starchoice calculation question

icstephen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Canton, Oh
I'm sorry if this sounds stupid but I am trying to find out if this will work for me or not. I am interested in getting a starchoice system. I live north of Atlanta, Georgia and I have alot of trees....I have the true azimuth headings, however I do not know how to convert to magnetic. I am using a compass and think that I can get the sat around the trees but I need to convert from magnetic to true to be sure before I buy. If that does not make sence let me know and I will try to clarify my question.

Thanks in advance
Stephen

just look for a DirecTV elliptical dish in your area. It is pointed @110. The SC elliptical dish points at 111.1 (just to the right of DTV)

Satellite Expert said:
just look for a DirecTV elliptical dish in your area. It is pointed @110. The SC elliptical dish points at 111.1 (just to the right of DTV)

Is 111.1 the secondary satellite? what about Anik F1 @ 107.3 that one is my main concern...or am I totaly off base and confused.

Thanks
stephen

ok here is my calculations...if anyone can tell me if this sounds right

directv main is at 110 deg & Anik F1 is at 107.3 / Anik F2 is at 111.1 according to my directv receiver (I have not confirmed at the dish yet) for my location magnetic is 210 deg. Now I took the direct heading of 210 deg and subtracted 2.7 deg to to put me at 207.3 (F1) deg & 211.1 (F2). The true co-ordinates I have are 217.3 (F1) & 222.2 (F2). Does that sound correct or am I still way off base...sorry if I sound confued it has been along time since I fooled around with anything other than a directv dish and I'm kinda rusty.

Thanks
Stephen

That far south, you are going to want a 75E.. the 60E will probably work, but not overly well... I believe the line where 60Es arent recommended is right about the middle of the country.. so if you are in the southern half, get a 75E, the northern half, get a 60E

Stephen

If you are interested in programming from the main sat F1 at 107.3 only, you may want to go with a 30" round dish as one may be easier to get a hold of. Second sat at 111 has french, ethnic and HD. I was also told that the old primestar dish will work for Starchoice and I see one available for free in the classified section on this site. Good luck.

keithb said:
Stephen

I was also told that the old primestar dish will work for Starchoice and

If you find 2 old Primestar dishes: aim one at F1; other at F2. Connect them together with a Directv 4X8 or 5X8 multiswitch and you have a fully functioning SC dual satellite system on the cheap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts