Stack 101 mode H24

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
I got a commercial install that has an old HNS Director pack standard def receiver. It’s running on an old stacked 101 fiber system at the GM Rencen building in downtown Detroit.

The receiver died, and I need to replace it.

Does anyone know if an H24 will run in stack mode for 101, or do I need a de stacker?

Need an external de-stacker ...

DIRECTV no longer bothered to incorporate internal de-stackers in their receivers after SWiM technology became available IIRC.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

What's "stack mode"?

Is this somehow different from legacy mode? H24s support legacy mode just fine.
That was the primary single cable solution for MDUs way back before SWiM was invented and the Ka band was in use.

Where the two 500 MHz wide odd and even tp. bands from 101W were "stacked" atop one another in frequency similar to DISH Network's original "DISH Pro" solution. By a "stacker" located near the dish, for distribution over a single cable run to an internal or external "de-stacker" at the receiver(s).

That was the primary single cable solution for MDUs way back before SWiM was invented and the Ka band was in use.

Where the two 500 MHz wide odd and even tp. bands from 101W were "stacked" atop one another in frequency similar to DISH Network's original "DISH Pro" solution. By a "stacker" located near the dish, for distribution over a single cable run to an internal or external "de-stacker" at the receiver(s).

Ah OK. Didn't know Directv had ever used a solution that stacked the two 101 polarities onto one cable. Looks like you'd need a destacker that put it back to the standard 950 - 1450 MHz on two cables, then you could connect them to a SWM switch and run SWM to the receiver.

Though they will need to upgrade that whole setup pretty soon - maybe this is Claude's opportunity to try to sell them on an HD upgrade? $$$ lol

Ah OK. Didn't know Directv had ever used a solution that stacked the two 101 polarities onto one cable. Looks like you'd need a destacker that put it back to the standard 950 - 1450 MHz on two cables, then you could connect them to a SWM switch and run SWM to the receiver.

Though they will need to upgrade that whole setup pretty soon - maybe this is Claude's opportunity to try to sell them on an HD upgrade? $$$ lol

Luckily I had a destacker and got it to work with an H24.

Been trying to get them to upgrade. The issue is that this system is in the GM Renaissance center and is running stack 101 over fiber.

So unless they are spending $20,000 for fiber converters, or paying me to run a line down 40 floors it’s sticking on 101

Well ..., as long as they don't need locals from 101 since those are going away of course, I guess they can continue to get away with such an archaic system.

And you replacing their age-old SD receiver with an H24 will prepare them for the coming 101 conversion to popular HD channels.

So a stacked 101 should continue to work for them indefinitely then.

Well it'll prepare them if they don't watch anything Directv doesn't consider a "popular channel" that makes it onto 101...can't count on that. At some point they'll have to either pay the $20K or say screw it and go with a Directv Now type solution for $200 :)

Well ..., as long as they don't need locals from 101 since those are going away of course, I guess they can continue to get away with such an archaic system.

And you replacing their age-old SD receiver with an H24 will prepare them for the coming 101 conversion to popular HD channels.

So a stacked 101 should continue to work for them indefinitely then.

I had no choice. It’s either convince General Motors to spend 20K to replace the fiber distribution system in their building. Or run an RG11 down 40 floors.

The security clearances required in that building along with the access procedure makes it near impossible to run a new line from the roof.

I put a Directv distribution system in the Federal building in Detroit back in 2014, and aside from the 10 top floors reserved for the FBI, I had no issues with access throughout this building.

The girl in charge of security wouldn’t even let me take my step ladder on the roof because she was afraid I would blow off the roof.

I had no choice. It’s either convince General Motors to spend 20K to replace the fiber distribution system in their building. Or run an RG11 down 40 floors.

The security clearances required in that building along with the access procedure makes it near impossible to run a new line from the roof.

I put a Directv distribution system in the Federal building in Detroit back in 2014, and aside from the 10 top floors reserved for the FBI, I had no issues with access throughout this building.

The girl in charge of security wouldn’t even let me take my step ladder on the roof because she was afraid I would blow off the roof.
Curious though ....

Did you make the upcoming changes to 101W (loss of locals, conversion to a subset of most popular national HD channels) within about 2 years clear to them?

And was that still acceptable to them? ...

If the senior manager in the building does not see his favorites on the 101 list, just see how quickly things will change!!

How many users of that Directv install are there? You make it sound like it was a single receiver. This for a TV in the lobby or something like that? I'd assume there are more, and maybe it is used primarily to put on a news channel they don't care about resolution.

There are (4) 40 story towers that make the GM Rencen.

We think there are about 12 tenants using the old 101 fiber stack system.

There have been a few converted over to a slimline and have their own separate Dish and switches.

Curious though ....

Did you make the upcoming changes to 101W (loss of locals, conversion to a subset of most popular national HD channels) within about 2 years clear to them?

And was that still acceptable to them? ...

I changed the receiver because I could not get the remote to work anymore. It was set on box 2 and after several attempts I couldn’t get a remote to program.

I got a new remote for box 1, but could not get box 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)