Standard TV's and Directv HD household (newbie question)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KosmoKramer

Original poster
Apr 24, 2005
Hi,
I will be moving to a household that has directv. My roommates want to upgrade to HD as I will bring a widescreen HDTV. However, if we do that, will the old standard defintion TV still be able to work with its standard directv reciever and not have black/grey bands on the top and bottom? Is the signal the same and just the hardware that does the decoding, or is the signal different? The old TV is still very nice and is actually only a year old, we don't want it to be obsolete. Thanks for any advice.

KosmoKramer

KosmoKramer said:
Hi,
I will be moving to a household that has directv. My roommates want to upgrade to HD as I will bring a widescreen HDTV. However, if we do that, will the old standard defintion TV still be able to work with its standard directv reciever and not have black/grey bands on the top and bottom? Is the signal the same and just the hardware that does the decoding, or is the signal different? The old TV is still very nice and is actually only a year old, we don't want it to be obsolete. Thanks for any advice.

KosmoKramer
Your HDTv will need a new HD STB and you all will also need the Oval Dish to receive the HDtv signal. You will "NOT" need to switch out the SD box for your Analog tv as it will work with your current set up. :yes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)