State of things with Dish?

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
Not talking about the company here, just the technology. I am about to relocate, and I am very concerned I will be unable to continue my DirecTV subscription due to no LOS. My other options are U-Verse, Spectrum (which is a non-starter), and Dish. My testing of Sling and DNow tell me they are not ready to deliver the experience I expect at this time, so the streaming services are not an option worth considering for now. U-Verse is available due to AT&T Fiber being available at the new address, but it is somewhat limiting. Only 4 tuners on the DVR and no off-premises viewing of recorded content (yes, I could get a SlingBox I suppose).

My question for the fine people of SatelliteGuys is how are things in Dish-land? How goes the Rovi guide data transition? How goes the Carbon UI transition? How well is DishAnywhere working? As a new customer coming in, albeit with a long history of largely successful dealings with Dish in the past, what should I expect from the technology?

My Genie has been predictably reliable and boring, if limited, compared to the Hopper 2000 I used to have. It gets the job done and nothing else. It is an Accord sedan. What is the Hopper 2 or 3 in comparison today?

I think you folks get my drift. I look forward to the feedback.

Thanks,
Ted

U-Verse is available due to AT&T Fiber being available at the new address, but it is somewhat limiting. Only 4 tuners on the DVR

If you are actually talking about Gigapower (fiber to the home) their U-verse DVR actually has 6 tuners, FWIW

How goes the Carbon UI transition?

If you simply look at the first couple of recent pages of threads on the DISH forum, I think you'll see REAL fast about the CUI transition on us subs with H2K/HWS's! :eek:

While there are subs here that are SO totally geeked up about the H3/CUI, I am NOT one of them - it IS many steps backwards compared to the previous software! AFAIC, this IS the worst situation since having to deal with the infamous Dishplayers of years ago. For me, I'm am SO completely fed up with this CUI fiasco on my HWS's, I'm actually seriously thinking about going back to 722 &/or 612 receivers - as I am stuck on a 2-year price lock contract. I refuse to reward DISH on this TOTALLY botched "upgrade" (& I DO use that term VERY loosely!) by not only having to commit another 2 years to get a (supposedly properly functioning) H3 - I ALSO have to buy a 2nd H3 out of pocket, so that I have the same level of redundancy I have now.

I think you'll see REAL fast about the CUI transition on us subs with H2K/HWS's! :eek: While there are subs here that are SO totally geeked up about the H3/CUI, I am NOT one of them - it IS many steps backwards compared to the previous software!

While not discounting the valid transition/upgrade frustrations, a good bit of that would be irrelevant in his situation, since he would likely be coming back as a new customer. He would be getting an H3 and faster (somewhat) Joeys from day one. Depending on how long the OP had the original Hopper, and considering he is coming from more recent use of a Genie, I would think the CUI would not be quite the burden you paint it as being...and likely an upgrade from the Genie experience.

To the OP...Hardware-wise...the H3 is considerably faster than the old original Hopper you used to have. It also features 16 tuners, which may or may not be a big thing to you, depending on how much recording you do. I've never had a Genie, but it seems many folks who compare the two consider the H3 to be more advanced and the better performer.

I would ignore all the complaints about the transition of the CUI for existing customers because you are not an existing customer. You would be signing up for the Hopper 3 and wouldn't have to worry about any of horror stories from others. The Hopper 3 system is by far the best Dish system I have seen in Dish's history. Other receivers have their niche and can offer savings on equipment fees but if you are willing to pay for an awesome system that fits your needs then you won't be disappointed.

Personally I haven't had any issues with the cui on my hws nor has the rovi guide change really affected me but i guess everyone's experience is different, people I know with the hopper 3 speak very highly of it and when I'm out of my current contract I will consider it just so i can go from 5 tuners (super joey) to 16

Let's see. It is AT&T Fiber (Gigapower), so 6 tuners is a small improvement, not that we have any issues with 5 on the Genie.

I had my original Hopper for 2 years. Since then, I have had a Tivo Roamio OTA, and now the Genie HR54. Like I said originally, the Genie is nothing special. The C61k client is my biggest complaint about D*. It is just this side of unusable.

The features that matter to us are in relative order of importance:

1. Reliable recordings (one of the reasons I left Tivo (Rovi guide data)
2. Ability to download content for out-of-home viewing. (DirecTV's mobile app works, barely. Tivo's was great -- I could download stuff even when I wasn't home)
3. Ability to FF commercials (one of the reasons the streaming services with on-demand are not attractive to me)
4. Relatively speedy functionality. Slow software is bad software IMHO.

Thanks,
Ted

I'll never understand the crippling of the Seek and Record functionality in the CUI. Dish Pass was a robust and reliable tool for searching for and recording content, but on the ViP receivers with only 2 tuners, you really couldn't use Dish Pass to its fullest. Now with 16 tuners on the H3, Dish Pass would be a bonanza, but from what I've read, they severely limited the Seek and Record functionality on the CUI/H2/H3, making it useless.

Well, it sounds like Dish is a viable option at least, which was my concern. Thanks for all the replies and any additional forthcoming replies. I will able to check LOS today, so I will have a better idea what my choices will be soon.

