Starchoice DSR 921 Question Can the 4D use this data.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvropro

On Vacation
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
Im curious about something. Does anyone use a DSR 921 for Starchoice? The reason Im asking this is I'm curious if the maps you get have the Generic satellite tiles.

Also is anyone up to the task with a 4DTV to do a master reset then leaving it on Anik F1R Ku and see if it maps the service and satellite tiles including Generics. I'm looking for an alternative source we can use if we had to do a MR after the 4D info goes away on G1. Time to start getting all our facts together for a plan of attack since things don't look good for getting HITS to map the DSR 920, 922 and 905.

Im curious about something. Does anyone use a DSR 921 for Starchoice? The reason Im asking this is I'm curious if the maps you get have the Generic satellite tiles.

Yes, they do have the Generics. Shaw Direct (new name for StarChoice) will continue to use the 921 after the 4DTV shutdown. I emailed them and they replied
"We’ve confirmed that your 921 model receiver will continue to work with our satellite system."

Yes, they do have the Generics. Shaw Direct (new name for StarChoice) will continue to use the 921 after the 4DTV shutdown. I emailed them and they replied
"We’ve confirmed that your 921 model receiver will continue to work with our satellite system."

Thanks for the input Larry just what I needed to know :). Now we need to know if the U.S. 4DTV can use this info after a master reset to be restored to some state at least to be a dish mover and usable for ITC DC stuff. Any takers to try this with a spare DSR 922 etc?

It also proves my theory that the 4dtv's could be setup in Comcast Hits network. I think we need to get Skyvision to push Motorola and Comcast a bit harder to get this done.

Let let them know how we feel so it don't fall through the political cracks. The time to act is now not next year after shutdown.

Also is anyone up to the task with a 4DTV to do a master reset then leaving it on Anik F1R Ku and see if it maps the service and satellite tiles including Generics. I'm looking for an alternative source we can use if we had to do a MR after the 4D info goes away on G1. Time to start getting all our facts together for a plan of attack since things don't look good for getting HITS to map the DSR 920, 922 and 905.

doing this right now as i type will let ya know my findings.

after the reset i only had 574 channels listed with no

Generic satellite.

doing this right now as i type will let ya know my findings.

after the reset i only had 574 channels listed with no

Generic satellite.

Did you let it sit on Anik F1R Ku and let it map if it can? We may need to force the 4D in manual tuning to see Anik to get the maps.

How did they do that on the 920 when the map info changed to G1 anyone know the trick?

The Anik F1 satellites do not broadcast any generic satellite tables.
The 921 receiver new out of the box needed to go to what is now G-18 to pick up the satellite channel maps (including the generics). Of course those who used it only for Star Choice needed to only point it to F1 for the Canadian maps only.

In 2002 Motorola made a new code for the Star Choice 921 receivers. The nickname for this code was "Killer Code 74" This code made getting the generics and US guide information that you used to get for free obsolete. It rendered the receiver useless as a FTA receiver after receiving that code update. Any 921 receiver that has an earlier code number on it should still be able to pick up
any generic maps that are being sent out on G-18 until the time that the info is shut off.

You might be interested!!

Date Posted: 202000-14-7 5:41:00
Body: StarChoice does not carry the 4DTV datastream. I think HITS only carried it on one transponder. I'm not sure which one, but it was the one with channel 401 on it. Perhaps someone near their 4DTV can provide details on the transponder and frequency. If you get the frequncy, you can manually move the dish to XB, use Options-6-778-1 to manually tune in the frequency and get a DC lock. If the datastream is there, you will download the maps. You can perform this same procedure for any DC signal on C or Ku-band as long as you know the frequency. BTW, don't expect to get any video using this manual tune screen.

"From: SATSTAR -(SATSTAR) TO: Mark
Date Posted: 202000-15-7 11:57:00
Body: StarChoice does not carry the 4DTV datastream. I think HITS only carried it on one transponder. I'm not sure which one, but it was the one with channel 401 on it. Perhaps someone near their 4DTV can provide details on the transponder and frequency. If you get the frequncy, you can manually move the dish to XB, use Options-6-778-1 to manually tune in the frequency and get a DC lock. If the datastream is there, you will download the maps. You can perform this same procedure for any DC signal on C or Ku-band as long as you know the frequency. BTW, don't expect to get any video using this manual tune screen.
Ok I got my satellites back, this is what I did...I searched the frequency for channel 401 on X4 and on the net and it was 1150 then I checked which channel had that frequency on the A2 channel map and 501 matched it, so I parked my 30" dish on X4 tuned channel 501 on the A2 map I had, hit guide and enter left "ON" there for the rest of the night....This morning I have channel count 4543 and all satellites maps.
Thank you Mark for your valuable help. "

From a site I stumbled upon while doing the same as you;but trying to determine whether to persue 4DTV.I have no way to know if it is valad.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)