Starz / Cinemax HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Hmm, interesting. About when did he say it? I know many people here have that chat recorded, maybe someone can elighten us on it if you can provide an approximate time in the chat.

Just went back to review the Charlie Chat recording. With about 25 minutes left in the show, Jim and Charlie were talking about what we will get with the Platinum HD package. At the end of that discussion, Jim said Cinemax HD and Encore HD, as well. There was no mention of Starz HD at that point.

Last edited:
rdinkel said:
Just went back to review the Charlie Chat recording. With about 25 minutes left in the show, Jim and Charlie were talking about what we will get with the Platinum HD package. At the end of that discussion, Jim said Cinemax HD and Encore HD, as well. There was no Mention of Starz HD at that point.

I thought he said Starz then Cinemax. Why ARE we so giddy about this anyway? I think we all would rather have 5 movie HD channels for the same price as a suite of premium channels like HBO, Showtime and Starz. I would pay $15 for that and Mark Cuban could make out on that.

Last edited:
Sarang said:
I thought he said Starz then Cinemax. Why ARE we so giddy about this anyway? I think we all would rather have 5 movie HD channels for the same price as a suite of premium channels like HBO, Showtime and Starz. I would pay $15 for that and Mark Cuban could make out on that.

Yeah, I would love to have just a suite of HD premiums, one or 2 of each maybe 8 total for $10-$15

Sarang said:

But the point is, 95% of "Hollywood" movies make their TV premiere on either HBO, Showtime, or Starz. And they have exclusive rights. Then the HBO movies trickle to Cinemax, Showtime to TMC, and Starz to Encore. Cuban could put up a suite, and that would be great, but he doesn't own the rights to premiere anything new. Eventually, I would expect him to start putting in bids for exclusive rights, and then I would expect him to expand his movie channel offerings. But he doesn't have the programming right now.

Personally, if given a choice, I'd rather have Cinemax, TMC, and Encore than the other three, because they all have more variety. You get the "big" movies a month or two after they premiere, and more variety of older movies. But then you don't get the series and specials from HBO and Showtime.

I realize that many say Starz had a lot of upconverts, but maybe they'd try harder if they had more carriage. The point is, I'm betting most of the premiere stuff was in HD, and that's really the only reason I would prefer to add Starz HD. I've found that while I rarely watch any of the Showtime or HBO SD channels anymore, I still watch Starz SD quite a bit, because they have a lot of premieres that aren't being shown in HD anywhere.

M Sparks said:
But the point is, 95% of "Hollywood" movies make their TV premiere on either HBO, Showtime, or Starz. And they have exclusive rights. Then the HBO movies trickle to Cinemax, Showtime to TMC, and Starz to Encore. Cuban could put up a suite, and that would be great, but he doesn't own the rights to premiere anything new. Eventually, I would expect him to start putting in bids for exclusive rights, and then I would expect him to expand his movie channel offerings. But he doesn't have the programming right now.

Personally, if given a choice, I'd rather have Cinemax, TMC, and Encore than the other three, because they all have more variety. You get the "big" movies a month or two after they premiere, and more variety of older movies. But then you don't get the series and specials from HBO and Showtime.

I realize that many say Starz had a lot of upconverts, but maybe they'd try harder if they had more carriage. The point is, I'm betting most of the premiere stuff was in HD, and that's really the only reason I would prefer to add Starz HD. I've found that while I rarely watch any of the Showtime or HBO SD channels anymore, I still watch Starz SD quite a bit, because they have a lot of premieres that aren't being shown in HD anywhere.

Yes but overall they halfass it and make NO attempt to make their movies look as good as HDNet Movies. Part of it is Dish and the other may be HBO and Showtime themselves. Anyway, if they did I might be slightly less bitter but I still re-iterate we're getting screwed getting one channel of HD per movie package, at least carry the others in 480p and OAR or even just OAR because there is far too much P&S on the movie channels as is. Also this bit is second but for CRYING out loud can these movie channels and others at least use the freaking SAP?! It's there for a reason.
Also only TMC and Encore are directly second tier movie channels in comparison, since Cinemax DOES get some movies before HBO.
I mention this because Mark has the opportunity to get his foot in the door for premium channels by being the FIRST to offer a suite of movie channels completely in HD and in the process he may cut one of them out which I could care less about if it was Starz. Not saying I hate Starz but if Mark's HD movie channels were to replace one I'd prefer them most. I don't know if the market can handle a continuous set of four premium packages.

So why...

So if Voom had TMC HD, Cinemax HD, Starz HD, Encore HD then why does dish not have them? Dish has the SD feed so why not the HD feed?

Any word on the Starz hd? I heard that Dish and Starz were negotiating there contract and that would make sence as we originally sy Starz HD o the Dish HD website.

Apparently it was mentioned on the same chat that said mpeg4 was a year off and spoke of EncoreHD - even though that shut down a year ago :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts