure, NO METS - NO DISH. And I’m not going to wait much longer. Chuck, don’t make me go back to Cablevision.
Cablevision doesnt have a deal either

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)