sprint announces 3 new cities for 4g

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
as of sept 1, if you live in boston, providence or daytona beach (yay me), 4g is now available...although, i haven't found it at my home yet.

also read, at ppcgeeks.com that the airave 2 with 3g is available through retention. took me a bit but my new one should arrive soon. that means i can activate the hotspot on my evo. must send the original airave back.

Let me know when Sprint announces that they admit that per the ITU, their "4G" is just a variation of 3G.

Let me know when Sprint announces that they admit that per the ITU, their "4G" is just a variation of 3G.
i wish they wouldn't force down our throats the extra $10 charge for 4G. i shouldn't have to pay for it if i don't want it.

From what I have read and seen is that their actually installing new 4G hardware. So I would say if they keep doing that in the markets that they are putting 4G in it will be 4G speeds. They've had test out already in some of their 4G markets and the speeds are 4G speeds. Right now Sprint one of the few carriers being aggressive about getting 4G up. So reality where they have the new hardware installed it's true 4G no variation. Not to say they might have variations in some markets but not all.

i had 4g coming home from the grocery story thursday and the signal was strong. i would say it was continuous for like 10 minutes. also popped up at home this morning for 2 seconds. heck, i can't get a solid 3g signal in my home, let along 4. hopefully, airvana will help 3g.

That will probably be the same cold day in hell as when Dish Network admits their HD-Lite version (1/3rd less horizontal resolution) does not meet the ATSC specification.

Me: Hello FCC, Dish Network is selling HD programming that does not meet the ATSC specification...and it looks like crap!
FCC: Deceptive business practices are handled by the FTC.
FTC: All broadcast, cable and satellite issues are handled by the FCC.
FCC: FTC
FTC: FCC
FCC: FTC
FTC: FCC
Me: I give up!

Navy, have you fired a complaint?

Last edited:
i wish i had a free life..free 4G and free housing, free food, free utilities, free directv with all the ppv's and movies, free handshakes from everyone who is honored by my presence.

i had 4g coming home from the grocery story thursday and the signal was strong. i would say it was continuous for like 10 minutes. also popped up at home this morning for 2 seconds. heck, i can't get a solid 3g signal in my home, let along 4. hopefully, airvana will help 3g.

I would really like to see what type of speeds you are getting when you are in a 4G area. It would be nice to see what type of speeds people are actually getting on the 4G network.

i wish they wouldn't force down our throats the extra $10 charge for 4G. i shouldn't have to pay for it if i don't want it.

I agree, you should not have to pay the extra $ 10 till your city has it active.
They presume you may travel to a city that has it and then you can use it .... thats a small percentage of people, they are making a ton of money off those that have no way of getting it.

If you happen to go to a city that has 4G available, have the phone find it and ask you if you want to access it and be charged at that point.

I would really like to see what type of speeds you are getting when you are in a 4G area. It would be nice to see what type of speeds people are actually getting on the 4G network.

if i had it long enough, i would run a speed test. obviously, with my crippled hands that isn't going to be when i'm traveling 35mph in someone's car. sorry.

I agree, you should not have to pay the extra $ 10 till your city has it active.
They presume you may travel to a city that has it and then you can use it .... thats a small percentage of people, they are making a ton of money off those that have no way of getting it.

If you happen to go to a city that has 4G available, have the phone find it and ask you if you want to access it and be charged at that point.
:up

as of sept 1, if you live in boston, providence or daytona beach (yay me), 4g is now available...although, i haven't found it at my home yet.

also read, at ppcgeeks.com that the airave 2 with 3g is available through retention. took me a bit but my new one should arrive soon. that means i can activate the hotspot on my evo. must send the original airave back.

How did you get your Airave swapped?

Is it possible to get a free Airwave since I live in a roaming area?

Attachments

• WebImageStream6.gif
    WebImageStream6.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 203
How did you get your Airave swapped?

it took many calls to retention but i found a supervisor who put the order in while we were talking. in fact, the airvana is already on my account.

my understanding from what i read at ppcgeeks.com is only retention can authorize a swap and you have to send your airave back. the units won't be available to the public until late this year or early next.

probably. i live in a best coverage area according to sprint but my house must be in a dead spot as i drop calls like crazy without my airave. the new unit has 3g!

I apparently have the same situation.

My phone would suddenly not receive calls when at home, but work fine away from home.

I called and talked to them and they said I had a bad phone, to buy a new phone ( in fairness, it was an older phone) but that wasn't the issue.
I went and bought a new phone, had the same problem, exchanged for a different type phone, same issue. Had the phones checked by Sprints repair service, everything is fine.

It seems that they made some adjustment to the tower feeding my location and would not admit it (to this day they still haven't fixed it)

I had perfect service sitting my phone in the same location for 8 years prior to this, so it's not ME.

They eventually offered me a AirWave, (which I have to power and supply HSI to) or they were gonna let me out of my contract.

BTW, they never offered to compensate me for not being able to recv calls at home, even though I made several calls to do such a thing.

They claimed that I was still using my phone, so they weren't responsible for it.

I told them I could use it as long as I was NOT HOME, what good is THAT.

i'm lucky if i get 2 bars without the unit. same problem with data. sprint let me out of a mobile broadband contract because my signal was horrific. the new unit will boost both voice and data signal.

Flash might be coming to the iPhone

DishPointer Augmented Reality app?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)