Star choice/birdog question

detroittech

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
I installed my uncle's Starchoice in Windsor the other day. It was the first time i've ever messed around with starchoice, as it's not supposed to be available in the states. I use the birdog meter and in preparation for the install i downloaded everything on birdog.net that said Anik on it (starchoices birds, as i understand, are the two anik sattelites e2 and f1.) which was like 8 or 9 indentifiers.

not one of them worked. i ended up having to go old school and drag the receiver and a tv up on the roof with an extension chord to sight it in. it worked fine, i got both sattelites right away, no problem.

on the off chance i need to know in the future, what was the problem? anyone out there doing starchoice with a birdog? if so, what do i need to download ? it was a stacked lnb with the 60' eliptical dish by the way.

the eliptical dish is non stacked, not stacked :)

The satellites are F1 & F2 (107.3 & 111.1) but the birdog should work. Its KU band

I can tell you, I flew someone who is REALLY good with satellites (or was supposed to be) cross country last year to work with me on the farm on my roof (including 2 toroidals which were a real pain).

He brought a Birddog and a SatHawk with him.

Nothing but issues with both of them. 2 days and we really got no service out of either.

The Accutrac I had did most of the work.

I am constantly amazed when I see people raving about these meters as the BS I have seen with them (including him saying that these were known issues and he has spent countless hours on with tech support people but no avail) I just do not understand why these meters don't get blasted at $400 Pieces of S.....

I would never buy one and now know why the commercial installer I deal with in the area will only use a spectrum analyzer.

Iceberg said:
the eliptical dish is non stacked, not stacked

The first 60e dishes were stacked (external multiswitch)
SC still uses 75e stacked dishes for commercial and MDU accounts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts