State of Texas increasing taxes on satellite?????

I don't know 66 center times how man subscribers they have in Texas is a lot of money.

Maybe its a Team Summit tax since they will be having Team Summit next year in Texas. :D
Have they changed the financing on Team Summit? When I attended the dealers were charged part of the fee, seems like I remember a couple hundered per person. Are the consumers now going to pay the dealer portion.

Yes I believe it could be several million dollars in only a few months for doing nothing except delivering their signal. What a rip off.

I don't know 66 center times how man subscribers they have in Texas is a lot of money.

Maybe its a Team Summit tax since they will be having Team Summit next year in Texas. :D

Exactly, it adds up fast. A while back some business were caught that were just outside city limits, but charging 8.25% tax instead of 6.25%. Turned out, some dirty politicians were splitting that extra 2% with the business owners. It was a lot of money over several years.

boba, I hope you follow up on this with Dish and get a better answer. Ask them to direct you to where you can see this surcharge, tax, fee, whatever it is that is being imposed on Dish.
My concern would be more that Dish is actually being assessed this charge. If it's being identified incorrectly, that's not a big deal in the end, but I would want to know they are paying it.

Please see here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-fo...increasing-taxes-satellite-3.html#post2890902

I looked into this last year because the taxes were not calculating correctly for me. Then, found this:

Special Purpose Districts - 1/8% (.00125) - 2% (.02), depending on local rate.

The tax rate should be (in Texas) .0625, which is the state rate, according to page 11 of this brochure from Carole Rylanders office http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxpubs/tx94_105.pdf

pursuant to the Federal Communications Act of 1996. Any taxes other than state imposed would (or should) be considered local and therefore not subject to taxation.

I agree Boba, this is a not very disguised attempt to gouge the subs by "keep it under a buck, Chuck". Companies gotta love it, most subs won't notice or question the charge, it's pure profit for Dish and they don't hafta do a thing to earn it. The state also enjoys the fruits of Chucks labor by getting .0625 of the "vig". Let's see, it's in two states now, how long before it hits all 50. (Yeah, I checked with potus and he sez there are 50 states this week.....) Second question, how soon before it spreads to Direct?

I next called the State Tax Office to inquire about the fee. The Tax Office told me Texas has no fees applied to delivery of satellite services...
Is it a local tax ? Municipalities can do that. If that's the case, maybe Dish is mis-identifying it as a "State of Texas" tax vs a "Gunter TX" tax. And remember, the state's tax office does NOT speak for any possible local taxes (imagine having to keep track of every city's, county's, township's tax rules !

You know...

Here in Connecticut we pay CT Gross Earnings Tax which is $3.96 and then on top of that I pay sales take on that which is another $11.48.

I am starting to wonder why we are being double taxed. I am going to have to research now.

The tax rate should be (in Texas) .0625, which is the state rate, according to page 11 of this brochure from Carole Rylanders office http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxpubs/tx94_105.pdf

pursuant to the Federal Communications Act of 1996. Any taxes other than state imposed would (or should) be considered local and therefore not subject to taxation.

pointed that out. on our bill (at least) taxes come in @ 6.39%. There was another thread about this a while back that got me looking into it.

http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/local/

Past thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-forum/252161-check-your-dish-network-bills-unauthorized.html

Last edited:
62 cents appeared on my bill as TX State Surcharge. So, Dish is not really calling it a tax. It would be better for a company like Dish to put an explanation of what a new tax/fee/surcharge is on a bill. It might just help them improve customer relations rather than just sticking something that looks like a made up fee on the bill.

62 cents appeared on my bill as TX State Surcharge. So, Dish is not really calling it a tax. It would be better for a company like Dish to put an explanation of what a new tax/fee/surcharge is on a bill. It might just help them improve customer relations rather than just sticking something that looks like a made up fee on the bill.
I do agree. It seems like it's based on something, what that is however who knows at this point.

Yea, even a quick "per HR bill number blah de blah" would go a long way for people that like to account for every penny.

Yes. Customer relations should be well worth the effort. And perhaps cheaper than dozens of phone calls inquiring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts