Stacked setup causing problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Absolut

Original poster
Feb 20, 2005
Hello,

This is my first time here and I am hoping to get some guidance on what I can do. I live in an apartment complex that has DirecTV through Qwest. Qwest owns all satellite dishes and the lines coming to each apartment and the feed coming from the satellite is stacked. I pretty much understand all of this.

I recently picked up a DirecTV DVR unit so that I could start recording stuff (including locals). At this time, I didnt have my local channels setup through DirecTV because they came in fine OTA. Now, because I have this DVR device, I want to have my locals turned on through DirecTV. The guy came over and put in some new equipment that allowed the feed in from both satellites A and B. However, we still had problems getting the box to pick up the second satellite. We went through the guided setup and it finally recognized satellite B and could pull in channel 400 (This is one of the channels off of satellite B). The receiver is utilizing both satellites in (so it can record and watch at the same time).. however, it has problems pulling in both satellite feeds. If I am watching a channel on satellite input 1, it will say that it can't find a signal on satellite input 2. if I switch to another channel on satellite input 1, it may not come in at all, but switching to the onther input it comes in fine. But.. I get my local channels in fine.

The other DirecTV receiver that I have is the Samsung HDTV SIR-TS360. This is one of the receivers that I am still having problems getting anything on. This receiver will not recognize satellite B at all. To check, he hooked up another receiver and it showed that it was getting a signal from it. The installer said that I may have to find an option in the receiver settings to show that I am using a stacked connection. So far, after going through all the options and the manual I have found no such option.

I am just so frustrated having to go through all of this because Qwest blames it on DirecTV, and DirecTV blames it on Qwest... it's a vicous circle that I get caught in the middle of. Sorry for the long post, but is there anyone out there that can help at all? Thanks!

Using multi-sats on a stacked system can complicate things. Without seeing what you have at the DVR, makes it hard to troubleshoot. A diagram or picture with the components would help.

As for your HD unit, you may need a pair of destackers to unstack the signals (again dependant upon how they have it setup) since I don't hink that unit (like the DVR) can do it on it's own. It's not on my list of stackable equipment, but wouldn't be the first time I had outdated info. Did the tech mention if they had a dish up for 110? If not, you may not get HD programming either.

I can try to see if I can post a diagram up to better illustrate.

The dish on top of the unit is a 3 LNB dish, so it can get HDTV programming. However, they are only allowing it to recieve 2 LNBs because they haven't decided when they want to start offering HDTV service. Right now, I use my HDTV receiver to get OTA HD stations.

It's the stupidest setup I have ever seen. I'm trying to see if I can get another tech out who better understands the actual receivers rather than the wiring.

OK.. here are my crude Photoshop attempts.

With the TS360 receiver, I'm not getting any signal on Satellite B. I know the signal is getting there becuase another receiver hooked up in the same location shows both satellites. Has something to do with receiver settings, need a destacker? something..

With the R10, I am pretty much getting everything (including locals). The only problem is that if I switch to one station it will say that it cannot find a signal on satellite input #2. If I switch to another station, that station may not come in at all.. but comes in fine on the satellite input #2. For example, I switched from FX, which came in just fine on satellite input #1 to the SciFI station which came up with the message that it was searching for signal on satellite input #1. When I switched to input #2, it comes in fine.

I hope this helps!

Attachments

• 360setup.jpg
    360setup.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 176
  • R10setup.jpg
    R10setup.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 184
randyway said:
Probably the same with the TS-360 receiver, also.

Where would the second D-Stacker go though? I'm confused on where I would put it.

one for each satellite input. From the wall, you have a 2gig 2way splitter into two d-stackers. The outputs of the d-stackers go to your tivo inputs. Thats it.

You can use just one destacker (if your provider is charging you for these, it can get to be expensive!) and a 3x4 multi-switch.

+ Split your line from the wall plate with a high frequency splitter.

+ Run one side of the splitter to the +13V side of the multi-switch

+ Run the other side of the splitter to the destacker.

+ Take the IF side of the destacker and run it to the +18V side of the multi-switch

This gives you four destacked ports to use.

last I saw, the TS-360 does have a destacker. I know the previous model does. Most of the HD receivers have a destacker built in, its just a pain in the ass to find a way to get it set up. Usually they are in hidden menus that you have to contact the manufacturer to find.

The R10 does not support stacked signals.

I do not believe that they have HD though. They may have a triple LNB but I would really doubt that they can get HD to you. It costs up to 2 million dollars for most medium sized MDUs to get HD installed, and sadly is not very often actually worth it. Why spend 2mil on something that maybe 20 people in an entire property is going to use?

ts-160 does have a destacker built in. I would assume that the 360 does too but they know what you say about assuming. The only people that would be able to answer this for sure would be samsung.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)