Statement from DISH - Not Getting the New HD?

I have no idea how they could charge anyone more than $15 tech visit fee for an upgrade they are forced to do.

I know I would be pissed, wouldn't upgrade, and would leave dish ASAP.

Last year, when I didnt get hd locals, they didn't charge me. I even explained that, but it's as if I was talking to a wall.

The supervisor was polite, but still not very helpful. The first loyalty rep was actively working against me.

I sent the email off... we'll see what happens.

It's not even a freakin upgrade... they don't seem to get that... they just kept saying "you agreed to the charge"... the text chat says that I do not agree with the charge, but send someone so I can get the tv I am paying for...

I enjoy the dish service. I think it's a pretty good value. They have my loyalty, but this etches away at it. It just flies in the face of common sense.

Last year, when I didnt get hd locals, they didn't charge me. I even explained that, but it's as if I was talking to a wall.

The supervisor was polite, but still not very helpful. The first loyalty rep was actively working against me.

I sent the email off... we'll see what happens.

It's not even a freakin upgrade... they don't seem to get that... they just kept saying "you agreed to the charge"... the text chat says that I do not agree with the charge, but send someone so I can get the tv I am paying for...

I enjoy the dish service. I think it's a pretty good value. They have my loyalty, but this etches away at it. It just flies in the face of common sense.

I agree 100%.

I am loyal to Dish because so far they've been good to me. But the recent raise in fees and this 'potential' issue really turns me off.

As soon as FiOS can give me the same amount of Red Wings HD games on the Center Ice package i'll start comparing prices. I'd really like to lose the ugly dish and combine all 3 of my services.

Here's my statement activity, just to get my 1000.4 in place. BTW, $100 upgrade charge is for 510 --> 612 receiver upgrade. What a freakin mess!

02/11 02/11 TECHNICIAN VISIT $15.00
02/11 02/11 HD SOLO DVR RECEIVER 02/11 TO 02/26 $5.71
02/11 02/11 LOCALS PACK 02/11 TO 02/26 -$5.69
02/11 02/11 AMERICA'S TOP 250 WITH 02/11 TO 02/26 $35.98
02/11 02/11 SOLO DVR RECEIVER 02/11 TO 02/26 -$5.71
02/11 02/11 UPGRADE CHARGE $100.00
02/11 02/11 HD & PLATINUM 02/11 TO 02/26 $5.71
02/10 02/10 LOCALS PACK 02/10 TO 02/26 $6.04
02/10 02/10 LOCALS PACK 02/10 TO 02/26 $6.04
02/10 02/10 AMERICA'S TOP 250 WITH 02/10 TO 02/26 -$38.23
02/10 02/10 AMERICA'S TOP 250 WITH 02/10 TO 02/26 -$38.23
02/10 02/10 AMERICA'S TOP 250 WITH 02/10 TO 02/26 $38.23
02/10 02/10 HD & PLATINUM 02/10 TO 02/26 -$6.07
02/10 02/10 HD & PLATINUM 02/10 TO 02/26 -$6.07
02/10 02/10 HD & PLATINUM 02/10 TO 02/26 $6.07
02/10 02/10 AMERICA'S TOP 250 02/10 TO 02/26 -$35.20
02/10 02/10 AMERICA'S TOP 250 02/10 TO 02/26 $35.20
02/10 02/10 LOCALS PACK 02/10 TO 02/26 -$6.04

Tech left, here is the summary:

1) Didn't have any trouble getting someone out here, did pay a $15 fee (which I am not going to get excited about, even on principle).

2) I had 2 - 500s pointed at 110/119 and 61.5. CSR put in the computer for the tech to put up a 1000.x to grab 110/119 and 129 and keep the 500 pointed at 61.5. However the tech said in his experience here in Upstate NY, the signals on 129 stink (about 10 points lower), so instead he put up a 500 Plus to grab 61.5, 72.7 and 77 and keep a 500 pointed at 110/119. (Attached is a pic).

3) The rumor is, and he fully admits is complete and total rumor, but that when Rochester, NY HD locals are added, it is going to be at 77. Therefore he is questioning why Dish would not get people pointed at 72.7 and 77 now, instead of doing it again later.

