Starband C-band Dish?

phpinfo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
USA
Don't know if anyone has tried this. - Would it work if you attached the Starband LNB to the end of a big C-band dish? Would this help boost the signal?

Just curious. - Really I am just looking for a way to boost the signal so it doesn't always go out when it rains.

I know in Alaska, Starband has bigger dishes for their customers.

It's remotely possible with a solid dish, the mesh style probably wouldn't work at all. But you'd have to do some fancy calculations to get the feed angle and focal distance correct

//greg//

It's remotely possible with a solid dish, the mesh style probably wouldn't work at all. But you'd have to do some fancy calculations to get the feed angle and focal distance correct

//greg//

Yeah, probably wouldn't be worth it. Unless it was a fun project.

I am looking into getting one of the Alaska Starband dishes. - If anyone has any tips on enhancing a Starband signal or rain tips, let me know. Thanks.

Go to Hughes and leave Starband behind. LOL Just joking. Kind of!! Starband needs to step up. I install Hughes, Starband, and Wildblue. If I was choosing I would go with Hughes. It seems to me that it is more stable.

Switched from cluster 51 to cluster 80 and this helped a lot. Boosted the signal from the low 5's to high 7's. It has not gone out from the rain since, and there have been some heavy rains.

The only issue, is on 80 there seems to be a lot of slow periods and a lot of DNS errors. Starband said they are working on the issue, but it might just be they oversold their service.

BUT, I would rather have to deal with slow periods, that not have it on at all. So cluster 80 it is.

Bandwidth throttling on Hughes is minor compared to Wildblue. It is only slowed for a day on Hughes. Wildblue is for thirty days. Dealing with starband just sucks. When I am trying to deal with them they treat you like you are lower on the food chain than them.

Bandwidth throttling on Hughes is minor compared to Wildblue. It is only slowed for a day on Hughes. Wildblue is for thirty days. Dealing with starband just sucks. When I am trying to deal with them they treat you like you are lower on the food chain than them.

Wildblue is the worst service /company there is. They are truly awful. Had nothing but problems with them. - Starband is much better and now that I have switched clusters, it doesn't go out. I just wish there was more than 2gb of bandwidth a week and hope they get the slow issues and DNS errors on cluster 80 fixed soon.

As far a customer service, Starband has been pretty good for me personally.

I have never tried Hughes. This may be next on this list after the Starband contract expires. But like I said, if Starband fixes their issues, there may be no need to switch.

How much bandwidth does Hughes offer? I will have to check on this. - Do they give any deals with DirecTV still?

How much bandwidth does Hughes offer? I will have to check on this. - Do they give any deals with DirecTV still?
HughesNet has a wide variety of packages from which to choose. See Rural High Speed Internet Service - HughesNet Satellite Internet and Satellite High Speed Internet Provider - HughesNet If those are still not enough forya, see Business Solutions | HughesNet

Unless there are some new Spaceway plans that I've not yet come across, the old Direcway "One Dish Solution" days are pretty much behind us. Hopefully there will be an installer or two here that may offer more current info. That said, there may be some legacy parts scattered around storerooms and basements - parts you might use to "do it yourself". Matter of fact, my basement is one of them. But you'll find it hard to find any new internet/tv dish offerings from Hughes anymore. In fact, it's the otherway around now. You can't get DirecTV from HughesNet, but you can get internet access from DirecTV. See DIRECTV: High-Speed Broadband Internet But I'm pretty sure that new customers can pretty much resign themselves to two dishes.

//greg//

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts