Star Network Movies Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Well, now that I am on G10 :up :D I was wondering what everyone thought of the picture quality on StarNet movies? I am just trying to figure out if it is worth $48 with shipping to get a second lnbf and switch to view this? Looking at the sat chart, StarNet looks to be the only only sat I would be interested in watching. Thanks for your comments!

The picture quality of the channel is good, but some of the stuff they show is very old and very grainy. Not to mention very dark, especially the black and white stuff. They also have problems with picture aspect ratio, such as an info commercial with the 800 # below the screen, out of site. But, all in all, I would highly recommend it, it's worth having. Go for it!
I'm sure there is more you would be interested in. GNF movies on IA5 comes to mind. Russia Today, a news channel on IA5. Tele 5, a foreign movie channel with English movies (very low voice) and an annoying narrator repeating in whatever his language very loudly, also on IA5. For the kids there's SOAC (smile of a child), a religious based channel on IA5. And there are so many more, all over the arc.

Al

Larry,

Why not order a SG2100 H-H motor drive instead of an additional LNB and scan the entire arc of satellites? Having just G10R you are missing out on so much.

GNF Movies, PBS, New Orleans ABC and WB, NBC Feed, StarNet, GolTV, NASA, FOX, Black Belt TV, FTV, news and event feeds, etc.

Our family watches FTA 90% of the time and DirecTV 10% of the time. Unlike DirecTV there is something new on everyday on FTA.

I thought about the motor, but between G10 and local, I have all the UPN/WB/Fox, ABC that I can handle :) The foregin stuff is neat to see, but I would never watch it. StarNet is the only other sat I would watch. So for now, for half the price of a motor, I will have what I want covered. BUT....I can see a motor in my future before summer or fall is over :)

I have had the opposite experiance to StarNet. When I was watching it, the picture quality was very poor, and sometimes extremely pixelated. Not all the time though. I have not tuned in that satellite now for a few months, maybe it is time to have a look again. Most of their movies can be found in the $1.00 - $2.00 section of most stores with similar quality video. I have tried viewing GNF, but have not hit it in the proper time. Never a movie, and a lot of times a Rogers of Sportsnet feed with again, less than great quality video. The last time, they were showing a Toronto local sports feed.

Last edited:
PopcornNMore said:
Larry,

Why not order a SG2100 H-H motor drive instead of an additional LNB and scan the entire arc of satellites? Having just G10R you are missing out on so much.

GNF Movies, PBS, New Orleans ABC and WB, NBC Feed, StarNet, GolTV, NASA, FOX, Black Belt TV, FTV, news and event feeds, etc.

Our family watches FTA 90% of the time and DirecTV 10% of the time. Unlike DirecTV there is something new on everyday on FTA.

I totally agree... the motor would be the way to go. The money towards the LNB will be wasted. You can get all the satellites with the motor.

There's more on the other sats than you think..... lots of stuff there just not listed on Lyngsat.

BTW... I bought a QPH-031 for about $55 shipped. An awesome circular and linear LNB all in one package, best purchase! I wish would have bought the QPH-031 from the beginning of my FTA project.

Last edited:
Well I already ordered the lnbf and switch. Will see how that goes. I would suspect that by fall I will have a motor :)

Has anyone found a schedule for the Star Network movies? I couldn't find one on their web site.

Although their picture quality isn't the best, it is the place to listen for Chuck Harder on the second audio channel. I understand Harder is now also back on shortwave.

Tron said:
The "F" in FTA is quite misleading ;)

I am at $350 INCLUDING shipping, AND several 100' runs of coax, a bag of 100 high quality f connectors, a coax tool, some swtiches and other supplies and the 2nd lnbf and switch. We have been paying $100 or so a month for Dish, and having trouble finding something to watch. I cut it back about a month ago to $80/month, but now, as soon as the Sopronos end, I will cut it back to $50 or $60/month. So the FTA will pay for itself real quick!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)