Which Sprint 4G phone would you select?

• Samsung Epic 4G

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • HTC EVO 4G

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
4gcoveragenova.jpg

Don't know why you are having 4G coverage issues.

Ok here is the deal. Just came back from my local Sprint Store and put both EVO/EPIC side by side since they are both located in the same area and IMHO the Epic had a much better and hella of clear screen then the EVO.

Now It can be that the actual EVO that I saw there can be perhaps bad?? or simply the EPIC has a better overall screen resolution.. what gives?

Well I can say I was very impressed on how the Epic looked and how fast it moves compared to my current TP2 with Froyo 2.2

Damn, Now I need to decide on EVO or Epic or keep the TP2 LOL

You do understand that even with your TP running Froyo that older Qualcomm CPU is not up to task.
Even when I put 2.2 on my Mytouch3g it ran slower.
Now Samsung has people pulling their hair out with the slowness of software fixes for the Galaxy S line of phones.

Ok here is the deal. Just came back from my local Sprint Store and put both EVO/EPIC side by side since they are both located in the same area and IMHO the Epic had a much better and hella of clear screen then the EVO.

Now It can be that the actual EVO that I saw there can be perhaps bad?? or simply the EPIC has a better overall screen resolution.. what gives?

Well I can say I was very impressed on how the Epic looked and how fast it moves compared to my current TP2 with Froyo 2.2

Damn, Now I need to decide on EVO or Epic or keep the TP2 LOL

Also notice that the Epic is only SLIGHTLY thicker than the EVO and has the keyboard, if thats something you want.
I really like mine and the keyboard is MUCH better than my older one and I use it all the time.

Also notice that the Epic is only SLIGHTLY thicker than the EVO and has the keyboard, if thats something you want.
I really like mine and the keyboard is MUCH better than my older one and I use it all the time.

Well I've had the Mogul, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2 .. so yeap gotta love that KB :D

Still thinking about picking up the EPIC... hmmm :eek:

Well I've had the Mogul, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2 .. so yeap gotta love that KB :D

Still thinking about picking up the EPIC... hmmm :eek:

I haven't had a phone without a keyboard since 2001 or so...the first RIM pager on the Motient network (before they were called Blackberries)

But in smartphones for my personal use I took the same path as you, Mogul, TP1, TP2... I played with the Epic and Evo in the store for about 15 min each. I found the Epic to be more responsive, better screen, and also the keyboard. So it was an easy choice for me. I've tried and tried to use Swype since I've had the Epic, but it's just a big no go. It's cute...but that's about it...non functional for me. After using keyboards on phones for 9 yrs I can't go back.

I haven't had a phone without a keyboard since 2001 or so...the first RIM pager on the Motient network (before they were called Blackberries)

But in smartphones for my personal use I took the same path as you, Mogul, TP1, TP2... I played with the Epic and Evo in the store for about 15 min each. I found the Epic to be more responsive, better screen, and also the keyboard. So it was an easy choice for me. I've tried and tried to use Swype since I've had the Epic, but it's just a big no go. It's cute...but that's about it...non functional for me. After using keyboards on phones for 9 yrs I can't go back.

I also can't get the hang of Swype although my friend uses here's all the time, without the swype she would have got the Epic, but didn't want to wait till it came out.

Two things I miss about my Mogul now that I have an EVO...

1. Surprisingly, I haven't missed the pull-out keyboard...but I sure do miss that thumb-wheel on the left side of the phone. It was just so nice to scroll up-and-down using the thumb-wheel while keeping just one hand securely wrapped around the phone.

2. Only one way to turn-on the phone. With the Mogul I could gently wiggle the keyboard forward and the phone would turn on instead of fumbling for power button.

Oh well, that's it...the other 9998 advantages go to the EVO.

4gcoveragenova.jpg

Don't know why you are having 4G coverage issues.
I work in the DC area more than half of my time and I can assure you the map you posted is not "real world" accurate. For example, I'll be driving up I-95 and I'll get perfect 4G reception in Springfield. I drive two miles north and I drop back into 3G for a mile or more. Likewise, the coverage will be in-and-out depending on my travels, and I will often be in 3G from the Pentagon west toward the Ballston (Arlington) area. According to Sprint my office address in Arlington does not have 4G coverage. Here is Sprint's 4G coverage map taken directly from their website. They don't even show 4G available in the area...just Richmond and Baltimore.

To be honest, I'm extremely happy with Sprint's 3G coverage and happy with their current 4G coverage in the area right now...but it is far from being fully-deployed and has more holes than a block of swiss cheese. I am sure their coverage will only continue to improve.

Attachments

• Sprint4G.gif
    Sprint4G.gif
    44.8 KB · Views: 113
1. Surprisingly, I haven't missed the pull-out keyboard...but I sure do miss that thumb-wheel on the left side of the phone. It was just so nice to scroll up-and-down using the thumb-wheel while keeping just one hand securely wrapped around the phone.

2. Only one way to turn-on the phone. With the Mogul I could gently wiggle the keyboard forward and the phone would turn on instead of fumbling for power button.

Oh well, that's it...the other 9998 advantages go to the EVO.

have u tried loading any custom roms to it?

I work in the DC area more than half of my time and I can assure you the map you posted is not "real world" accurate. For example, I'll be driving up I-95 and I'll get perfect 4G reception in Springfield. I drive two miles north and I drop back into 3G for a mile or more. Likewise, the coverage will be in-and-out depending on my travels, and I will often be in 3G from the Pentagon west toward the Ballston (Arlington) area. According to Sprint my office address in Arlington does not have 4G coverage. Here is Sprint's 4G coverage map taken directly from their website. They don't even show 4G available in the area...just Richmond and Baltimore.

To be honest, I'm extremely happy with Sprint's 3G coverage and happy with their current 4G coverage in the area right now...but it is far from being fully-deployed and has more holes than a block of swiss cheese. I am sure their coverage will only continue to improve.

That maps is Clear's 4G coverage. There isn't any difference since it's the same network.
Sprint coverage map is out of whack. It still shows parts of Richmond not covered that are. There are people in the Sprint users forum that have been using 4G overdrives and EVO's all around NoVA to Dulles. Most say it's spotty and full of holes.
I went to visit a friend in Baltimore and got decent service all the way up to Bmore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts