Starz losing subs battle with Ergen looms

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This will be a non starter. Starz price will either go down to $10 ($5 half off) or join Encore in AT250.

Most likely will join AT250 so their subscriber count can see a bump

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No way!
I see Dish dropping the suite of Starz before adding it to the top 250.
DISH already never advertises they even carry Starz.
You have to hunt for it.
They don't even list it under their premium offering, unless you are logged into your account, or print a channel list.

Last edited:
Here's the problem for Starz, HBO is $10, Starz is not in the same league as HBO so they need to be less than $10 if they have a chance of attracting more subscribers than they have. The movie companies they get movies from is not as many as HBO or Showtime has either. Given that, I can see them dropping from being a premium movie package to being more like Epix.
As a guess DISH will want them to be less than HBO, would be willing to offer their channels for something like $6. I don't know that Starz would allow their product to be included in a package unless they have given up being a premium selection.

No way!
You have to hunt for it.
They don't even list it under their premium offering, unless you are logged into your account, or print a channel list.
They did that with Showtime earlier this year when they were in a spat with CBS. I think they did the same thing with HBO and Cinemax when they were in a spat over the Time/Turner channels.

No way!
You have to hunt for it.
I have seen a couple commercials a day the past week about Starz and to call and get it for half off for six months.

Actually the Starz pack on dish is only worth about $6 or $7 anyway, since it only has Half the channels that are included in most everyone else's Starz super pack.
Everyone else includes the Entire Encore Suite for $14

Reactions: fhsucade07
Doesn't DISH have just about the same number of Starz and Encore as Directv?

Proves what I've been saying for a few years now. The premium movie packs are over priced and they should all get reduced in price. The premium channels are all running for 1/2 price and Hbo is now $10.00 instead of $19.00. I haven't paid full price for any of the premium movie packs for years now. If I can't get it discounted or even FREE for three months , I don't subscribe at all. IF the premium movie packs didn't have original series to watch, there wouldn't be any subs at all. The movies they show are all old and been shown over and over, ad nauseum. After the collapse of the Premium movie packs ,the next thing to go will be over priced sports premiums. Then the last to go with be the bundled programming packs. They are all over priced and show nothing but reruns, reality crap and little to no original programming. The days of the traditional cable/sat bundle are numbered. tick... tock.... tick.... tock....

Doesn't DISH have just about the same number of Starz and Encore as Directv?
Yes and No

Dish you have to either subscribe to the Top 250 and Starz in order to get them all.
Or you have to subscribe to the Encore pack, and Starz pack.
Well Top 250 is $10 over Top 200, but yes in all fairness it does include a fair amount of other channels.
But if Starz and Encore is what your after and you have the Top 200, you are going to spend $20 extra.
When you really should only have to pay $14.
But it is nice that Dish offers Encore as a Stand alone pack, But they Shouldn't Charge $14 extra for Starz.

Directv has and includes the Entire suite for $14.
As does every other provider in my area.

uploadfromtaptalk1446434426357.png
uploadfromtaptalk1446434431558.png
uploadfromtaptalk1446434439698.png

DISH indeed should charge less than the $14 I agree. Both DISH and Direct should charge less than the $14 for those who get the packages that have the Encore channels in them already. For those that get the Encore pack add on, they too should be paying less than the $14. Apparently $6 less.

DISH indeed should charge less than the $14 I agree. Both DISH and Direct should charge less than the $14 for those who get the packages that have the Encore channels in them already. For those that get the Encore pack add on, they too should be paying less than the $14. Apparently $6 less.
Agree, that's why I took a $7 offer.
Otherwise I wouldn't subscribe to Starz at all.
And acually I maybe even cancel that offer because The Movie pack allows Starz on Demand and I'm hoping for a $5 movie pack offer.

You're clearly drinking tainted Kool Aide.

DISH does Starz insert ads in several channels I watch.

It is also listed, albeit at the bottom, along with HBO, Max and Showtime on their Premium Packages page on the DISH website.

The junk mail flyers list Starz.

I'm not sure what more anyone could expect.

Starz and Encore had been missing from the Premium Package Marketplace (channel 298) for several months, but now they are listed there again. I had taken that as a sign that Dish had a new deal with Starz, or was close to a deal, since Dish did the same thing to HBO and Cinemax before they reached their new deal.

Reactions: Troch77
This is a result of pressure from things like Netflix. HBO can still command premium pricing and keep up with subscriber counts because they have great original programming. These movie channels that are mostly just old movies and don't have a lot or any original programming are about to fall off a cliff.

I'd rather pay $20-30 for an expanded Netflix back catalog than pay for all of these "premium" movie channels, simply based on the fact that with Netflix I can watch when I want. Appointment TV has left movies behind

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts