Sportstime Ohio on DirecTV Choice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

realbbbb

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2014
CFB Gifs
I was looking around my channel lineup online the other day (DirecTV Choice package in Morgantown WV--Pittsburgh DMA) and noticed that SportsTime Ohio (662) was listed as one of the channels I should be receiving under "Nationals". I do not have HD service, only SD. When I went to ST Ohio it gave me a (721) Not Subscribed error on all 3 receivers (D12-100) after I restarted them, refreshed them online, etc. I called customer service and the CSR told me (after nearly 20 mins) that the reason it does not show is because that channel is HD only and since I don't have HD service I will not be able to receive it. Is that accurate? I know that Indians games would be blacked out (due to MLB broadcast rules) regardless so this error was received outside of Indians games. Attached are screenshots of the channel lineup from the DirecTV My Account page and the DirecTV front page (input zip code only) both showing SportsTime Ohio as a channel in the Choice package.
DirecTV Channel Lineup Screenshot.jpg DirecTV Channel Lineup Screenshot (main page).jpg

Since I have HD service, I just changed the display settings to show all channels in the Guide, and it shows STO 662 as both HD/SD
So it should work regardless of HD or not, I would call again or reset the receiver again.

STO, has a VERY Large footprint on DirecTV. Their territory claims much of Ohio, West PA, and most of Western NY. I live in a Suburb of Rochester NY, this means I get all these regional Sports Networks, YES, MSG, Sports NY, STO. This means I get all the games for these teams, NY Rangers, NJ Devils, NY Islanders, Buffalo Sabres, Brooklyn Nets, Kicks, Yankees, Mets, and Indians, plus MLS NY Teams, and some WNBA games.

Last edited:
Why is this a national channel? I couldn't be much farther(north of SF) away from Ohio without living in Hawaii and I'm watching a D-Backs/Indians games right now. I noticed this channel when comparing packages the other day and I thought it was rather odd to have an RSN as a national channel. Is there some story that goes along with it?

Why is this a national channel? I couldn't be much farther(north of SF) away from Ohio without living in Hawaii and I'm watching a D-Backs/Indians games right now. I noticed this channel when comparing packages the other day and I thought it was rather odd to have an RSN as a national channel. Is there some story that goes along with it?

It is blacked out for me... I have the sports pack.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It is blacked out for me... I have the sports pack.

I believe games are normally blacked out with Sports Pack, you might want to check when the game is over. I have MLB-EI which could be why I can see the game. Like me, I'm assuming you're not in the RSN's service area? I have the Choice package by the way.

I believe games are normally blacked out with Sports Pack, you might want to check when the game is over. I have MLB-EI which could be why I can see the game. Like me, I'm assuming you're not in the RSN's service area? I have the Choice package by the way.

That is indeed why you can see it. If I understand it correctly, MLB EI and the RSNs share the same feed of the game, so you should be able to see it there, and on all RSN channels should be allowing you to watch all the MLB games live.

Reactions: Jimbo
I believe it is a glitch on the Directv site and that STO is not included in any package except sports pack on a national level.
I am in Michigan and saw STO listed as well, but do not get it, HD or SD, nor would I expect to get it in Michigan.

It is a regional sports net, and should only be part of the package in the Ohio and surrounding area.

This link will show what RSN is available for your zip code:

http://www.directv.com/rsn

Okay, I get it now, because I have MLB-EI I can get the game but I will very likely not get the regular programming(no Sports Pack), and the fact that it shows in the Choice channel listing is a glitch. Makes sense, thanks guys!

I believe it is a glitch on the Directv site and that STO is not included in any package except sports pack on a national level.
I am in Michigan and saw STO listed as well, but do not get it, HD or SD, nor would I expect to get it in Michigan.

It is a regional sports net, and should only be part of the package in the Ohio and surrounding area.

This link will show what RSN is available for your zip code:

http://www.directv.com/rsn
I posted a link above for available rsns as well.

Okay, I get it now, because I have MLB-EI I can get the game but I will very likely not get the regular programming(no Sports Pack), and the fact that it shows in the Choice channel listing is a glitch. Makes sense, thanks guys!
Right, you have access to the game because of the MLB EI package, but I think the other programming on the RSN will not be available to you, that may include Pre and Post game shows.

Right, you have access to the game because of the MLB EI package, but I think the other programming on the RSN will not be available to you, that may include Pre and Post game shows.

Correct, only the game. If you have sports pack and EI, the RSNs are basically all open as if they were local for the live games. That's how it is for me during previews of EI, CI, LP l.

Just to post an update, I called back tonight and spoke to a different CSR and eventually a supervisor. Basically, to summarize, it's a mistake on the website and should not be included in the CHoice package for my zip code. He (the supervisor) mentioned something about a change in STO on May 21, 2014 in that it was available nationally (listed in some notes thing they have access to). However, the only way I would have access to it is via the Sports Pack. And the first CSR who said it was because I didn't have HD was full of crap. Thanks for all replies.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts