Sprint: Samsung Epic 4G or HTC EVO 4G?

Which Sprint 4G phone would you select?

• Samsung Epic 4G

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • HTC EVO 4G

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well...my wife and I dropped by the local Sprint-owned store today to look at phones. She is resistent to technological change, but hasn't been all that happy with her HTC Touch the past 3-years. Although she likes my EVO, it's not an option since it lacks a pullout keyboard (can't type on it with nails)...and she didn't like the price on the Epic. At first she didn't like the size of either phone, but that changed after playing with them. Anyway, she was contemplating settling on the Samsung Intercept since she was more comfortable with the size and price (she is not a power-user), but she was slowly being won over by the Epic.

Anyway, the sales rep told us Sprint would be offering a new Android Phone tomorrow called the Samsung Transform that may be better suited for her needs. Offhand, it's like a slightly smaller version of the Epic (which is fine), but it lacks some key features like: no Super AMOLED display, slower processor (800Mhz vice 1Ghz), and no 4G. We'll stop back tomorrow afternoon, but I am hoping she goes with the Epic. We shall see...

Samsung Transform comes to Sprint October 10 | CTIA 2010 - CNET Reviews

Well...my wife and I dropped by the local Sprint-owned store today to look at phones. She is resistent to technological change, but hasn't been all that happy with her HTC Touch the past 3-years. Although she likes my EVO, it's not an option since it lacks a pullout keyboard (can't type on it with nails)...and she didn't like the price on the Epic. At first she didn't like the size of either phone, but that changed after playing with them. Anyway, she was contemplating settling on the Samsung Intercept since she was more comfortable with the size and price (she is not a power-user), but she was slowly being won over by the Epic.

Anyway, the sales rep told us Sprint would be offering a new Android Phone tomorrow called the Samsung Transform that may be better suited for her needs. Offhand, it's like a slightly smaller version of the Epic (which is fine), but it lacks some key features like: no Super AMOLED display, slower processor (800Mhz vice 1Ghz), and no 4G. We'll stop back tomorrow afternoon, but I am hoping she goes with the Epic. We shall see...

I hadn't heard about the Transform yet.
It looks like it probably the same size as the Intercept, one that I looked at, but didn't like nearly as well, the Epic was not out at the time and the EVO was only out for a short while.

I advantage with the Transformer is the NO 4G therefore no EXTRA $ 10 p/m fee on top of thier "EVERYTHING" package.
Ya know, the package that DOESN'T cover everything ?

Extra fees for internet
No Mobile Hot Spot without an addl. fee.

The EXTRA fees for a EVERYTHING package really burns me.

I advantage with the Transformer is the NO 4G therefore no EXTRA $ 10 p/m fee on top of thier "EVERYTHING" package.

The big disadvantage is that the Transform only has a 88Mhz processor instead of the 1Ghz. This means that the Transform is stuck on android 2.1 or 2.2 for the life of the device. They will never come out with a supported version of Gingerbread for this device. At that point you may become restricted on what applications get installed as Gingerbread only apps get developed down the road.

The big disadvantage is that the Transform only has a 88Mhz processor instead of the 1Ghz. This means that the Transform is stuck on android 2.1 or 2.2 for the life of the device. They will never come out with a supported version of Gingerbread for this device. At that point you may become restricted on what applications get installed as Gingerbread only apps get developed down the road.

This was a Big reason why I went with the Epic over the Moment that I could have had months earlier.

ordered the EVO from .com since locally are sold out. Have 30 days to test it. We'll see how it goes

This was a Big reason why I went with the Epic over the Moment that I could have had months earlier.
The way I look at it is, why go with a cheaper phone that you are going to be stuck with for more than year...maybe 2.
Great points! My wife liked the Epic (pretty screen), but she didn't like the price. The Transform wasn't bad, but its 880Mhz processor lagged just a tad. Anyway, I told her I was buying her the Epic and she didn't resist because she loved the matching leather case - both parties happy! While certainly not a power-user, but she enjoyed setting it up yesterday and barely let me touch it. As much as I love my EVO I must say that Super AMOLED looks pretty with the light down low.

Great points! My wife liked the Epic (pretty screen), but she didn't like the price. The Transform wasn't bad, but its 880Mhz processor lagged just a tad. Anyway, I told her I was buying her the Epic and she didn't resist because she loved the matching leather case - both parties happy! While certainly not a power-user, but she enjoyed setting it up yesterday and barely let me touch it. As much as I love my EVO I must say that Super AMOLED looks pretty with the light down low.

There's really THAT much difference between the two screens ?

I thought they both looked great, didn't look at them side by side though.

Love quotes like this "Sprint representatives told CNET they believe the Transform will be upgradeable to Android 2.2." Kind of like Dish claiming "SOON"!

OK EVO arrived today . wahooo, now what?

Load that puppy up in the market. First program I would download is on called app brain. That let's you browse the app market from any pc and queue programs to download in your phone. Then next time you start the app brain app click sync and,all the programs you selected will install. Plus if you wipe your
phone just install app brain again and all your installed app will reinstall again. It's every cool app!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Load that puppy up in the market. First program I would download is on called app brain. That let's you browse the app market from any pc and queue programs to download in your phone. Then next time you start the app brain app click sync and,all the programs you selected will install. Plus if you wipe your
phone just install app brain again and all your installed app will reinstall again. It's every cool app!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

well I just rooted it.. simple. and loaded a custom firmware to play with called HTC EVO 2.2 Custom ROM v3.5 | FroYo 3.29.651.5 |

testing it now

I really like the HTC Sense UI...is there any other reason to root the phone other than tethering (which is reason enough - for sure!)?

thats what I want to test.. we'll see in a few hours or days hehe

if u guys want to root it, use unrevolked3 (one click application)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)