SSH over Sat internet

viperadamr

Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
I am looking at getting wildblue at my residence. I use SSH to access some remote Unix servers. How does SSH work over Sat.? Is it at all usable?

I assume that WildBlue is similar to HughesNet.

I use ssh to access some servers I have behind my HughesNet internet. That is, I ssh INTO HughesNet.

The initial logon takes about 30-60 seconds. It's pretty much standard 1-2 second delays after that.

I haven't done ssh OUT OF HughesNet. I don't know if it would be better in that direction, or if it makes any difference which direction you're traversing.

I don't think that I would want to spend all day using ssh, because I'm used to the instant connectivity that we get nowadays. It's not horrible, however, but the little delays take some getting used to.

Having said that, however, I've been around long enough to remember the horrible 2400 bps lines that we used to have back in the Dark Times. Once I learned to understand how my Unix machines work and respond, it's possible to get some reasonable productivity.

HTH

The Wildblue service in general is not very good in my opinion. Starband is much better and they are actually transitioning to a new satellite right now. If it is cloudy or raining, Wildblue will not work.

On a good day though, SSH will work on Wildblue. It will definitely be slow, but it is that way on Starband too. So it will work, but no as good as it would on DSL, cable etc.

If you are just doing minimal tasks and tasks that are not time consuming, you will have no problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)