Statement from Dish Network on VOOM Takedown

I just registered just to reply to this thread.

<<The VOOM channels were great when there was little other HD content...but Voom's time has come and gone...I don't think it's particularly relevant or compelling content.>>

Voom's channels were the only reason I chose Dish, and I was OK paying what I pay for the upper-tier HD stuff provided I got all those foreign films & monster movies in HD & commercial free. Other than the NBA Season Pass, Voom is all I watched. To think that they replaced commercial free, all HD content with reruns of Law & Order... it's just plain gross, and it's not what I signed up for.

I just spoke at length to Dish's phone support staff, and they're really trying, but to tell me to watch IFC (an SD channel I already had) in place of Film Fest and Kung Fu, well... that falls somewhere between silly and insulting. And Chiller is just a drag. They have given me some freebies to sweeten the deal, and to keep me around to see the 15 (!) HD channels they claim to be adding before the end of the month, but if it's just more HD versions of SD channels I already have, I'm out.

I recognize that the VOOM channels weren't for everyone, but that's what's called variety. It's great for the majority that they can now watch SD content on the HD tier, but for those of us that watched Spa Seekers, Treasure Divers, Zatoichi, and all the great Asian (not just kung fu) movies on those VOOM channels, this change is a deal breaker.

Well, I must say that I had been enjoying many of those VOOM channels that are now gone. I often watrched channels like Gallery, World Cinema, and the concise HDNews. World Cinema had a show on last month called "Box 507" and even subtitled from Spanish, it was a really good 'revenge of the little guy' film. And often those great Sci-Fi shows from the 1950's on Monster (gee, just last week was "The Thing" fondly remembered from a scary night at the movies in 1951). For me, the new channels do not compensate for the loss. So...I will join in another round of complaints to DISH....fooey....

In the current state of affairs I find it unlikely, because of Dish's influence, for fifteen channels of Voom to appear anywhere or on Directv. The spin doctors have with Dish's help managed to bury Voom. This fits in with Dish's strategy of not having to pay very much money for programming. Add to that programming incentives from major programming providers along with not paying for Voom anymore and still being able to dominate because of their service's clear superiority. Dish is clearly superior. Directv as a service sucks. This opinion is based on my expert analysis and on first hand knowledge of being a customer. The death of Voom in my opinion is a win win situation for Dish. The replacement of Voom is an unfortunate situation for current subscribers to Dish. Sometimes you do not appreciate something until it is gone. The customer that wants real variety, well they are just out of luck unless they think the channels they have now are variety. The bottom line for Dish is to keep their costs low. They just want to make money. Voom does not matter. All they have to do is provide a superior service which they already are. They do not really care about the true quality and variety of programming. We the ones who might have enjoyed the Voom programming get double screwed for being customers of the Great Dish Network.

Last edited:
Well, I must say that I had been enjoying many of those VOOM channels that are now gone. I often watrched channels like Gallery, World Cinema, and the concise HDNews. World Cinema had a show on last month called "Box 507" and even subtitled from Spanish, it was a really good 'revenge of the little guy' film. And often those great Sci-Fi shows from the 1950's on Monster (gee, just last week was "The Thing" fondly remembered from a scary night at the movies in 1951). For me, the new channels do not compensate for the loss. So...I will join in another round of complaints to DISH....fooey....

World Cinema was removed by VOOM not Dish Network.

After talking to Charlie yesterday, I honestly believe he wants VOOM. He just does not want 15 channels of VOOM which show the same programming over and over again.

After talking to Charlie yesterday, I honestly believe he wants VOOM. He just does not want 15 channels of VOOM which show the same programming over and over again.

Wow Scott, you probably shouldn't have said this. You are going to take the wind out of a lot of the bitching and gripping! :rolleyes:

I really want to say that this "15 channels" thing is somewhat of a red herring.

How did the frequency of repeats in the recent past compare with last Fall before the big dropoff (11/07)? Was Charlie complaining then? If VOOM returns to that level of programming why would he complain now?

It might be cost that's the issue or it might be capacity constraints. But once, hopefully, Dish launches satellites and gets close to its target capacity, what's the big deal with 5, 10 or 15 channels (I know, it's not my money :) )? There are inevitably going to be repeats but VOOM showed it was capable of carrying that number of channels before, so why not now?

I posted this in the "Voom goes Boom" thread, but what the hay...
My version of a revamped 8 channel (1 Transponder) Voom lineup. Rebranding/Identities are a bit tricky, but something could be worked out. I'm thinking we could all live with some variation of this.

First stab...I'm sure there are betters ways to slice/dice this...but 5 isnt quite enough...and of course, I accept that Voom is probably not interested in this but would be easier to market to other providers with bandwidth issues...

1. Equator
2. Monsters/Kung Fu
3. Rave/Ultra
4. Gallery/Treasure
5. Voom HD Movies/FilmFest
6. Family Room/Animania/Gameplay
7. Rush/Worldsport
8. HDNews

Also, not sure why new channels like Chiller, Smithsonian, and MGM are accepted as 'real' channels and Voom is somehow 'fake'...and has anyone seen how many repeats are on those 3 channels?!?

Oh, and map Voom down into 3 digit channel numbers! Subscribers might actually find them!

HD news is probably toast, it would be the most expensive one to produce and there is a ton of competition now (yes I know faux HD). Ironically it is the VOOM channel I probably tuned in most since it does headline news, but I would rather see the budget spent on the other channels with unique content.

Cablevision just bought Newsday so they could use them to feed content to HDNews. If they did then they could say that they spent 650 million on content.

He just does not want 15 channels of VOOM which show the same programming over and over again.
Hey, the man is consistent... He always "argued" in the past that "content" is what mattered. He didn't think adding a channel, HD or SD, just because it existed was justified. He wanted it to have good content first.

I would like to see Equator and Rave come back if any VOOM channels return. Rave had interesting concerts and Equator had quality programming.

Hey, the man is consistent... He always "argued" in the past that "content" is what mattered. He didn't think adding a channel, HD or SD, just because it existed was justified. He wanted it to have good content first.

what does Bravo HD offer in HD?

I dropped Dish Network. After 10 years overall, and 2 years of subscribing to the HD Everything pack (currently well over $120 per month), I finally had enough.

I should have dropped them 2 years ago when their sports hit an all-time low when they stopped offering MLB Extra Innings. And of course YES never showed up.

The more comparison I did between Dish Network and Directv, the more I realized Directv was the better deal. Essentially I would be paying $2-$4 extra per month, but I would have so much more content at my disposal. So clearly this is the path I am looking to take, although I am taking my time looking for a deal.

As for Dish Network, I am tired of the false advertising, the unfulfilled promises, and the second rate cheapskate approach. They aren't saving anybody any money, based on package comparisons. I'll gladly pay an extra few bucks per month for better options and more content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)