Sprint: Samsung Epic 4G or HTC EVO 4G?

Which Sprint 4G phone would you select?

• Samsung Epic 4G

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • HTC EVO 4G

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No 4G for me... closest to me is Atlanta or Houston.

I'm at work with full 6 bars of -60dbm signal... hitting 200/100 this morning. On the way to work I was hitting 1200/600 in some areas. By the airport, where my TP2 would stall on data usage, getting 6/100. Cute eh?

They have some issues with towers in this area.. going to call in again about the ticket opened with them. My guess is they threw in the 3G to stop paying Alltel(VZW) for leasing their 3G and they didn't have the correct backhaul to some towers.

Unfortunately I had to go into Northern VA this morning instead of being home in Dallas. Anyway, it gave me an opportunity to check-out the 3G and 4G speeds on the EVO.

Sprint 3G 50-miles south of DC and 50-miles north of Richmond (Richmond, Baltimore and DC have 4G):

14387943.png
14388151.png

Sprint 3G (8-miles outside of DC):

14393524.png
14393496.png

Sprint 4G (inner-office 1 of 3 bars):

14393589.png
14393432.png

Sprint 4G (standing against a window on 4th floor 2 of 3 bars):

14400885.png

Sprint 4G (window on 7th floor facing more towards DC):

14403865.png
14403895.png

Anyways, Sprint is not advertising their 4G coverage in DC because they are still building it to the near areas. Although coverage is a bit spotty 8-miles out, Sprint 4G is extremely fast if you have a clear LOS. Needless to say, the more bars the better the speeds. I'm sure their 4G will improve over time, but I'm sure it will take 12-18 months to have decent 4G coverage 10, 15, 20 miles outside of the city.

Sprint did announce 4G coverage for DC/NoVA 3 months prior to the Richmond 4G launch that been in on for at least 3 months. Cear/Sprint 4G footprint is small with some holes in it like swiss cheese. On my Clear Spot 4g I can get 6 to 8 at night but around 4-5 during the day.

Sprint did announce 4G coverage for DC/NoVA 3 months prior to the Richmond 4G launch that been in on for at least 3 months. Cear/Sprint 4G footprint is small with some holes in it like swiss cheese. On my Clear Spot 4g I can get 6 to 8 at night but around 4-5 during the day.
I guess I meant to say they aren't pushing it outside The District. In fact, I plugged in several addresses near work and Sprint says only 3G coverage is available.

Sprint 3G 50-miles south of DC and 50-miles north of Richmond (Richmond, Baltimore and DC have 4G):

14387943.png
14388151.png

Sprint 3G (8-miles outside of DC):

14393524.png
14393496.png

Sprint 4G (inner-office 1 of 3 bars):

14393589.png
14393432.png

Sprint 4G (standing against a window on 4th floor 2 of 3 bars):

14400885.png

Sprint 4G (window on 7th floor facing more towards DC):

14403865.png
14403895.png

Nice speeds. Hopefully you continue to get those nice 4G speeds months after it is officially deployed for your area. In reality does anybody really need any faster than that unless you are using your phone for tethering.

Went to a Rat Shack last night to check out the Epic/EVO. I still have my Mogul and these phones seam HUGE compared to the Mogul! Still debating if the EVO or Epic are right for me since they appear sooooo much bigger than the Mogul.

I guess it is at least nice to have a choice now!:)

Nice speeds. Hopefully you continue to get those nice 4G speeds months after it is officially deployed for your area. In reality does anybody really need any faster than that unless you are using your phone for tethering.
My lastest speed test:
14517522.png

Although the speeds are pretty great from the 7th floor pointing Northeast, the 4G footprint is pretty small. For example, I don't pick-up 4G until I am almost within the city limits, and 4G will fade and out far too easily. To be honest, I would prefer to have a reliable constant data rate of 2-3Mb than 8Mb one minute...600Kb then next...and 1.2Mb the next. I like what Sprint is doing with their version of 4G, but I'm sure Verizon and AT&T will blow right past them when they start deploying LTE - but that's a year or more down the road IMO.

Went to a Rat Shack last night to check out the Epic/EVO. I still have my Mogul and these phones seam HUGE compared to the Mogul! Still debating if the EVO or Epic are right for me since they appear sooooo much bigger than the Mogul.

I guess it is at least nice to have a choice now!:)
Yep, I finally got rid of my old Mogul and the EVO/Epic have a much bigger footprint. However, I noticed the phones were actually the same weight. Go figure.

My lastest speed test:
14517522.png

Although the speeds are pretty great from the 7th floor pointing Northeast, the 4G footprint is pretty small. For example, I don't pick-up 4G until I am almost within the city limits, and 4G will fade and out far too easily. To be honest, I would prefer to have a reliable constant data rate of 2-3Mb than 8Mb one minute...600Kb then next...and 1.2Mb the next. I like what Sprint is doing with their version of 4G, but I'm sure Verizon and AT&T will blow right past them when they start deploying LTE - but that's a year or more down the road IMO.

Doesn't the 3G kick in when the 4G drops, they have to be able to go back to 3G when 4G's not there, right ?

I mean, if your at your office and can get 4G in parts of it, don;t you get 3G in the rest ?

I saw the EVO, man thats a huge screen.. amazing size indeed.
Now I gotta see the EPIC.. and it has to be a real sample model not the fake toy one hehe

Doesn't the 3G kick in when the 4G drops, they have to be able to go back to 3G when 4G's not there, right ?

I mean, if your at your office and can get 4G in parts of it, don;t you get 3G in the rest ?
Yep, but we're paying for 4G so we should get 4G.:) Seriously, I don't have any problem with their 3G/4G service...but 4G is so much nicer.

I'm still waiting to see what kind of 4G speeds others Epic/EVO folks are getting. :confused:

Yep, but we're paying for 4G so we should get 4G.:) Seriously, I don't have any problem with their 3G/4G service...but 4G is so much nicer.

I'm still waiting to see what kind of 4G speeds others Epic/EVO folks are getting. :confused:

Some of us are luckier than others, there probably won't be 4 G here for a year or two and we STILL have to pay the extra cost .... btw, they told me that the extra fee is partially due to the HIGHER processor speeds and other stuff as well, not just the internet speed.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the whole 69 package go up10 the next year.

The closest I will get to 4G is possibly when I'm swapping plane flights in Dallas or Houston , IF it's available there in Feb.

Some of us are luckier than others...
True, but it all balances-out...I'm stuck with 2-houses and Rich Rodriguez. :(
.... btw, they told me that the extra fee is partially due to the HIGHER processor speeds and other stuff as well, not just the internet speed.
We all know this BS was delivered by Sprint's PR man Pinnochio.

The closest I will get to 4G is possibly when I'm swapping plane flights in Dallas or Houston , IF it's available there in Feb.
Hey, you can always move. I have a house for sale in a FiOS/4G neighborhood. :eek:

Ok here is the deal. Just came back from my local Sprint Store and put both EVO/EPIC side by side since they are both located in the same area and IMHO the Epic had a much better and hella of clear screen then the EVO.

Now It can be that the actual EVO that I saw there can be perhaps bad?? or simply the EPIC has a better overall screen resolution.. what gives?

Well I can say I was very impressed on how the Epic looked and how fast it moves compared to my current TP2 with Froyo 2.2

Damn, Now I need to decide on EVO or Epic or keep the TP2 LOL

Ok here is the deal. Just came back from my local Sprint Store and put both EVO/EPIC side by side since they are both located in the same area and IMHO the Epic had a much better and hella of clear screen then the EVO.

Now It can be that the actual EVO that I saw there can be perhaps bad?? or simply the EPIC has a better overall screen resolution.. what gives?

Well I can say I was very impressed on how the Epic looked and how fast it moves compared to my current TP2 with Froyo 2.2

Damn, Now I need to decide on EVO or Epic or keep the TP2 LOL
The EVO screen looks quite nice...until you put it next to the Epic. Lots of good things about the Epic (went back-and-forth for weeks), but in the end is a personal choice based on your needs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)