YMMV

Attachments

• dish.JPG
    dish.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 196
I am absolutely amazed at Dish's mismanaging this whole issue. First, they divided their customer base into "favored" - the ones who can get the new HD channels - and "unfavored", the ones who can not. Now they're trying to charge a pathetic $15 fee triggering confusion and anger amongst generally loyal and satisfied customers and potentially forcing them to quit Dish and look elsewhere for their TV services. Instead, they should've notified their HD customers about the new channels in advance and fix the equipment for free for those who were not able to get the new programming. This action would've had the word spread around and Dish could've acquired new HD customers! Really, if I were their supervisor, I would fire their entire managing dept right away.

Not looking good for me, I have a beautiful view for 61.5, but not an easy way for them to be able to mount the new EA dish :( Being in a condo, they can go anywhere along the roofline except into the shingles itself. He's on the phone with his office now to see what he can do. :(

-Mike

Well the contractor made some calls, and found another way to mount it when he went up on the roof after getting some suggestions. I guess his Plan B was there is a heavier mount he was going to get from one of the other contractors in the area if he couldn't do it. So far so good, especially one less dish on the roof :)

-Mike

I called Dish yesterday, talked to Tech Support. (I was one of the "small number" on 61.5/110/119.) Signed up for the protection plan and got my 2 dishes replaced today with a single dish on 110/119/129 for the $15 charge. Entire phone call only took a few minutes. Now have the new HD plus all the channels I had before.

I am absolutely amazed at Dish's mismanaging this whole issue. First, they divided their customer base into "favored" - the ones who can get the new HD channels - and "unfavored", the ones who can not. Now they're trying to charge a pathetic $15 fee triggering confusion and anger amongst generally loyal and satisfied customers and potentially forcing them to quit Dish and look elsewhere for their TV services. Instead, they should've notified their HD customers about the new channels in advance and fix the equipment for free for those who were not able to get the new programming. This action would've had the word spread around and Dish could've acquired new HD customers! Really, if I were their supervisor, I would fire their entire managing dept right away.

I don't buy into the "upgrades should be free" train of thought. I've been with Dish since the start & always figured any hardware upgrades would entail some sort of cost and $15 isn't unreasonable by any stretch of the imagination. For those who need a receiver upgrade, $50-100 isn't a bad deal, either, like I did a few years back upgrading from my old 3000 to my present VIP 622. In either case, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than paying full retail price (...or even wholesale price) for hardware upgrades. As for looking else for TV service, D* would be the only other reasonable option, though they don't have all of the same channels, with cable costing a LOT more and FIOS not even an option here (...and my understanding is that they're more expensive, too).

Tech left, here is the summary:

2) I had 2 - 500s pointed at 110/119 and 61.5. CSR put in the computer for the tech to put up a 1000.x to grab 110/119 and 129 and keep the 500 pointed at 61.5. However the tech said in his experience here in Upstate NY, the signals on 129 stink (about 10 points lower), so instead he put up a 500 Plus to grab 61.5, 72.7 and 77 and keep a 500 pointed at 110/119. (Attached is a pic).

3) The rumor is, and he fully admits is complete and total rumor, but that when Rochester, NY HD locals are added, it is going to be at 77. Therefore he is questioning why Dish would not get people pointed at 72.7 and 77 now, instead of doing it again later.

YMMV

BWinroc,

I live on Ridge Rd W in Spencerport. I had a Dish 500 with "I" adapter installed for 129. The Tech also tried to tell me I'd be lucky to 30-40 percent on my signal bar on my receiver.

In the end once installed the signal from 129 is 59-70 percent basically almost exactly the same as the signals coming from my 61.5 Dish and 119/110 on my Dish 500. Granted the elevation angle of the 129 Dish is 18 degrees, but I have a VERY clear view of the sky (NO TREE's or any other obstructions).

Don't let a Tech tell you the Footprint from 129 doesn't reach Western NY very well. This no longer the case, as Dish launched a new satellite to the 129 orbital slots with a MUCH better footprint in the Northeast as well as it radiating much more power than previous satellite at 129.

The Reason Dish is not moving Rochester subscribers to Eastern Arc now is that the SD locals only available from 110. Even if you get the locals via an OTA antenna as I do you would get no EPG GUIDE DATA if any Rochester HD subscribers were all switched out for Eastern Arc NOW without access to the signals from 110.

John

Last edited:
I am absolutely amazed at Dish's mismanaging this whole issue. First, they divided their customer base into "favored" - the ones who can get the new HD channels - and "unfavored", the ones who can not.

Oooooohhhhhh, conspiracy theory.

I agree that $15 is not much and personally I was more than willing to pay it. I paid $99 for an install of the 61.5 dish a year and a half ago, even though I have DHPP (or whatever it was back then) because the original install done also by a Dish Network technician was faulty. I was also willing to wait for a few weeks until I heard HD is not going to 61.5 - in other words I will never get new HD. But the fact is that I am not upgrading my service, I am simply trying to get what I paid for, they should make it right. I have contacted them 4 times now and can not get an install - even with paying the fee - the last call was unbelievable - I could not understand the gentleman at all and he could not understand my New England accent - which I admit is heavy. I have been a loyal customer and as long as I do not have to contact Dish a usually happy camper with their services. But, this run around and refusal to address my concern. I have asked for TW pricing and will see - I'd hate to give up my Dish DVR and external drive. This is the first time I ever considered leaving Dish.

Call back and try again, ot better yet go to twitter and post a tweet to @DISHNETWORK saying "Why does @DISHNETWORK want to charge me $215 to watch the HD I already pay for?"

I bet that will get a quick response. :D

The Dish Network Twitter twits never responded to my tweets. So much for them.

After a couple of calls to the ERT I was offered a VIP612 and an EA installation. They waved the upgrade fee. The $15 service call fee was not mentioned (Don't ask won't be told).

During the first call to the ERT I was told "The System" was down. She would call me back withing 2 to 4 hours. She did not call. You see they can't return calls until the phones are idle. Given the issue with the new HD, I don't think they will be having much idle time.

Is Dish Network waving the upgrade fee due to customer complaints?

Thank
Jim

I don't buy into the "upgrades should be free" train of thought. I've been with Dish since the start & always figured any hardware upgrades would entail some sort of cost and $15 isn't unreasonable by any stretch of the imagination. For those who need a receiver upgrade, $50-100 isn't a bad deal, either, like I did a few years back upgrading from my old 3000 to my present VIP 622. In either case, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than paying full retail price (...or even wholesale price) for hardware upgrades. As for looking else for TV service, D* would be the only other reasonable option, though they don't have all of the same channels, with cable costing a LOT more and FIOS not even an option here (...and my understanding is that they're more expensive, too).

Well just to play Devil's advocate... :D

What if DISH decided to go with a new compression protocol that required you to buy new receivers? Would that be ok to? Or what if they decide to stream shows over the internet and people don't have internet?

Not arguing, just exploring the question.

I'm just happy to be getting an EA dish because my 61.5 is hanging over my neighbor's property line. They don't care but I could see it becoming an issue if either of us tried to sell.

Posted this elsewhere but it's fitting for this thread asking for results.. background, i have 110/118.7/119 & 61.5 wing, in NYC 61.5 locals & 1 international.

Called in after deciding to upgrade 381 to VIP612. Upgrade charge for that is $99, fine with that. Also mentioned $15 service call fee w/ service plan. Wasn't happy with that. They said it is standard any time a tech has to come out.

Eventually went to sup, I asked if I never had HD and was calling to add my first HD receiver today, it would require the new dish, they say I'd still have to pay the $15 additional charge. I don't agree that a customer like that would have to pay it. (If they do that's a horrible way to treat a new hd cust now) But he said it was "coming from corporate."

He wouldn't budge, wouldn't go to a higher transfer.

I'm not wanting for these new channels that badly. I am more upset about the $15 charge (which seems like it could be $40 after you cancel the service plan) without the option of just saying I'll take a 24-month commit for the new install.

Especially when I'm supposed to tolerate having a $10 HD plan without all the current HD in it.

From what I remember w/ internationals or any big programming, if sats changed, they offered an option for a free upgrade to the new dish, that option appears to be gone now.

That's fine if that is their business decision but it's a horrible change to me.

Well just to play Devil's advocate... :D

What if DISH decided to go with a new compression protocol that required you to buy new receivers? Would that be ok to? Or what if they decide to stream shows over the internet and people don't have internet?

Not arguing, just exploring the question.

Well, in a way, they are as they move to MP4 over the old MP2 technology, and certainly it's required for new HD programming. Over time a customer will most likely be required to move on to an MP4 receiver and that will come at a cost. That's what happened when I moved up the the 622 a few years back, and now today in order to get the new HD channels (...and hopefully any future ones). No one ever said there would be free upgrades for life when Dish first started and, like I mentioned, I never thought this was the case. Unless my memory is failing, Dish has never made a sudden change where one day you have full access to everything and the next day you don't have any access - They've phased things in over time and it's up to the customer to decide if they want to upgrade and continue with Dish into the future. If the customer doesn't want to pay, they don't have to and, as others have mentioned, they're free to switch over to some other TV service provider - That's their decision. :D

Well, in a way, they are as they move to MP4 over the old MP2 technology, and certainly it's required for new HD programming. Over time a customer will most likely be required to move on to an MP4 receiver and that will come at a cost. That's what happened when I moved up the the 622 a few years back, and now today in order to get the new HD channels (...and hopefully any future ones). No one ever said there would be free upgrades for life when Dish first started and, like I mentioned, I never thought this was the case. Unless my memory is failing, Dish has never made a sudden change where one day you have full access to everything and the next day you don't have any access - They've phased things in over time and it's up to the customer to decide if they want to upgrade and continue with Dish into the future. If the customer doesn't want to pay, they don't have to and, as others have mentioned, they're free to switch over to some other TV service provider - That's their decision. :D

Well, I don't agree. But that's ok. :)

Well, I don't agree. But that's ok. :)

Sure it is.... Heck if we all agreed on everything, life would probably get pretty boring. ;)

When I started with Dish, I knew having a satellite service was going to be different, not like cable or other utilities. I look at it this way: They provide the service/signals that I pay for and I am responsible for the hardware to get the service/signals. Then, when I do have to make hardware changes, I'm happy for whatever deal they can give me, as opposed to having to pay retail for new hardware. So far, over all of the years, those hardware changes have been quite reasonable, ranging from free to $100. This time around, $15 got me what I wanted and will most likely be my only additional expense for another couple of years. Works for me.... :)

-snip-
Instead, they should've notified their HD customers about the new channels in advance and fix the equipment for free for those who were not able to get the new programming. This action would've had the word spread around and Dish could've acquired new HD customers! Really, if I were their supervisor, I would fire their entire managing dept right away.

Yea, let's see, Charlie had a tough choice: 1. Let current subscribers know well in advance that new HD is going on satellites they may not be able to receive, inform them they may need to upgrade, or 2. Don't let anyone know, launch the new channels so a not insignificant part of your customer base can't see them and don't let anyone who isn't a member of satelliteguys.us (i.e. have Scott in their corner) know they're not getting all the HD they pay for. Upgrade only those who call in.

For Charlie, it obviously was a tough choice to make. Says more about him than it does about the issue itself.

Personally, I don't mind the $15 fee, although I can sympathize with those who do. $99 is a bit tough to take but if you haven't been subscribing to DHPP all these years you probably saved yourself more than that. If you need to upgrade receivers that's a bigger hit but, again, from my perspective not too unreasonable. I just would have liked advance notice so I don't feel like a second-class citizen.

Sure it is.... Heck if we all agreed on everything, life would probably get pretty boring. ;)

When I started with Dish, I knew having a satellite service was going to be different, not like cable or other utilities. I look at it this way: They provide the service/signals that I pay for and I am responsible for the hardware to get the service/signals. Then, when I do have to make hardware changes, I'm happy for whatever deal they can give me, as opposed to having to pay retail for new hardware. So far, over all of the years, those hardware changes have been quite reasonable, ranging from free to $100. This time around, $15 got me what I wanted and will most likely be my only additional expense for another couple of years. Works for me.... :)

Yes, absolutely. When I went to a DVR, I paid the fee. When I went to newer DVRs, I paid the upgrade fee and the new monthly fees. When I went HD, I paid to upgrade to that twice. ( One DVR at a time. )

I'm ok with that model, really.

I think the real difference is whether this is considered an "upgrade" or "reconfiguration".

I think this is different because DISH offered new HD channels in packages that I am already paying for. I can only get them if I pay to rearrange my connection to DISH. Its not my fault that they ran out of capacity on 61.5.

I just think they should have come up with another solution or correct the issue for free.

Imagine if comcast said people need a new modem to get to google instead of yahoo. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)