SSD...Worth it?

The way I do it is backup the drive to an external USB HD. Then swap the HD out for the SSD, then boot the recovery/install DVD, go under tools and restore the image back from the external USB HD. If something goes wrong you still have your original HD sitting outside the machine ready to be put back into service.

Best option is to do a re-install of the OS. There are things that Windows does during the installation for a SSD that you won't get just by restoring the image.

OCZ reliability has been horrible, their forums are swarmed by bad reviews and problems with BSOD!

On the other hand Kingston HyperX is much faster, but pricier than OCZ Vertex, but reliability has been way better.
Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX SH100S3B/240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (HyperX Upgrade Kit)

Actually that is an issue with an old firmware in the OCZs. If the computer were to sleep under certain conditions and then wake back up immediately, the drive controller would go into a 'panic lock', rendering the drive unusable. I had that happen to one of my Vertex2's. It was replaced under warranty and I was told the bug had been fixed in a newer firmware. Haven't had any issues since (over a year). I was also advised to update the firmware in my other drives to avoid the same issue.

not that I'm aware of.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

No. They just go dead over sudden. Fortunately, most have a 3-year warranty.

Not really.. the dying suddenly is the panic lock issue I mentioned above..

Aside from the automatic wear leveling algorithm to prevent writing to the same addresses over and over, the drives actually have 'reserved repair space' which transparently replaces any address that goes 'bad' with one of the reserved addresses. More than 10-15% of the drive would have to go bad before you would actually notice any decrease in capacity.

I think you're all talking about S.M.A.R.T.

No, you just missed the joke...

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not really necessary to have a large SSD in all honesty unless you only have one drive bay to work with (such as with a laptop). I have a pair of 64gb SSDs in one of my PowerEdge servers (RAID-1) as the system drive (this one boots even faster than the other one which has a pair of 15k RPM SAS drives) a 64gb in my desktop, and a 128gb in my laptop. The desktop and server have standard hard drives in RAID for the storage. The SSD's just need to be big enough for the OS and any installed programs.

On my newly installed SSD, Windows did not create a system reserved partition. Instead everything is in the same partition. Is this normal for an SSD?

Last edited:
You mean the 100mb partition? Yes it does. It just does not have an actual drive letter. It is only accessible from the emergency startup/F8 menu (Repair your computer). I can't be sure because I'm not near a computer right now but I believe it does show up in the disk management console (run > diskmgmt.msc).

Here you go.. It does show the reserved partition in the disk manager, but it will not show up in Explorer as a lettered/accessible drive.

diskmgmtx.png

It is my understanding that the "System Reserved" partition is only needed for BitLocker. If you are installing a version of Windows 7 that does not support BitLocker (Starter, Home, Premium, Professional), then it will not create the partition.

BitLocker is only included in Ultimate and Enterprise.

Last edited:
It is my understanding that the "System Reserved" partition is only needed for BitLocker. If you are installing a version of Windows 7 that does not support BitLocker (Starter, Home, Premium), then it will not create the partition.
I have Windows 7 Professional

I am looking into getting a solid state hard drive for my desktop and eventually my laptop. Is it worth the cost? I don't need a lot of storage. I will use it for the OS and the software. All of my files will be stored on my current drive which I will use as a secondary drive.

Two words.....OH YEAH!!!!
This computer runs extraordinarily faster with the SSD I installed.
Buy now!

It is my understanding that the "System Reserved" partition is only needed for BitLocker. If you are installing a version of Windows 7 that does not support BitLocker (Starter, Home, Premium, Professional), then it will not create the partition.

Interesting. I was under the impression that it contained the repair tools, regardless of bitlocker. I've done hundreds of installs of all different versions of Windows and I never actually paid attention whether the reserve partition was in all of them..

If you restart your computer and hit F8, do you get an option to "Repair Your Computer"?

I have Enterprise and I don't see the system reserved partition on my SSD drive.

It's not showing up on mine either. Hopefully this won't lead to any issues down the road.

OT, are SSDs worth it?
Daniel_Bryan_Yes.jpg

You really don't realize how much your standard HDD is a hindrance on your system's performance until you get one of these things. Even when I upgraded everything on my computer BUT the HDD I was still disappointed by how things didn't load significantly faster than they did when they were using technology from 6 years ago. Now though, with my SSD I feel my system is now finally where I truly want it to be. If you can get a good deal on one, by all means go for it. You'll love it and odds are you won't dare want to go back to platter HDDs anytime soon, except perhaps when it comes to file storage. When it comes to actual programs and execution, SSD can't be beat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)