Starchoice - the right choice?

thewillager

Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
I have been doing my reading, and think I am going to get Starchoice rather than ExpressVu. But before I send for the system I would like some comments on my selection.

Requirement 1. Major US Networks in HD
I live in a rural area of the US and getting High Def channels over the air is not an option. However I live close enough to a DirecTv and Dish market that I am not eligable for national High Def major network feeds. I would really like to get the major US networks in HD. If I have read correctly, with Starchoice I will be able to get HD feeds of ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS and FOX. Question, Will I get either an East Coast or West Coast HD feed, but not both?

Requirement 2.
Coronation Street for the wife and Red Green and Call for Help (G4TTV) for me.

Thanks

The Starchoice HD channels are compilation channels (at least they are currently), there is only one regional version of each channel, the only one with an East and West version is the Movie Central and The Movie Channel ones, which you will only get TMN East of Manatoba, and MC West of it.

For current HD programming schedules, goto http://www.starchoice.com/english/whatsontv/latestHDListing.asp

Call for Help is available on G4 Canada, but Coronation Street.. I am unfamilear with this program, what is it on?

In answer to question 1:

284 is Fox HD Detroit/Seattle
286 is NBC HD Buffalo/Seattle
287 is ABC HD Detroit/Seattle
288 is CBS HD Detroit/Seattle

In 27 days who knows what the line up will be except each American service will be 24/7:
289 will be PBS Detroit
US HD nets from Detroit/Buffalo will be there, Seattle - they haven't said yet.

ultatryon said:
Call for Help is available on G4 Canada, but Coronation Street.. I am unfamilear with this program, what is it on?

Coronation Street is on 6 days a week on the CBC affiliates.

and Red Green is on 5 days a week
12:30 "local" time on CBC daily (local meaning location, so you can see the same show 5 times)
2:30 monday on PGTV (Price George TV)
during the new season, Friday nights

also, Comedy Network has it on 5 times a week too

[In 27 days who knows what the line up will be except each American service will be 24/7:
289 will be PBS Detroit
US HD nets from Detroit/Buffalo will be there, Seattle - they haven't said yet.[/QUOTE]

Can I ask whether we know for sure that there will continue to be Eastern time zone HD US network feeds after the adjustments, or are we assuming? Thanks.

jose44 said:
Can I ask whether we know for sure that there will continue to be Eastern time zone HD US network feeds after the adjustments, or are we assuming? Thanks.

Yes they WILL be there!
All from Detroit except NBC from Buffalo

The 8 channels for sure are:
4 US Nets + PBS
Rogers Sportsnet
Movie Central
TMN

the other 1 (& perhaps 2) are not finalized... but expect CITY HD (& perhaps CBC HD now)

With the CRTC tossing out the Omnibus HD channels, it'll be interesting to see what StarChoice will do, as they're not allowed to favor American HD networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS) over Canadian ones (CTV, CBC, SRC, Global) and they are under a bandwidth constraint. Where will the bandwidth come from to add CTV-HD, CBC-HD, Global-HD, SRC-HD? From ABC-HD, CBS-HD, NBC-HD, Fox-HD, etc...??

The CRTC is NOT mandating SC to offer Canadian HD over American. They used the word "should" in every sentence on this subject in their ruling. Obviously they are well aware that Canadian OTA networks (except CBC) have done diddly squat in producing Canadian made HD (CTV's joke 4:3 "HD" aside)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)