Stand alone Blu-ray DVD player or PS3

Sadoun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Columbus, OHIO
What is a better deal buying a Stand alone Blu-ray DVD player or PS3?

I like gaming (have an XBox360 with HD player), so a PS3 would get used more often.

If you already had a 360 then the PS3 is only an option if you want to play some of the exclusive games or take advantage of other features (and your friends all have PS3s, so you can play online with them), otherwise depending on what you need from a player it's hard to justify $399 if game playing ends up taking a backseat with the cheaper alternatives available. People said PS3 was best bang for your buck Blu-Ray player because it was the cheapest for so long and is relatively future proof.

Primary differance between the PS3 and everyone else -- The Hard Drive! The PS3's hard drive enables the PS3 to run faster on just about everything when it comes to Blu Ray. The latest Panasonic models come close on load times, menu access and restart times but the PS3 is still top dog on those measurements.

Now with PQ several standalone's have surpassed the PS3 when it comes to upconverting DVD to 1080i/p. Samsung with the HQV chip, Panney with their own and Sony latest standalones all do a better job. As for Blu-Ray PQ most have stated that the new Pannys and Sonys have a sharper or more colourful display then the PS3. If you have the latest in 1080p tech on a new HDTV then that might be true. However, the PS3 PQ is no slouch and the differances are not night and day -- they are miniscule at most.

Sound wise, standalones are using audio chips to decode the new high definition sound tracks while the PS3 uses software to do the same for DTS-HD Master. If you need analog out for delivery of that sound to an older receiver that does not have HDMI then you need to stay away from the PS3 as it only outputs its HD sound tracks over HDMI. I have noticed that the PS3 when playing back the DTS-HD Master soundtrack that it runs hotter and therefore the fan noise is more prevalent - causing me to turn up the volume - not neccesarilly a bad thing -- but it is my only pet peeve for the PS3. It should be noted that I have a first release 60GB PS3 and that the newer models do not exibit this trait.

Right now the Panasonic DMP -BD55 is the best bang for the buck for analog out on BluRay and the Panasonic DMP- BD35 is best bang for the buck (currently $199 at Costco's) if you only need HDMI.

The PS3 plays games and also surfs the internet (not as easily as your PC) and is an excellant media player (especially playing back pictures and video from your digital cameras).

Which takes us back to the hard drive of the PS3. Almost all (if not all) of the standalones require a SD memory card to become BD-Live. It is a very limited amount of memory. Until someone drops a minimum of 8GB on the motherboard of the standalones then the PS3, IMO, is still the best buy for a BD player - especially if BD - Live is very important to you. Also, I believe the memory is what helps the PS3 (along with the Cell chip) in accessing menus and starting the PS3 so quickly. The PS3 as a BD player is lighting fast compare to current BD standalones on the market. When using the bluetooth remote the PS3 acts as fast as you can push the button. The standalones are lightyears behind this. Waiting 2 to 4 seconds for the player to react to pusing a button after using the PS3 for a BD player is excruiating. Also, restarting a BD on the PS3 is very quck. When the standalones can at least keep up with the PS3 on at least the menu options and have adequate memory-on-board and not in a SD card then I will buy a standalone.

My only displeasure with the PS3 is that at times the fan is too loud (as meantioned during playback of DTS-HD Master sound tracks). Of course when I crank up the volume unless there is a very quiet sceen during the movie I do not notice it that much. Most standalones seem to make their most noise while accessing the menu and menu options. I still think that the PS3 is very quiet accessing menu options and when it comes to playing any Java based material on the BluRay the PS3 still holds a sizeable lead in access time and playback- once again due to that Hard Drive.

But, if I were buying right now and I was not a game player -- then there would be a Panasonic under my tree. The new Panasonics are very nice players all around and with their ethernet port are very easily upgraded. With a SD card they are BD-Live capable and they have not exibited any problems playing newer BD movies. Good Luck on your choice and enjoy -- Blu Ray really does make a differance.

Last edited:
Now with PQ several standalone's have surpassed the PS3 when it comes to upconverting DVD to 1080i/p. Samsung with the HQV chip, Panney with their own and Sony latest standalones all do a better job. As for Blu-Ray PQ most have stated that the new Pannys and Sonys have a sharper or more colourful display then the PS3. If you have the latest in 1080p tech on a new HDTV then that might be true. However, the PS3 PQ is no slouch and the differances are not night and day -- they are miniscule at most.

This is the only thing Id say. If you want media streaming and playing games, go with the PS3. If you just want to use it for movies, the new panny's and sony's are great.

Other considerations may be PS3's on-board wireless internet capabilities, if you are unable to run cable or don't wish to set up a bridge. Another recent improvement includes the ability to stream Pandora internet radio and Hulu directly through the PS3's internet browser. The PS3 also allows you to stream media from your PC's hard drive or over the internet using third party software like Tversity or PlayOn.

Keep an eye out for good bundles and discounts on the PS3 or any of the new standalones. This is a good time to jump into blu-ray!

microsoft cashback is down to 8% right now, I bought a second PS3 for BD/Gaming last week during the 30% offer. Made the price of the PS3 $279.

Make an account at live.com, search for PS3 console, pick ebay in the advertising box at the top of the search results, it will say what the current % back is. You have to use buyitnow and paypal to get the bargain. The % goes up and down so you can keep watching for it.

Cash back comes back to your paypal account anytime between 2 and 45 days.

I believe the absolute best PQ may come from the Denon and the upcoming OPPO. If you care to pay the freight.

I have a PS3 and not a single game. My 60GB PS3 also plays SACDs. I might one day get the OPPO to have just one box for CD, DVD, BD, SACD & DVD-Audio.

May as well get a PS3. It has a good overall rating, a lot of added multimedia capabilities, and you can play games on it! Unless you're very picky about audio & video quality, I think a PS3 would be a good bet.

I believe the absolute best PQ may come from the Denon and the upcoming OPPO. If you care to pay the freight.

I have a PS3 and not a single game. My 60GB PS3 also plays SACDs. I might one day get the OPPO to have just one box for CD, DVD, BD, SACD & DVD-Audio.

Maybe for DVD, but if Im not mistaken, the Denon uses the Panny Uniphier chip for BR.

I dont think you cant beat a BD35 for the price.

i have a samsung 26 inch widescreen hdtv
i dont have hdmi i got dvi with a hdmi adopter
with it work with a play station 3 im buying a 80 gb ps3 next week for my birthday to play blu rays and a couple of game

PS3. No brainer IMO.

It's more future proof than any standalone since the PS3's firmware is upgradable.

Err, how many drives have come out that haven't had updateable firmware?

PS3 is a better option because it has more lenient hardware specs from a future-proof standpoint, but I'm not sure just citing updateable firmware is adequate, and the price difference may not be worth it anymore for many looking for a no-frills HD movie experience.

I also think, with the new line of players, the future proof thing is moot. Then, there's Panasonics track record of FW updates, which is excellent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)