State of Texas increasing taxes on satellite?????

62 cents appeared on my bill as TX State Surcharge. So, Dish is not really calling it a tax. It would be better for a company like Dish to put an explanation of what a new tax/fee/surcharge is on a bill. It might just help them improve customer relations rather than just sticking something that looks like a made up fee on the bill.

Mike my online statement dosen't even have that statement I have had to rely on CSRs for my information and they have not explained any more than a surcharge, I suspect it is just more poor training by DISH. TX State Surcharge as a description could be the same as the $1 fee added to Washington accounts just to pad DISH'S income.

Yea, even a quick "per HR bill number blah de blah" would go a long way for people that like to account for every penny.

You don't know how much time and grief that wording saves me. There is a State House Bill that allows municipalities to recover their admin costs in addition to actual damages and I put that line item wording "Fee Per House Bill xxxx" on all my claims. No more calls asking what is this.

Untitled.jpg
Mike my online statement dosen't even have that statement I have had to rely on CSRs for my information and they have not explained any more than a surcharge, I suspect it is just more poor training by DISH. TX State Surcharge as a description could be the same as the $1 fee added to Washington accounts just to pad DISH'S income.

It was on the PDF version of my bill.

Bill Period 07/01/12 - 07/31/12
Jul 01 - Jul 31 Monthly Charges
America's Top 250 69.99
Blockbuster@Home 10.00
HD 250 10.00
Protection Plan 7.00
Solo Receiver 7.00
Solo Receiver 7.00
5 Superstations 7.00
DVR Service 6.00
OH State Surcharge 0.20
$124.19
Jun 16 State/Local Tax (Sales) 7.14
Bill Period 07/01/12 - 07/31/12 $131.33

This ohio state surcharge is something new on my bill for july, first time ive seen that on my bill

A $1.00 surcharge was added starting on the May 1st bill for Washington state subs. It sure would be nice if Dish would explain exactly why they have started doing this, instead of it just showing up on the bill. I also pay $1.53 in state/local taxes every month.

Not the best tax rates, it's what is not taxed, and the Homestead act. No income tax, no tax on vehicles. If your primary residence, A percentage of real estate taxes is exempt. Most everything costs less in Florida except insurance, and the income is much less also. It's why it is financially advantageous to move there in retirement.
Also, you can't lose your home in a lawsuit.

Last edited:
??? But, the state sales tax is like 6.5% or something like that.

you guys pay a Communications Service Tax? and if so how much? i pay a minimum of $7.79. the sales tax about a $1.20. i see other tax charges. next to each service charge there's a separate column for tax. i have the following charges under that column. $8.43, $1.32 , $.42, $.42, $.56,$.21 . this is for directv. when you add it all up it matches the balance owed. so on a $90.36 monthly bill, $20.36 of it is in tax fees.

Last edited:
PATECO said:
You guys need to stop complaining, and count your blessings. We Floridians have been paying 13.17% since 2005.

Florida Dept of State Website

I would pay 13.17% all day long because you have super super super low car tax and no income tax.

Not the best tax rates, it's what is not taxed, and the Homestead act. No income tax, no tax on vehicles. If your primary residence, A percentage of real estate taxes is exempt. Most everything costs less in Florida except insurance, and the income is much less also. It's why it is financially advantageous to move there in retirement.
Also, you can't lose your home in a lawsuit.
If they could only do something about the unbearable heat and humidity, it would be paradise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts