Sportster 5 install

stimpson

Miller Lite Tester
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Benton, Arkansas
I'm changing out my wifes old Sportster with a Sportster 5. The old one was hard wired in by the installers at Best Buy. I think they tapped into the cig. lighter wire for power. Well, the tip (power) that connects into the base from the older install is larger than recepticle of the newer one. Instead of resplicing into lighter power again, can I just cut the larger older tip off and splice the smaller newer one on the existing install?

I am not familiar with these units, but I offer a word of advice.

Do NOT cut and slice.

The reason for the difference usually is because there is a voltage difference. If the voltage of the Sportster is higher than the Sportster 5, you will fry the unit. If it is less, then the unit may not work.

Bob

Took your advice Remilk. I checked the voltage on the install that BB had wired in and it was twelve volts. The new radio is five volts. So I went to radio shack and bought a replacement cig. lighter and wired it into connected it to the wire BB installed, plugged in the power adapter to that, all is good.

Glad I Helped!

You did the correct thing by checking the voltage before connecting. It sounds like you have a good install!

Enjoy satellite radio.

Bob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)