StarChoice Step #2 Installation Questions

HDTVFanAtic said:
Diagnostic codes will work after activation.

The time is like Dish in that it is set by SC when they activate the unit depending on where the unit is "located".
Excellent, so it looks like I'm ready to go, I was concerned about the menu access and because I can't tell if both sats are being received or not, but from what's been said here, I must be okay.

Between the 2 of us, I cannot believe the amount of issues :(

I just plugged in another DSR-405. I move the RG6 from the first 405 to the second 405 and go to 299. I cannot keep a picture on the screen. Diagnostics shows that I am around a +6.2 on 299, yet on the other DSR with the same feed I am at a +7.5. :confused:

So the wierd thing is I cannot keep a signal without breaking up on this and other SD channels with a +6.2, yet on the HD channels with a +6.2 through the HD201 I have no breakup or issues :confused: :confused: :confused:

To top it off, on some other SD channels I am showing a +3.5 and I have a solid video signal :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I feel like I am in satellite hell.

Don't I have to be on 299 to get a rehit from SC or can I be on 284?

Last edited:
If you're asking me, I haven't got a clue, of the three or four "free" channels I'm getting(STB not authorized yet) everything looks fine, getting signal readings of 85 or better and Ecb/no of over 10.

What exactly is this ECB number supposed to indicate?

I have some channels I show a 0 zero signal strength and some I show a 70 signal strength on - yet both channels have a +7.5 ECB - and clearly I cannot receive the one with zero signal strength.

Iceberg said:
s

I use the ebno #...options 6-0-5 right arrow to Diagonstic C screen. There is a + - number in the right corner
+5 is minimum
+7.5 is awesome
Is this button press sequence supposed to work with the DSR505 as well? It doesn't appear to...

I have setup the 75 cm, dual lnb with DSR505. No authorization yet. I get the channel list except for HD and french. I have 85 signal strength. I can watch a few preview channels, like 200. I used a skew of 78. Prior to activation, is there any chance that I would know if I have the skew correct?......thanks

Keenan,
so i used kusat's calculations originally.....how do I use these?

Do I enter in Anik F1 and use the negative polarization (-18)???/....thanks

On that site, use Anik E2 @ 111.1.

The skew number you get will be xx.x amount less than the 90 position on the dish. For example, with the dish set horizontal, the 90 position will be right at the mark. Twist the dish counterclockwise(viewing from the rear) until you reach xx.x less than the 90 mark. Mine setting is 76, yours should be very close.

Iceberg does a better job explaining in some earlier posts, you should check them out. It may sound a bit confusing but it's really rather straightforward.

As far as azimuth, aim with the center LNB and the other will fall into place when you have the right skew.

What zipcode are you at?

Last edited:

Keenan....I also have the 505.....how do you check the signal on the Anik E2? I only can see the "A4" satellite at a strength of 85, and EcB of 10.5

keenan,
what strength and EcB do you have on the HD/French channels after you activated your system? This would help me figure out if I will need to tweak my skew after activation.....

I think I had about the same readings pre-activation, just get it activated and see if you're missing anything, you can always adjust it.

Once I had a grasp on the variables, it was probably the least troublesome installation I've done, my first shot at aiming was spot on, in fact, all I've done is tighten it up.

Last edited:
keenan,
I get all my channels just fine.

On NBC-HD east, I had a signal strength of 66 and EdbNo of 8.4. Are those similar to yours? I apologize for asking such detailed questions but I'm a psycho when it comes to getting everything just right.

Right this minute I'm getting 66 and 7.4 and the picture/audio is fine. I might be able to get better numbers as I haven't tweaked the dish since I installed it, but unless I have problems I'm just leaving it for now.

Glad to hear you got it dialed in BTW. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)