StarChoice Step #2 Installation Questions

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
I know I seen some of these nuggets in here but cannot locate them now. If someone could point me in the right direction or give me a response, it would be appreciated.

1) Is Anik F1 at 107.3W the primary satellite for *C such as 101W is for D* and 119W is for E*?

2) Are the HD channels only on Anik F2 as Lyngsat seems to indicate?

3) Can you run a SC STB only on F2 or only on F1?

4) What are the channel numbers on is supposed to tune to during installation (in the upper 200s if memory is correct)? I believe one is if the STB has ever been authorized on the system and another if it has never been authorized?

Thanks

On a side note to #3, I have an lnb supposedly pointed at F1 now and I can see a signal with an Accutrack, but I see no signal strength when I connect it to the STB. Thus I am wondering do I need both or possibly F2 is the core bird? Or maybe I am seeing a signal from Echostar X?

1) It doesn't matter if you look at F1R or F2 with a single LNBF dish. Both satellites have channel maps etc. There are different channel maps for single vs elliptical and stacked vs non stacked LNBFs

2) F2 has HD, French, ethics, some PPV and a few English channels

3) Yes you can - with the correct channel maps

4) 299 if previously authorized. 255 or 284 for new receivers (depends on model)

If you are seeing E 10, you have the wrong LNBF. E10 is DBS SC is ku. F1R has no unencrypted Ku transponders - 30 are DCII, the other 2 are 4:2:2

Satellite Expert said:
1) It doesn't matter if you look at F1R or F2 with a single LNBF dish. Both satellites have channel maps etc. There are different channel maps for single vs elliptical and stacked vs non stacked LNBFs

2) F2 has HD, French, ethics, some PPV and a few English channels

3) Yes you can - with the correct channel maps

4) 299 if previously authorized. 255 or 284 for new receivers (depends on model)

If you are seeing E 10, you have the wrong LNBF. E10 is DBS SC is ku. F1R has no unencrypted Ku transponders - 30 are DCII, the other 2 are 4:2:2

Thanks.

I know I have the right lnbf. I made sure of that when I ordered it and Iceberg pointed me in the right direction months ago.

I have a strong signal on an Accutrac meter, but that only shows signal, not which bird. I have plugged in a stb and it is on the startup searching for a signal but not finding one. Thus, I can't get a signal to get to 299 or any channel.

That's why I am wondering if the new Echostar X (a little over 2 degrees to the other side) has something on it that something on it that is giving me a signal level on the Accutrac that isnt the right bird.

Thoughts?

1) Is Anik F1 at 107.3W the primary satellite for *C such as 101W is for D* and 119W is for E*?
correct

2) Are the HD channels only on Anik F2 as Lyngsat seems to indicate?
Yes

3) Can you run a SC STB only on F2 or only on F1?
Yes. There are some French only subscribers who have a single dish pointed at F2

4) What are the channel numbers on is supposed to tune to during installation (in the upper 200s if memory is correct)? I believe one is if the STB has ever been authorized on the system and another if it has never been authorized?
284 if a Virgin (or you master reset it)
299 otherwise

Hmmmm....Iceberg. I know I am in the right neighborhood with the right lnb - as I have a Toroidal its going to be on the same arc. The lnb is pushed right up against the 110 E* lnb as it will go (with its 2-3 degree spacing) and clearly have a signal on the Accutrac meter. Yet I am not seeing anything at the STB.

Could the signal be from 110? If I can make this work, I'd rather do it this way than put up yet another dish.

what satellite are you trying to get? 107 or 111?

KU has to be bang on or it won't work since its lower powered.

Iceberg said:
what satellite are you trying to get? 107 or 111?

KU has to be bang on or it won't work since its lower powered.

Again, I have a strong signal on the accurtrac meter, so i think I'm dead on.

Its on the arc on the Torodial and right up against the 110lnb, so with 2-3 degree spacing, its right where it should be at 107.

Want to test that before I move to 111.

If you think you're dead on, hook it to the reciever

turn to 284 (if new) or 299....satellite light on front should be green. Then you are on 107.3

ok...figured out what is going on.

The Disceq switch that I purchased from Sadoun is dead as a doornail.

I get a good signal on the Accutrac22 coming out of the lnb and connected that to the switch and then to the RG6 into the house. Connected to the stb inside the house and no signal.

Did what I should have done 2 days ago....put the Accuctrac on the STB feed and I get no signal there either.

Went to the roof and put a small patch cord to the Sadoun switch into the Accutrac. No signal either.

So I put a barrell connector in and remove the switch. Surprise, Surprise....I have a signal in the house.

I assume there is no equivilant to "check switch" that I am overlooking here and it is the switch that is dead?

Also, the STB says A4. If it's Anik F1, why would it show A4?
EDIT - Still curious, but the Guide is showing the channels so clearly I am on the right Bird - again, why does it call it A4?

Finally, what is a good reasonable signal on F1/F2 where you are up near the border? Anyone know what a reasonable signal is in Florida on the Motorola 400 series 100 point scale?

Last edited:
A4 is the satellite SC calls it...why? I don't know

You can't use a Diseqc switch with a Starchocie setup. You can use a 22k switch but not a Diseqc.

HDTVFanAtic said:
why does it call it A4?

It has nothing to do with the name of the satellite. A4 is merely the DC II designator that Motorola gave for that Ku position in the sky. It tells the receiver to download the SC channel maps broadcast at 107.3

Initially it stood for the the ku portion of Anik E1.

Last edited:
Iceberg said:
this is a 22k switch
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/S/S-SM21H-2-way-switch.htm

It has to say 22k and 0k or something of the nature

Yep...that's what I ordered.....the one they sent isn't shown there.

NICE!!!!!!

Guess I should have checked it 9 months ago :(

I wonder what the one I was sent was good for.

Another piece for the junk box!

Can I use a Terk Directv Multiswitch? IIRC, that is 22khz for 101/119 and I removed it from service this past weekend.

Also, what is a good signal for SC birds? What is a marginal signal for SC birds? Where does it go down the drain?

Last edited:
HDTVFanAtic said:
Yep...that's what I ordered.....the one they sent isn't shown there.

NICE!!!!!!

Guess I should have checked it 9 months ago :(

I wonder what the one I was sent was good for.
so did they send you a Diseqc switch? That works for free to air boxes

Can I use a Terk Directv Multiswitch? IIRC, that is 22khz for 101/119 and I removed it from service this past weekend.
yep that will work. you would need to hook up both lines from each LNB (4 total) to the switch. 107 would be on the 0k side and 111 would be the 22k side

Also, what is a good signal for SC birds? What is a marginal signal for SC birds? Where does it go down the drain?
I know my signal can be down to a 30 and still be there.

I use the ebno #...options 6-0-5 right arrow to Diagonstic C screen. There is a + - number in the right corner
+5 is minimum
+7.5 is awesome

Iceberg said:
so did they send you a Diseqc switch? That works for free to air boxes

yep that will work. you would need to hook up both lines from each LNB (4 total) to the switch. 107 would be on the 0k side and 111 would be the 22k side

I know my signal can be down to a 30 and still be there.

I use the ebno #...options 6-0-5 right arrow to Diagonstic C screen. There is a + - number in the right corner
+5 is minimum
+7.5 is awesome

Hmmm..... the Motorola/GI 4xx series has a 1-100 scale. I would think the 5xx series probably does as well.

yes they do. But you cant bank how much signal you have on just the signal meter. I know on mine the signal bar is at about 80

HDTVFanAtic said:
Yes you can - the dual LNBF DTV multiswitch models are OK for SC service. The HD DTV switches aren't.

It's the EcBn number that is the important. To reach it on 4XX receivers: Options 6-0-5 You will see Diagnostics A screen. Use > button to get to Diagnostics C screen. On the top right is the ch #. Directly below it is the EcBn - it has + sign in front. Minimum +2.5 to lock signal. I get +8.9 to +11.3 depending on transponder; but I am near border

Secret Menus!!!!!

0 isn't listed as an option. And more numbers to look at!

I am sorry I am sounding like such a n00b on SC. I thought I had asked all the right questions along the way and most likely if they had sent me the right switch, I would have never had to start this thread....but such is life.

Looks like I have some tweaking to do, but at least i am now in the right direction. I'll probably get it tweaked and have a hurricane blow through in a month and misalign it, lol.

BTW, if anyone Florida would bother telling me what they get in terms of signal, I would be interested in knowing so I can see how far off optimum I am.

Thanks!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)