I'll never understand the crippling of the Seek and Record functionality in the CUI. Dish Pass was a robust and reliable tool for searching for and recording content, but on the ViP receivers with only 2 tuners, you really couldn't use Dish Pass to its fullest. Now with 16 tuners on the H3, Dish Pass would be a bonanza, but from what I've read, they severely limited the Seek and Record functionality on the CUI/H2/H3, making it useless.
I spent about an hour yesterday playing with Seek on my H3 with the new CUI. Yes, there is a Seek if you now how to get there. You simply go to search and input your search criteria. I had better than 95% success setting up Seek timers based on my criteria. There were some times when a total blank came up and there was no timer settings to be had. Another one, for example, I was looking for Wings, the 1927 film that won the first Best Picture Oscar. All the search could come up with was the Wings TV show.

So, bottom line, you put your title in Search and if there is no incidence of known events coming up you will be offered the opportunity to Record Future Events....

Reactions: charlesrshell
So, bottom line, you put your title in Search and if there is no incidence of known events coming up you will be offered the opportunity to Record Future Events....
So, what about searching guest stars, program descriptions, year? Dish Pass allowed those kind of search matches.

For me, I'm am SO completely fed up with this CUI fiasco on my HWS's, I'm actually seriously thinking about going back to 722 &/or 612 receivers - as I am stuck on a 2-year price lock contract. I refuse to reward DISH on this TOTALLY botched "upgrade"
Just so you are aware, the ViP DVR fee is now $15 per month. So, you would be rewarding Dish by paying them more per month if you currently have the grandfathered $12 per month DVR fee for the (older than H3) Hopper models.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I've never had a Slingbox or Sling-enabled Hopper, so I have a question about how I could leverage it to avoid having several Joeys (and the additional monthly fees). It looks like Amazon FireTVs can support Sling-ing from the Hopper to a remote TV. Is it possible to do this within my house? If so, is there any limit to how many can be active at once? Any other devices, such as Roku (I see an app available, but it also requires a mobile device), that are well supported?

Also, I see mention of a Wally, which seems similar in functionality, but I am unclear on what all it does. Can anyone expand on what it is for? I see it mentioned a lot in reference to RVs.

Thanks,
Ted

Also, I see mention of a Wally, which seems similar in functionality, but I am unclear on what all it does. Can anyone expand on what it is for? I see it mentioned a lot in reference to RVs.
Currently, the Wally is a single satellite tuner + single OTA tuner (with optional OTA adapter) receiver that can be upgraded to a DVR by adding an external hard drive (just like the older ViP211 series) and uses the new Carbon User Interface just like the Hoppers. Support for a second OTA tuner should be coming "soon" if you use the newer dual-tuner OTA adapter. Unlike the ViP211 series, the Wally can also do VOD and Netflix.

Currently, the Wally is a single satellite tuner + single OTA tuner (with optional OTA adapter) receiver that can be upgraded to a DVR by adding an external hard drive (just like the older ViP211 series) and uses the new Carbon User Interface just like the Hoppers. Support for a second OTA tuner should be coming "soon" if you use the newer dual-tuner OTA adapter. Unlike the ViP211 series, the Wally can also do VOD and Netflix.

Oh. I didn't get that at all from the marketing content. That does not sound at all like what I need. Thanks.

BUT understand that unlike D* non-DVR receivers, the Wally (nor any other non-DVR receiver from DISH) will be able to do whole-house on a Hopper system. (ie: see & watch recordings on the Hopper)

Reactions: ncted
The Hopper 3 system is by far the best Dish system I have seen in Dish's history.

Other than 16 tuners & (perhaps) the 4-screen bar mode, what IS so friggen wonderful about it??? With all of the downgrades from the previous interface (sorry, but this IS a fact you or the DISH CSR drones can't refute) it has really taken away many capabilities for subs that want to actually watch satellite TV - as opposed to apps for this & that, that probably most subs could care less about.

Sorry, but IMHO the 722k was still one of THE best DISH receivers made...particularly if, you know, you want to actually watch satellite TV.

Just so you are aware, the ViP DVR fee is now $15 per month. So, you would be rewarding Dish by paying them more per month if you currently have the grandfathered $12 per month DVR fee for the (older than H3) Hopper models.

Unfortunately I'm VERY much aware of that also - but again, all I want IS properly functioning satellite DVR(s) that do NOT have to be babysit on a daily basis...which is NOT what I'm getting now.
And (again) I get it that some of the folks that think the H3 does everything including wiping you a$$...but again, they've been drinking the E* kool-aid too long. :rolleyes:

I'm VERY much aware of that also - but again, all I want IS properly functioning satellite DVR(s) that do NOT have to be babysit on a daily basis...which is NOT what I'm getting now. And (again) I get it that some of you guys that think the H3 does everything including wiping you a$$...but again, you've been drinking the E* kool-aid too long. :rolleyes:
I am not one of the ones drinking the H3 kool-aid. I actually have a ViP722k on one of my accounts, but I have the grandfathered ($10 per month) DVR fee. I just wanted to make sure you were aware that the old rate is no longer available.

Sorry crodules, I just reworded it...can't keep track of who has Ho's & who doesn't.
But also thanks for reminding me that they did also jack up the legacy DVR fee to $10 some time ago...I was thinking it was still $7.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts