Starz HD HGTV HD NATGEO HD Uplinked!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Tom Bombadil said:
I don't think he is talking about the old HD pak and an old MPEG2 receiver. My read is that he has a new 211 or 622 and the standalone HD pack, that Dish charges $30/month, plus another $6/month enabling fee. So he'll be paying $36 a month for HD and still not get Nat Geo.

To get Nat Geo HD, he would have to upgrade all the way to HD Gold, at $70/month.

That is, if Dish decides to do the same thing with Nat Geo HD as they are doing with OLN HD.
Exactly. The most of the reason I bought the 622 was so that I didn't have to subscribe to the SD packs and still get the new HD mpeg-4 HD channels. And now they're making it so that I can't get the new mpeg-4 HD channels without having the stupid SD packages. :mad: I'm sorry, but that pi$$es me off.

In fact, I'm paying more per month with the new HD pack than I was with the old HD Pack for the sole purpose/previledge of getting the new mpeg-4 channels. So far, that equates to ESPN2-HD (if you can even call it that - I haven't seen anything in HD on ESPN2HD yet) and Universal HD (How much Quantum Leap can a man watch?).

I wouldn't get my panties in a wad, yet. We don't know what requirements there will be to get these new channels. It's exciting to know they're uplinked, but don't complain about who's getting what until Dish announces they're available! I expect all 3 non-movie channels to be in all HD packages (with Starz HD in the Starz package). But I could be wrong!

I could be wrong, but that HD channel is not OLN HD it's NHLHD. The only OLN programs in HD is hockey. This is just like the NBAHD channel. You have to subscribe to the "All Most Everything pack" or the sports package to get it. Nat Geo still maybe in the HD package.

Yes, I've had an "if" in all of my posts on this.

But the decision on OLN / NHL HD is troubling. To get it you must have OLN SD, which requires AT180, which is in HD Gold and HD Platinum.

Likewise one only gets Nat Geo SD with AT180.

Let's hope they don't go down this route just yet. I think it is inevitable that they do this at some point, because more and more SD channels will have a HD equivalent. So Dish will have to have HD tiers.

Yeah I think that if your on the new HD Plans which means that you have one of the MPEG4 Receivers. That any new HD Channels that come out you would get except for ones like HBO or Showtime and probally Starz.. I think I recall on the Charlie Chat when they talked about the new MPEG4 recievers and the new HD Plans. That any new HD Channels that came out folks would get these without any other cost. So I can imagine them chargeing folks that are on the new plans to get any of the new HD Channels comeing out. Mainly due to folks are already paying more to get on the new plans plus they just had a rate increase on top of that. If they do make folks pay more that could hurt them and could loose more customers. Right now is not a good time to make folks mad and on top of that Echostar got money alread going out the door with all the legal problems they are haveing. So it would not be a good time to upset your customers..

Yes right now some channels you half to have the SD channel but on the new plans I think it might not be that way. Either way what is on the SD channel is not always going to be the samething on the HD Channel. Some networks show two diffrent types of programing on their SD Channel compaired to their HD..

Tom Bombadil said:
The only exception to this, for some odd reason, is that OLN / NHL HD appears to be available in MPEG2. Perhaps this is an Olympic-type exception, with the older receivers only getting this channel for the NHL playoffs.

OLN is only in HD for hockey at this time. On Comcast systems, the games are carried on InHD1. Also, the channel is only available to subs who get OLN-SD in their packages.

when?

When will I be able to see the new channels on my 622? Am I missing something? I have the HD silver package.

samgovol said:
When will I be able to see the new channels on my 622? Am I missing something? I have the HD silver package.
Uplinked does NOT mean available.
It means they are preparing to sat space & testing prior to actual availability to customers.
Elsewhere in this thread is info ~6/1/06 give or take.

Tom Bombadil said:
Yes, I've had an "if" in all of my posts on this.

But the decision on OLN / NHL HD is troubling. To get it you must have OLN SD, which requires AT180, which is in HD Gold and HD Platinum.

Likewise one only gets Nat Geo SD with AT180.

Let's hope they don't go down this route just yet. I think it is inevitable that they do this at some point, because more and more SD channels will have a HD equivalent. So Dish will have to have HD tiers.

The situations are not comparable. National Geographic HD is a totally separate channel.

Heck, OLN didn't want to give NHL games to people who DID subscribe! Why would you expect them to just give them away to non-subscribers? ;)

Plus there are all sorts of other issues when it comes to pro-sports rights. Look at Sunday Ticket and the other sports packages. The leagues apparently retain the rights to sell games to people outside the local markets, even though the networks or RSNs are actually producing the video content.

Things may change in the future, but for now, the only HD & SD channels that are tied together as far as fee structure goes is the Premiums.

So Marc, you are expecting Nat Geo HD to be made available to all HD subs, even if they have HD Bronze or HD Silver? I think one can make a good case for this and hope they do it.

Same with Cox Cable

"OLN is only in HD for hockey at this time. On Comcast systems, the games are carried on InHD1. Also, the channel is only available to subs who get OLN-SD in their packages"

This HD quality sure does look good. I have both Cable and Dish right now comparing picture quality every day as I go.

I read somewhere that NGHD has the same programing as NG, so it seems they might only give it to subscribers who currently receive NG. Obviously this is just speculation and what Mark says makes a good deal of sense and I hope it is what happens(of course dish doing what makes sense is no given).
Patrick

Minsk1 said:
Did yoy ever had Voom to make such statements? It is not horrendous. It is very decent. Can be better and I hope will be better. Voom soccer PQ broadcasts beat Espn2 soccer Champions League final in HD.
HBO, Uni HD is in full res on Dish, it just can't be worse than on Comcast.
As for comparing SA 8300HD to 622. How you can compare that garbage 8300 to my perfect 622:D
Yes I have VOOM right now. As for comparison, the 8300HD does not have as many fuctions as the 622 but it's a stable recorder. I do not get sync problems, sound dropouts, popping, etc. etc.

As for picture quality, I have a Pioneer ProHD 61" tv that cost me $15K a year ago, I can simply compare the images from Dish and Comcast, Comcast is better. I am not the only person who thinks this way.

Brian

bkushner said:
As for picture quality, I have a Pioneer ProHD 61" tv that cost me $15K a year ago, I can simply compare the images from Dish and Comcast, Comcast is better. I am not the only person who thinks this way.

Brian

Another example against hd-lite.... When the cable companies start kicking E*'s and D*'s PQ things will change...:mad:

I was down at Bernie's Electronics the other day and they had the NBA playoffs on TNTHD over Comcast and it WAY better looking than Dish

M Sparks said:
The situations are not comparable. National Geographic HD is a totally separate channel.
National Geographic HD is a simulcast of the SD channel. NG has been producing programs -- but not broadcasting -- in HD for over a year, so they've built up a base of HD programs in the can, so to speak.

Bad TV at home maybe? I had both for a while and TNT HD definitely looked the same via both my hdtv's one of which has been calibrated by an ISF certified dealer. Need to get Gregg out sometime in the near future for my new baby. I've seen his work and it is unbelievable!!!:)

Tom Bombadil said:
TNTHD from Comcast must be fantastic, because the NBA games on that channels are extremely sharp from Dish. Some of the best HD I've ever seen.

You must be the only one who doesnt notice the horrible pixilating/blocking that occurs watching basketball on TNT HD. There have been a number of threads disscussing this very topic. Makes it hard for me to watch on my 51 inch. ESPN HD on the other hand is very nice.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)