Statement from Dish Network on VOOM Takedown

So Scott, since Dish abruptly dropped 10 HD channels, what do you think Dish will replace them with?

I would take Smithsonian and MGM over the lost 10 voom channels any day.

In fact, I will probably be calling to UPGRADE from essentials to get those channels, I downgraded as Voom wasnt showing anything new, and I couldnt justify $10 for HDNET Movies and Universal HD, but I can for those 2 along with Smithsonian and MGM.

In Gameplay HD you used to watch people playing games.

IN WFN, you see people fishing (but not in HD all the time).

That seems to be a fair replacement?:rolleyes:

Yeah, lol. Gameplay HD was pretty weak. I bet they are kicking themselves for not playing more bass fishing games.... :)

So, what value does the HD Ultimate bring you for $10 a month? Boom, you just lost 10 channels, but you still get to pay $10 more?
Ultimate previously added the Voom channels plus Universal HD and HDNet Movies (and maybe NBA & NHL...I don't recall). Ultimate now adds 5 Voom channels, Universal HD, HDNet Movies, Smithsonian HD, MGM HD, WFN HD, NBA HD, and NHL HD.

Hey now there are some of us who are huge fishing gurus, I watched this channel last night for 3 hours straight, love it:up

hope you liked letterbox SD.. i watched WFN for a bit also. I was furious that it was letterboxed SD..

waste of bandwidth.. and I'm a fishing fan.

Yeah, lol. Gameplay HD was pretty weak. I bet they are kicking themselves for not playing more bass fishing games.... :)

My son liked it (he is 15 and big gamer) but he said that he prefers G4 because they have Oliva Munn on Attack of the Show. I don't blame him. She is freakin smokin hot!

Ultimate previously added the Voom channels plus Universal HD and HDNet Movies (and maybe NBA & NHL...I don't recall). Ultimate now adds 5 Voom channels, Universal HD, HDNet Movies, Smithsonian HD, MGM HD, WFN HD, NBA HD, and NHL HD.

That's worth $5 to me tops. But...hey...that me.

Can someone tell me the difference between the $20 HD package and the $29.99 package?:confused:
The $20 package is called dishHD Ultimate, and is an add-on to the standard "America's Top" packages. With this you get the HD channels that have an SD counterpart in the "America's Top" package that you subscribe to, plus a few extra HD channels that don't have an SD counterpart.

The $10 package is called dishHD Essential, and is the same as dishHD Ultimate but without the few extra HD channels that don't have an SD counterpart. You only get the HD channels that have an SD counterpart in whatever "America's Top" package you subscribe to.

The $29.99 package is called dishHD, and is a stand-alone HD-only package. With the $29.99 package you don't subscribe to any of the "America's Top" standard packages. You just get all the HD channels.

Last edited:
Yeah, $10 a month extra for those channels doesn't really seem worth it. Now, if they were to add several other channels to this ultimate package, it might be. I'm seriously considering dropping to the essentials package now.

"we have removed some channels that are less popular with our customers. These channels are not available with any other satellite provider. The VOOM lineup removed consists of 10 HD channels."

It seems like E* wants to insure that the channels they removed don't show up anywhere else so I'm guessing they retain the exclusive rights to them and can return them anytime they feel like it. Could this be E* just playing hardball with RM?
I know there are many subs that have little use for VOOM but there are many that do and I'm sure Dish is hearing from those folks right now.

I would guess that in the future, any HD channel they add that doesn't have an SD counterpart will get dropped into the Ultimate package...but I could be wrong. I was watching Smithsonian HD last night and was really getting into that, so I guess I'll keep Ultimate.