Sprint: Samsung Epic 4G or HTC EVO 4G?

Which Sprint 4G phone would you select?

• Samsung Epic 4G

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • HTC EVO 4G

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Because I bought it and want to do whatever I want to do with it. Same reason I never ran stock on my Mogul, TP, and TP2. Lots of cool stuff beyond stock.
Good answer. :) As much I like tearing things apart, I've never been inclined to root/jailbreak my phone...just apply the normal vendor supplied updates. Of course, my opinion may very well change.

My thought was to be able to use what was already on it.
I thought that rooting it was only to put extra stuff on it.

Then again, I have never done anything like that.

What happens if you have to take it back for problems, don't they frown on this ?

Rooting allows you to use things that you cant stock, and in many cases improve the overall performance of the phone (of course there are bad roms too).

It is as easy to unroot and restore as it is to root in my experience.

I agree with Jagz. He has made the phone better than it was. Much more you can do rooted than stock.

Yep. I haven't done anything crazy with the phone. So if I handed it to you, you really have to look hard to notice any differences at this point between my rooted one and stock. So it is the same phone and I will know how good this phone is and more ;)

Big thing I want for rooted is tethering and hot spot for me.

Meh, my Sprint 3G speeds are nothing to write home about. I'll be on the Clearwire/Sprint 4G network within the week. Offhand, can anyone post their 4G speed?

14208432.png

Much faster than what we get here... it is rare to see over 500 down here. The norm being around 200 and lower. A ticket is opened with them but I believe they have a bottleneck issue here since the threw in the 3g to get off of alltels leased 3g before the EVO launched.

Much faster than what we get here... it is rare to see over 500 down here. The norm being around 200 and lower. A ticket is opened with them but I believe they have a bottleneck issue here since the threw in the 3g to get off of alltels leased 3g before the EVO launched.

You see the same speeds that I was getting in a major metropolitan area. The 3G speeds for sprint were the worst for the area.

You see the same speeds that I was getting in a major metropolitan area. The 3G speeds for sprint were the worst for the area.
The speed I posted was actually 50-miles outside any metro area. My 3G speeds are the same or better than my iPhone buddies in the areas I use it most. I really have very few complaints about the Sprint service over the years, but I am concerned that they'll oversell their network, like AT&T, with the success of their 4G phones. Would I prefer to be with Verizon Wireless...yes, but not at twice the price. It is what it is, I supposed.

The speed I posted was actually 50-miles outside any metro area. My 3G speeds are the same or better than my iPhone buddies in the areas I use it most. I really have very few complaints about the Sprint service over the years, but I am concerned that they'll oversell their network, like AT&T, with the success of their 4G phones. Would I prefer to be with Verizon Wireless...yes, but not at twice the price. It is what it is, I supposed.

If I was on you Sero plan I would also put up with the slower network. Around here AT&T is in the lead for speed of the network with Verizon not to far behind (Sprint dead last). I normally get around 2.5 to 3.5MB with AT&T (max speed seen 5.25MB) and friends with Verizon get close to 2.5MB. I would be happy with both of these but AT&T offers the phone that the Wife likes the most so AT&T is my choice.

If I was on you Sero plan I would also put up with the slower network. Around here AT&T is in the lead for speed of the network with Verizon not to far behind (Sprint dead last). I normally get around 2.5 to 3.5MB with AT&T (max speed seen 5.25MB) and friends with Verizon get close to 2.5MB. I would be happy with both of these but AT&T offers the phone that the Wife likes the most so AT&T is my choice.
It's as fast or faster than AT&T's 3G in the DC and Dallas markets where I spend most of my time...although it's not as fast as Verizon Wireless 3G is these markets. Conversely, Sprint 4G is deployed in Dallas, is being rolled-out in DC, and is also deployed in Baltmore HD and Richmond VA where I allso spend a fair amount of time. Would I be with Sprint if it weren't for SERO? Probably not, I would be with Verizon. The bottom line is Sprint provides the fastest network for my needs over the next 12-months and great pricing with the SERO. I should be able to post 4G stats from Baltimore and Dallas this upcoming week. Most of my Sprint 4G non-SERO associates report speeds of 5-7MB, which is fine with me.

I loaded Swype last last and I'm very happy with it. However, I could really use a Netflix and SatelliteGuys android app - hopefully, they will be available soon.

Has anyone used the SlingPlayer app?

The slingplayer app worked well with the EVO. I could only use it on wifi because of speeds but it really looked nice. I wish I could sell the app to somebody as it will no longer be used. :(

I don't think you can but if for some reason you find out that you can let me know. I would love to sell he Sling Player application.

Man, I am LOVING the sling player app. I use it daily, on football saturdays when I am grilling it is on every time I have to go out to check the grill

The slingplayer app worked well with the EVO. I could only use it on wifi because of speeds but it really looked nice. I wish I could sell the app to somebody as it will no longer be used. :(

There has to be a problem somewhere. Perhaps your home upload speed?. It works great for me over 3g even with my DSL. What kind of home connection do you have?
Can you give more detail?
Wifi where? Using Wifi on your home network to watch? Or wifi elsewhere?
Wifi on my home network is like watching it on my tv, pretty crystal clear. Wifi elsewhere will only look as good as the speed that I get, and is dependent on the speed of my upload at home.
And will 3 or 4g speed not work with sling at all for you?

Last edited:
I loaded Swype last last and I'm very happy with it. However, I could really use a Netflix and SatelliteGuys android app - hopefully, they will be available soon.

Has anyone used the SlingPlayer app?

My last two posts covered most of this, but I will give a little more detail. I have the sling solo using att fastaccess DSL. The fastest DSL they have, but obviously not on the same level as the best broadband these days. On my phone, even using 3g, I can watch without interruption assuming my signal is strong. It obviously looks better over most wifi connections, but on a cell phone size screen it is watchable and handy.
Most peoples biggest problem is upload speed at the home. However being that my DSL upload speed is not fantastic, if it doesnt work well for some, as jagz said, I am curious the reason.

For me, the app has been well worth the money, even though it was expensive for an app. Now if there was an extra monthly fee I would probably reconsider, but as it is, I am happy with it.

msmith198025 said:
There has to be a problem somewhere. Perhaps your home upload speed?. It works great for me over 3g even with my DSL. What kind of home connection do you have?
Can you give more detail?
Wifi where? Using Wifi on your home network to watch? Or wifi elsewhere?
Wifi on my home network is like watching it on my tv, pretty crystal clear. Wifi elsewhere will only look as good as the speed that I get, and is dependent on the speed of my upload at home.
And will 3 or 4g speed not work with sling at all for you?

Watching on any wifi was fine. Problem was the poor 3G speeds I was getting on sprint. I have the sling player for the iPhone and it works great on att 3G.

Watching on any wifi was fine. Problem was the poor 3G speeds I was getting on sprint. I have the sling player for the iPhone and it works great on att 3G.
Unfortunately I had to go into Northern VA this morning instead of being home in Dallas. Anyway, it gave me an opportunity to check-out the 3G and 4G speeds on the EVO.

Sprint 3G 50-miles south of DC and 50-miles north of Richmond (Richmond, Baltimore and DC have 4G):

14387943.png
14388151.png

Sprint 3G (8-miles outside of DC):

14393524.png
14393496.png

Sprint 4G (inner-office 1 of 3 bars):

14393589.png
14393432.png

Sprint 4G (standing against a window on 4th floor 2 of 3 bars):

14400885.png

Sprint 4G (window on 7th floor facing more towards DC):

14403865.png
14403895.png

Anyways, Sprint is not advertising their 4G coverage in DC because they are still building it to the near areas. Although coverage is a bit spotty 8-miles out, Sprint 4G is extremely fast if you have a clear LOS. Needless to say, the more bars the better the speeds. I'm sure their 4G will improve over time, but I'm sure it will take 12-18 months to have decent 4G coverage 10, 15, 20 miles outside of the city.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts