State of things with Dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Sorry, but IMHO the 722k was still one of THE best DISH receivers made...particularly if, you know, you want to actually watch satellite TV.
Just to be clear, I liked the post for this, not necessarily the edits that came later. :)

Yeah, I know. I actually had the $7 monthly credits to get the DVR fee-free for five years. During the last year of that run, I upgraded to a Hopper 1 because I got Dish to give me an additional $5 per month credit to finish covering the $12 per month fee. When Dish announced the last chance to get grandfathered at the $10 per month rate for ViP DVR's, I downgraded to a ViP612. Then, I went back up to a ViP722k after having too many problems with the ViP612.

Reactions: dare2be
Let's see. It is AT&T Fiber (Gigapower), so 6 tuners is a small improvement, not that we have any issues with 5 on the Genie.

The one thing you might want to consider, is that I would at least think you'd get more for you money doing a "double-play" on Gigapower - as opposed to buying TV from another provider.
That being said, this site has users with the Gigapower TV service you might want to ask questions to regarding it: (a couple that I saw seemed to give it positive reviews)

AT&T U-verse forum | DSLReports, ISP Information

At least you're ahead of the game compared to me. I've been paying the $7 fee this whole time. So maybe I'm the amateur, until the current $10 fee catches up to you. :)

When Dish announced the last chance to get grandfathered at the $10 per month rate for ViP DVR's, I downgraded to a ViP612. Then, I went back up to a ViP722k after having too many problems with the ViP612.

So do you mind if I ask, why you downgraded from the Ho???

You know what's interesting...I must not be the only one that thinks the 722k's are great receivers; when I went on e-bay to look around, about the only ones left are "new" ones (I SURE they're actually new/refurbed) that they are now asking almost $200 apiece for...while there are gobs of 612's (refurbed as well) for under $75. The prices at Solid Signal for these are the same, also.

You know what's interesting...I must not be the only one that thinks the 722k's are great receivers; when I went on e-bay to look around, about the only ones left are "new" ones (I SURE they're actually new/refurbed) that they are now asking almost $200 apiece for...while there are gobs of 612's (refurbed as well) for under $75. The prices at Solid Signal for these are the same, also.
Well, there is no real 3rd party demand for Hoppers (you can lease them cheap or free from Dish), and since the demand for the ViP flagship receiver will only just rise (since getting one from Dish is a lot more difficult), so will the price.

Reactions: pattykay
I have still have my 722 in the closet along with 211 in case I wanted to sub welcome pack or something temp at the lake. Got a 722 at my dads also after moving everything to TiVo and cox.

As a new Dish sub I wouldn't have a problem going H3 but as an existing sub I wouldn't unless they gave me a free no contract upgrade after fubarring the H1 and H2 along the rovi data problems that are still lingering.

...So, bottom line, you put your title in Search and if there is no incidence of known events coming up you will be offered the opportunity to Record Future Events....

Nope. Not on my HWS. If the show you want does not appear on the list, you can't tell it to record anyway/future events.

Other than 16 tuners & (perhaps) the 4-screen bar mode, what IS so friggen wonderful about it??? With all of the downgrades from the previous interface (sorry, but this IS a fact you or the DISH CSR drones can't refute) it has really taken away many capabilities for subs that want to actually watch satellite TV - as opposed to apps for this & that, that probably most subs could care less about.

Sorry, but IMHO the 722k was still one of THE best DISH receivers made...particularly if, you know, you want to actually watch satellite TV.

Unfortunately I'm VERY much aware of that also - but again, all I want IS properly functioning satellite DVR(s) that do NOT have to be babysit on a daily basis...which is NOT what I'm getting now.
And (again) I get it that some of the folks that think the H3 does everything including wiping you a$$...but again, they've been drinking the E* kool-aid too long. :rolleyes:

I've had a lot of different Dish receivers and I've sold a lot of Dish receivers so I have a lot of experience with them. I no longer sell Dish nor am I affiliated in any way with them any more, I'm just a customer like everyone else.

I have 6 HDTVs in my house and I like to be able to watch HD programming on the majority of them and I don't want to mirror the picture on many of them. Nothing in the VIP series of receivers is going to offer what the Hopper 3 system can offer me. That right there is the biggest reason why it's the best. Not only that but I can access my recording from the receiver and EHD from any TV I want in the house. I have the ability to watch Dish on one of my TVs by using the Dish Anywhere app. I also have a Wireless Joey which allows me to move it to a TV that doesn't get used often or even bring it with a small TV onto the porch with me to watch outside. With a wife and two kids I can record what everyone in the house wants without ever worrying about conflicts.

When I stayed with my parents for a couple months and went from my Hopper 3 to their 722k and 211 I couldn't believe how dated everything felt and restricted TV watching was. I couldn't believe that the VIP series was my favorite system for so many years after having the Hopper system. There is no kool-aid being drank here, just hard, cold facts and experience.

Just to reference the OP, isn't U-verse on life support? A report in April says they dropped another 233,000 subs. That's in addition to the 22.9% of it's subs it lost the previous year. With that track record I wouldn't think they would be a viable consideration. It wouldn't surprise me if they pulled the plug by the end of the year.

I have 6 HDTVs in my house and I like to be able to watch HD programming on the majority of them and I don't want to mirror the picture on many of them. Nothing in the VIP series of receivers is going to offer what the Hopper 3 system can offer me.
On the flipside, the H3 is overkill for a one or two-TV house, and the ViP series is a much better fit, especially financially.

I wouldn't use a sledgehammer to drive in finishing nails. :)

Reactions: pattykay and Tampa8
I've had a lot of different Dish receivers and I've sold a lot of Dish receivers so I have a lot of experience with them. I no longer sell Dish nor am I affiliated in any way with them any more, I'm just a customer like everyone else.

I have 6 HDTVs in my house and I like to be able to watch HD programming on the majority of them and I don't want to mirror the picture on many of them. Nothing in the VIP series of receivers is going to offer what the Hopper 3 system can offer me. That right there is the biggest reason why it's the best. Not only that but I can access my recording from the receiver and EHD from any TV I want in the house. I have the ability to watch Dish on one of my TVs by using the Dish Anywhere app. I also have a Wireless Joey which allows me to move it to a TV that doesn't get used often or even bring it with a small TV onto the porch with me to watch outside. With a wife and two kids I can record what everyone in the house wants without ever worrying about conflicts.

When I stayed with my parents for a couple months and went from my Hopper 3 to their 722k and 211 I couldn't believe how dated everything felt and restricted TV watching was. I couldn't believe that the VIP series was my favorite system for so many years after having the Hopper system. There is no kool-aid being drank here, just hard, cold facts and experience.
Very well stated Scherrman. My Hopper 3 system has been awesome. It has been so nice not to have to deal with conflicts anymore. No more recordings cutting off too short. I have 10 minutes end late on all my timers and don't have to worry that it will cause conflicts. HWS and the VIP722k are awesome DVRs. But the lack of not enough timers is a good reason to go with Hopper 3s. Not to mention how much faster it operates too.

Reactions: paulzzz
On the flipside, the H3 is overkill for a one or two-TV house, and the ViP series is a much better fit, especially financially.

I wouldn't use a sledgehammer to drive in finishing nails. :)

I have never said the 722 doesn't have a place, I just find the Hopper to be a much better receiver overall. I like all the added features it offers me. If I only had one TV and lived alone and had the choice between the 722 and the Hopper 3 I'd take the Hopper 3 unless the price difference was too steep.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I can't believe the nonsense here about old receivers. I've been through the 622s 722 and Hoppers. There is nothing out there that compares to a Hopper3. Mine has been a well behaved stable DVR from the beginning. I don't care how few TVs you have it is nice to never have to worry about schedule conflicts. Don't be fooled by the dinosaur lovers.

The biggest advantage the 722 has it the TV2 output for whole home distribution. It makes it incredibly easy to get TV to multiple rooms that do not need to be separate feeds. There is not another receiver out there that I know of than can do something like that. Trust me, I backed the 722 as the best receiver for a very long time.

A bunch of alphas with a few betas sprinkled in jawboning about which is the best receiver.

Hopper 3 is Boss!

Yeah, go ahead and delete this one too Mr. Editor.

Well, I'm 100% SURE that E* WILL, in all due time, do something to f'-up the H3's & make them either unstable, &/or neuter some more features, in order to add some more BS apps...it seems to be their M.O. these days. At least they do seem to be leaving well enough alone on the VIP's...so thankfully they seem to stay stable,

Just to reference the OP, isn't U-verse on life support?
The copper-based FTTN IS; the FTTH stuff is brand-new, so I do not believe it's going anywhere.

Reactions: pattykay
Who you calling beta? :D

I'll stick with my 722 and would have gone to the Hopper if the added features hadn't removed so many other features I use now.

I went straight from a 625 to an H3 and it was like going to sleep in 2005 and waking up in 2016. I must have
unwittingly skipped over all those features.

To me, 722 is like an area code.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts